New album Foregone out February 2023

It’s been a long fucking time since IF has put out an album I love from start to finish. Hell even Whoracle and Colony had weak slow sections of the album that I often skipped in the old days.

These days I just look for a couple songs I like and make my own EP. If I could get 5 songs that would be great. 2-3 good songs would still be enough if the rest isn’t terrible.

I was introduced to IF one song at a time. Downloaded on super slow dial-up from IRC. I didn’t hear the full albums until a long time later. So for the most part I’m comfortable with single songs from IF. They were never an album band like Opeth for instance.

Reactions: DE4life
I'm glad Bjorn is fully aware of the December Flower requests, lol. Hope to hear it live soon. :D

I wonder why Anders and the rest of the band were so siloed off from each other during the Siren Charms sessions after they had such unity during the SOAPF recording. Imagine what it could have been had everyone been in sync with each other.

Last edited:
They weren't together during the R2R to CC and that wasn't that bad.

And, even if they were together during the SOAPF recordings, Bjorn asked the rest of them to allow him to make all of the music by himself. And Anders kept on doing his part by himself without asking anyone else. Yes. There were talk about the development of the different songs. But still, it didn't feel like a real collaborative effort.

Now, what happened when they put themselves together to work? Battles and I the Mask.

So, that's for everyone to judge if working together is good for them, bad for them or if it doesn't make a difference.

Last edited:

2 days ago he said that he is still in contact with Jesper and that he still runs restaurants with Peter. He's talking positive things about the skillset of the band members and how they are great guys, but somehow he didn't hear much of their music... strange..
Its not like they are some unknown fellas from the other part of the globe..

Reactions: galvanized
That's the issue here. In an interview for a Spanish magazine he says that he just listened, by chance, to a song at the radio while driving his car but that he's not interested in listening to anything else than his old records (I think this is referring to his collection, not old IF albums).

But, maybe, for Swedish people relations are different than from the most of Europe.

There is also a recent interview with Daniel Svensson on youtube, and he says that he still follows In Flames and listens to everything they do... He talked about the singles from Foregone and how the songs are strong and amazing etc... So I guess not all the Swedes are the same haha

Reactions: eochaid
There is excerpt from my interview with Bjorn.

This one is about December Flower & Siren Charms.

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/b8...N_TDL_01&utm_medium=email&utm_source=sendgrid

Interesting thoughts on Siren Charms. Mostly because I feel the depressive atmosphere of that album. It's a part of why I don't like it. Just a part... there are many reasons why I don't like it. But that depressive element is certainly one of them. I find it to be a "downer" of an album and I don't like the way it makes me feel. Now I know why. I really don't see December Flower making a comeback into a setlist personally. Maybe they were testing the waters with something like Stand Ablaze, but they dropped it pretty quick. I've said it before, but it's really kind of their own fault that those songs "don't get a reaction." They never play them. Put out a live album with some classic tracks on it, play an old school set once in a while. Do something that introduces the newer fans to that period of the band. Music is not digested the same way anymore. People go on Spotify or Apple Music or whatever the fuck and they listen to the singles, they listen to the new stuff or whatever has the most plays. There isn't a lot of listening to an album front to back anymore it seems. If they want a reaction of the classic material, they need to do something to make that music more accessible.

2 days ago he said that he is still in contact with Jesper and that he still runs restaurants with Peter. He's talking positive things about the skillset of the band members and how they are great guys, but somehow he didn't hear much of their music... strange..
Its not like they are some unknown fellas from the other part of the globe..

I was curious if him and Peter still ran 2112 together or not. I guess they do. I'm getting the feeling that maybe it's Anders who has the problem with THE guys. Just a guess though. Anders is way more abrasive. The Australian interviewer even touched on it the other day. And I've seen and experienced, albeit in a very, very small way, how hard he can be to get along with. Maybe when people leave In Flames, he takes it a bit too personally. Who knows?

Or maybe he's just a cold distant person. It doesn't seem like him and Bjorn have had too.much contact during the pandemic period, which feels weird.

I am just glad that my social life is not over-analyzed by strangers, because I'd tear my hair out reading about fanfictions, where people run the little nuggets of information they heard about me regarding friends or acquintances and vice versa through friendship theory, and reach some whimsical conclusions. I mean this is some tabloid level discussion.

Our Shakespeare had a great point about Anders and Jesper being extremely similar, so most of the awkwardness comes from them. Plus IF has probably been pissy about hearing "IS THIS OLD IN FLAMES????" for like ~23 years now, I mean we are all fucking tired of these questions and discussions and its not even our band. I can understand why it's just an extra layer of annoying, that now they get the additional THE questions as well. I skimmed through two THE interviews yesterday with Peter, and he seemed equally annoyed, when the interviewers were talking about old IF sound. IF wants to be IF, THE wants to be THE. Anders and co. could've gotten better media training, but metal musicians near their 50s won't give a crap about that.

You didn't mention it, but it also sunded to me that there were arguments with Niclas about his availability to tour. Once again, you could kinda understand both sides.

I have no doubt Bjorn has listened to THE, and probably in private has spoken with the other guys about it. I get the feeling he's just trying to be diplomatic in public interviews and doesn't want to say anything that might rub Anders the wrong way, as he's going to be working and touring with him for some time yet.

It's clear Anders and Jesper both have issues which make them awkward to work with at times. I think the rest of the guys involved are pretty laid back and chilled bros, though, so they just try to get on with it as best they can.

There is also a recent interview with Daniel Svensson on youtube, and he says that he still follows In Flames and listens to everything they do... He talked about the singles from Foregone and how the songs are strong and amazing etc... So I guess not all the Swedes are the same haha

I cant find it though, any link would be awesome.

There is excerpt from my interview with Bjorn.

This one is about December Flower & Siren Charms.

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/b8...N_TDL_01&utm_medium=email&utm_source=sendgrid

Çok iyi sorular sormuşsun dostum, devamını merakla bekliyorum :D Never thought I would speak Turkish here, hope to hear full interview soon :D

Reactions: burank666
Anders being dismissive and short-tempered in interviews is probably the last genuinely honest thing surrounding this band nowadays. I've listened to that Bjorn interview and the amount of sugarcoating was too much for me at times.

You were, literally, saying that a song was talking about Jesper though they never claimed that. So how is that different? It's not.
It was the first record after they have effectively forced Jesper out from the band because they couldn't maintain a healthy working relationship anymore. Then the song's first verse and the chorus is about an individual to whom they have to bid farewell, even though it hurts the protagonist(s?), because this person holds him/them back, so it has to be done, because it is not the first time that issues had surfaced, but this time it reached its breaking point.

Damn right I am going to take a wild, wild shot in the dark and wager that the song is at least partially inspired by Jesper. I don't know why would you compare this to suchs discussions like "Jesper gave a thumbs up to a new IF record, so why can't Anders be nice????? Is Anders a psychopath???? Is he a big bully?????"

It was the first record after they have effectively forced Jesper out from the band because they couldn't maintain a healthy working relationship
And we're the ones who a speculating. You have just rewritten the story based on your own bias :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:.