New album Foregone out February 2023

In fact, mixing is a different process from production. The producer sit down with the band, gives advice on the songwritting, provides input on the music, structures of the songs, riffing, druming, singing, and directs the recording process.

Almost every album that I know of has different producer and mixer and all of them differentiates production and mixing. This is why we can read things like "Produced and Mixed by In Flames" as an example.

For example.

Insomnium's Winter's Gate.

Produced by Insomnium.
Mixing, Mastering: Dan Swano.

Or this:

Whoracle
  • Recorded and produced by Fredrik Nordström with assistance from In Flames
  • Engineered by Anders Fridén and Fredrik Nordström
  • Mixed by Fredrik Nordström and Anders Fridén
I The Mask:

Production and design

Battles:

Other personnel
  • Howard Benson – production
  • Mike Plotnikoff – engineer, mixing
So, maybe Broderick cannot tell the difference between a producer and a mixer, which would be weird, or maybe he misunderstood the question.

Yeah I think for whatever reason Broderick was conflating producing and mixing. Seems like Benson and co are still producing as per Battles and ITM, but mixing might be done by somebody different to last time. I thought ITM was mixed okay, but the Clayman rerecordings were terrible.

Reactions: eochaid
That's why I don't understand why he's talking like that. Even if they don't know who's doing the mixing they know who was producing the album because they had to work with him.

Either way, partly involved Benson is better than fully involved Benson. I agree that ITM was mixed well, but Clayman rerecordings and Battles weren't ( Underneath my skin, Through my eyes).

From what I understand, Benson is as involved as he was in the previous albums. They are just trying a different person for the final mix, and Benson was not a part of that.

From what I understand, Benson is as involved as he was in the previous albums. They are just trying a different person for the final mix, and Benson was not a part of that.
Benson doesn’t mix so they aren’t saying much. Lord Alge did ITM and Clayman. A different guy named Plotnikoff did Battles. Plotnikoff also was involved on ITM and battles with a different title.

Bottom line, they are all Benson’s friends and listen to Benson. IF choosing a mixing engineer is an illusion of choice. They get to choose among Benson’s choices.

And Bjorn has been working his riffs with one of Benson's coworkers. Which is good because a 50 years old guitarist should need the help of others to make music.

Lately I've been listening to the IF channel on Spotify. Phone version so the playlist is fixed at random.

There's this something interesting that I have noticed. There are songs that have preference upon others. They have more chances to appear in the playlist when started from zero.

So far, there are two albums with zero representation, that is, Lunar Strain and Siren Charms. It's odd considering that the collaborations that they have done with other artists have appeared during the reproduction

If I create my own playlist by adding all of the albums, only the first one applies but there's more variety in the random played songs.

From memory I think Siren Charms is the only album available for free on Amazon music. I can remember asking my parents' Alexa to play In Flames when they first got it, and having had to listen to me play IF a lot during my younger years, they genuinely thought Alexa had got it wrong and was playing a totally different band :D I had to sadly confirm that yes, this weird dude crooning about destinations and missions is indeed Anders Friden and this is In Flames.

Reactions: Jaymzkrueger
But SC is also on Spotify. Is just that no song is being played for me when I play their channel.

Absolutely love this track :cool: brutal, melodic, great vocals from both Anders & Lisa, fantastic lyrics that actually mean something rather than just cry about how unfair life is, drumming is intense as fuck.

Compare to When the Toilet Explodes :guh: in 10 years they went from producing solid gold to disjointed nonsense.

I was going through the Battles thread for the In Memoriam thread and came across this post from Ciko...

Did anyone else noticed the song title thingy on the video? I'll write them down :

"Like Sand"
"The truth that hurts the most"
"Underneath my skin"
"Handsome"
"Link funk"
"Punk"
"Testament"
"Blood of a sinner"
"This is our house"
"Here until forever"

Note the second from last song title... "This is our house"... which appeared on I, the Mask. So was House a Battles reject, or did they just recycle the song name?

Well anyway, here's a cool YouTube video. In Flames Live in Montreal, 1999. Not too many full sets from this time period floating around on video.

Also, wtf, how have I never come across this?

A US show from 2000 with ...As the Future Repeats Today being played at the 52 minute mark! Sound quality sucks but I think this is the only live video I've ever seen with ATFRT on the set list.

Also, wtf, how have I never come across this?

A US show from 2000 with ...As the Future Repeats Today being played at the 52 minute mark! Sound quality sucks but I think this is the only live video I've ever seen with ATFRT on the set list.

Awesome show, also Swim, Embody the Invisible, Scorn, … light on TJR songs but otherwise great set list.

Energy that night sounded crazy. The crowd was going wild.

Well anyway, here's a cool YouTube video. In Flames Live in Montreal, 1999. Not too many full sets from this time period floating around on video.

Recording quality is great. Love the zoomed shots of the solos on the guitar frets.

Energy of this one is incredible as well. Really shows how feral the fans were in the early days.

As it turns out there have been a lot of shows from this time period uploaded to YouTube in the past few months and years!

Stuttgart, August 1997:

Worcester, MA - November 1999

Mexico, September 2000 (another ATFRT live performance!)

New York, November 2000

Toronto, November 2000

Gothenburg, August 2001

Gothenburg, December 2001

Furnace Fest in Birmingham, Alabama - August 2002 - this crowd is fucking shit. Anders totally screws up Bullet Ride on this one, forgets like 60% of the lyrics :D forgets most of the Embody the Invisible lyrics as well, wtf. Is he drunk? I can't remember many shows where he forgets the lyrics to these two, and this is 2002, so it's not like either of them are brand new...

Gothenburg, October 2002

Gothenburg, November 2002

Vancouver, September 2009

Last edited:
Reactions: eochaid