New album Foregone out February 2023

Interesting thing in that interview is that they almost worked with Bergstrand for Clayman. Imagine that album with Reroute's production and how that would have affected the conversations around this band for the next twenty three years.
Though Bergstrand was responsible for Anders' "golden days". From R2R till SC.

Reactions: ThePhobiac
Imagine those beautiful melodies sounding distant and buried under a continually hissing crash cymbal... Imagine Pinball Map sounding like System... Imagine all the growling being taken out of the album. I'm glad that didn't happen.
Imagine after recording Clayman with him that that IF realize they made a huge mistake and go back to the classic sound with excellent crystal clear production. And yes they continue to experiment and evolve but every album sounds good if nothing else. Imagine IF establishing themselves as the gods of metal and heavy music, touring in their own jet like Iron Maiden. Imagine hundreds of active posters on this board in 2023, and no shit talkers.

Last edited:
We Will Remember I'm indifferent on - don't hate it, but don't really like it much either. Not Alone, though... yeah, I actually quite like it as well, for some reason. It feels like it belongs on Battles, honestly, but the production is a lot better which helps.

I also weirdly quite like the Battles title track, and Us Against the World. Not sure why, and I probably shouldn't, but for whatever reason they both click with me. Not in the sense that they're songs I'd seek out to listen to, but if they came on I'd be fine with listening to them.

Not Alone has a cool doomy kind of thing going in the verses which is why I like it. It reminds me of Paradise Lost or something. I don’t hate Battles (the song) either. It’s one of the most passable songs on the record imo. Nice chorus.

Imagine after recording Clayman with him that that IF realize they made a huge mistake and go back to the classic sound with excellent crystal clear production. And yes they continue to experiment and evolve but every album sounds good if nothing else. Imagine IF establishing themselves as the gods of metal and heavy music, touring in their own jet like Iron Maiden. Imagine hundreds of active posters on this board in 2023, and no shit talkers.

I'm now trying to imagine Reroute with Studio Fredman production. I'm pretty sure it would be a 9.5/10 at least. I don't even know how to begin imagining how Soundtrack would sound with that kind of production since the songwriting is so different, with the emphasis on heavy chordal riffs rather than lead melodies and solos.

Reactions: Pallbearer
Not Alone has a cool doomy kind of thing going in the verses which is why I like it. It reminds me of Paradise Lost or something. I don’t hate Battles (the song) either. It’s one of the most passable songs on the record imo. Nice chorus.

Not Alone reminds me of Say Just Words.

Whenever I listen to Battles (the song) I just imagine the members of In Flames in Green Day's Walking Contradiction music video:

Last edited:
Please, no more Clayman or Battles production, ever. Battles is shit and Clayman is weird in a wrong way. It's great that we have that record with that sound, but I would never want to hear that again on a new material.

Please, no more Clayman or Battles production, ever. Battles is shit and Clayman is weird in a wrong way. It's great that we have that record with that sound, but I would never want to hear that again on a new material.
Peak for me would be a cross between Whoracle and Colony.

Foregone ain’t bad though, but let’s listen to the whole album first.

Reactions: Jester Slave
Can't really imagine anyone who likes metal disliking the production on Clayman, honestly. It's an album that is revered across the metal community for its production values.

To me the main weakness of Clayman’s sound is the vocals. I’m fine with the “In Flames talking” and the singing. I’m talking about the harsh vocals. His voice sounds like it’s blowing out and lost the power of Whoracle and Colony. It’s not bad but it’s not as good as before. As far as guitars and instruments go, it’s nearly perfect.

To me the main weakness of Clayman’s sound is the vocals. I’m fine with the “In Flames talking” and the singing. I’m talking about the harsh vocals. His voice sounds like it’s blowing out and lost the power of Whoracle and Colony. It’s not bad but it’s not as good as before. As far as guitars and instruments go, it’s nearly perfect.

To be honest I think Anders' voice was legit blown out at that point, so they did the best they could. It's likely why they have that mumbling effect under most of the vocals, to give them some body.

It's pretty much the same on Reroute, the vocals are just more compressed than on Clayman which does give them a fuller sound, at some expense in regards to expressiveness.

Fortunately not for me, maybe because I'm not a musician, idk. Thankfully I have no issues with the Clayman sound whatsoever.

Reactions: eochaid
I mean it's one of those albums that most people have heard like a million times, it's so deeply ingrained into your mind that you likely don't mind a single thing about it. And that's normal, it's a killer album.

Pretty much, yeah. By the time I started really giving a shit about production I'd already listened to Clayman over and over.