New album Foregone out February 2023

What you have to keep in mind is the current state of his voice. No matter what he does at the studio, when singing live, I can hear how his voice is a mess. That is not helping him with the screams and even less with the cleans. Those have always been bad because, I said this before countless times, he cannot sing, but now they also show the damage that he has done to his own voice.

In that Burn video it sounds like they had one of the other members sing backing vocals as well. That was a wrong move. It’s the juxtaposition of Anders and those cleans at the same time that make it sound even worse. Like a shitty band at the local college bar.

All the backing vocals on ,, I, the Mask" doing Bryce Paul and Burn is one of the best of this album, Andres screams sounds amazing on this record

In that Burn video it sounds like they had one of the other members sing backing vocals as well. That was a wrong move. It’s the juxtaposition of Anders and those cleans at the same time that make it sound even worse. Like a shitty band at the local college bar.

Well, Ander's skills and Bjorn's attitude are closer to a school band than to a professional band.

I believe Bryce does live backing vocals for I, the Mask tracks,- but only I, the Mask Tracks - as he was doing so for Deep Inside & Call My Name when I saw them in Norwich but not any other songs.

Bryce wouldn't be the first IF bassist to do backing vocals live. I believe Johan Larsson did the same during the brief TJR tour.

Cool to hear Anders' backing tracks on that song. I remember hearing some of the backing tracks on Siren Charms, too -- some falsettos here and there.

The backing tracks on Passenger are a bit funny, btw -- I think Anders is great on that album but the backing tracks and harmonies are just his voice pitched up, so he sounds like a little kid (Disarmonia Mundi is guilty of this on their Mind Tricks album, too, so it's not uncommon). There was some studio magic on that album, haha.

What I get from this discussion:

"Bryce is doing backing vocals on ITM":
"Nope. Bryce is doing backing vocals on ITM".
"No. Just listen to this. Bryce is doing backing vocals on ITM".

Most concert-goers are happy to even finally see their bands perform live, I doubt setlist variance is a priority right now. That being said, Graveland is an absolutely asinine choice. I also don't get why you play dead ships and monsters in the ballroom within the same set, especially if you are already playing chosen pessimist.

Most concert-goers are happy to even finally see their bands perform live, I doubt setlist variance is a priority right now. That being said, Graveland is an absolutely asinine choice. I also don't get why you play dead ships and monsters in the ballroom within the same set, especially if you are already playing chosen pessimist.

The band seem to have a thing about Graveland, as it's been one of the regularly played tracks off TJR for a while now. Either Anders and/or Bjorn really like that song, or more likely it's just the easiest song off TJR to play, therefore the one they choose to play.

It's probably the simplicity of the composition. Most of the songs on TJR have layers and layers of guitars playing over each other, or are long and somewhat repetitive. Occasionally they break out Moonshield/The Jester's Dance to change up the setlist's tempo but Graveland is pretty brass-tacks, fast, and straightfoward.

Yeah, but don't buy into the IF narrative that the TJR songs are super difficult to play live and/or sound like shit live because of "the layers". They aren't and they don't. Anders and Bjorn are just lazy af.

Might not be the coolest take, but I think the last two times I've seen them (2019 and 2022), they've been fantastic. I wasn't spending the show thinking "this band is a shadow of its former self" - instrumentally, the songs sound really good and Anders spends most of his time growling (for the most part, really well in my opinion), which means that even the newer material sounds closer to the classic stuff.

Also, finally, after seven shows, I heard one song from Whoracle live. Fair play, it was the Hive, which has been the 'go-to' song from that album for the last 10 years or so, but it's a belter, so I don't mind. I still hope that one day I get to hear Jotun live. I enjoyed the little "tour" through the band's history, which is a significant improvement on the "we play nothing from before Reroute" approach that has been the case during some tours in the past. I'd go and see them again in a heartbeat.

I saw IF multiple times between 2005 - 2010 and I'd say that 2019 was probably the second best performance I'd seen by them, only narrowly edged out by 2006, which had a better setlist and the original band members.

upload_2022-3-26_10-33-51.png

It was a damn good setlist for the 06 show. Behind Space, Moonshield, Crawl Through Knives, fucking Vacuum :cool: