New album Foregone out February 2023

It seems like someone is missing the old times a lot. But, I'm afraid, we're a minority right now. This only looks good to the few of us who still prefer those times.

Well yeah, but until news about the new album starts coming out in earnest there will only be about 4 of us posting here regularly, and we're all fans of old school IF... so rock on :cool:

Reactions: eochaid
Oh man, those 1999 setlists! So sad they haven't played Stand Ablaze since that time. Also, Clad in Shadows. Welp, at least they have started playing Behind Space again, it was the highlight of their last 2020 show in Saint Petersburg. The crowd also really loved it (can't say as much about Graveland)

Zombie Inc is another one that rarely gets a runout since 1999. Played briefly on a handful of shows in 2008, but otherwise that's it.

fun fact: our favorite HeAvY aS fUcK mEtAl song Everything's Gone has been played 270 times already: that's the same as Satellites and Astronauts(88), Coerced Coexistence(86), Dead Eternity(42), Transparent(31) and The Jester Race(23) combined! Such a hit, amirite?

Reactions: DE4life and eochaid
Furnace Fest in Birmingham, Alabama - August 2002 - this crowd is fucking shit. Anders totally screws up Bullet Ride on this one, forgets like 60% of the lyrics :D forgets most of the Embody the Invisible lyrics as well, wtf. Is he drunk? I can't remember many shows where he forgets the lyrics to these two, and this is 2002, so it's not like either of them are brand new...
Lol, I was there. I would be in the front row with my friend but I think we were more center or center right. I didn’t see myself yet.

It was hardcore / metalcore (before metalcore sounded like it does now) fest with 50-75% of the bands Christian. It was outdoors in this concrete industrial furnace area. Some other weird bands played as well. Like Andrew WK.

At that time many people in that scene were just discovering In Flames and At the Gates. Remember in 2001-2005 was basically the explosion of metalcore as we know it.

Metalcore history

Mid/late 90s until about 2001/2002 — chaotic style like Botch, Coalesce, Converge, Zao

2001/2002 until about 2007 — inspired heavily by ATG, IF but streamlined. Killswitch Engage, Shadows Fall, Darkest Hour (started copying ATG a lot earlier but were an outlier), As I Lay Dying (dude tried to kill his wife so don’t become a fan), Falling Cycle, Atreyu

(Personally aged out of this scene so becoming more unclear)

2006- 2010ish(?) — Deathcore (Emmure, and similar)

2008ish- present(?) — Djent (inspired by Meshuggah) like Tesseract

Anyway, at Furnace Fest they were playing outside their scene. Crowd was lame but I guarantee 2 years later many of those people were rocking to IF and many of the American metalcore bands they inspired.

Also, after they played IF, signed my Colony booklet which was awesome. I just saw it yesterday.

It seems like someone is missing the old times a lot. But, I'm afraid, we're a minority right now. This only looks good to the few of us who still prefer those times.
To me that’s pretty crazy. They had some seriously good vibes back in those 2000-era videos. High energy, crowd absolutely rabid. Obvious everyone in the band feels it too. Hell even Jesper is naturally smiling in a lot of them. Any new fan that looks back at those would recognize they really had something special at that time. And by the way, the guitar work sounds fine. So the excuse about the songs being too complicated to play live is obviously bullshit.

Reactions: DE4life and eochaid
Furnace Fest 2021 did happen by the way, after 18 years of not happening. Furnace Fest only happened 2001, 2002, 2003 I believe.

Interestingly, In Flames is confirmed for Furnace Fest 2022 !!! I might have to try to make it somehow.
https://www.furnacefest.us/

To me that’s pretty crazy. They had some seriously good vibes back in those 2000-era videos. High energy, crowd absolutely rabid. Obvious everyone in the band feels it too. Hell even Jesper is naturally smiling in a lot of them. Any new fan that looks back at those would recognize they really had something special at that time. And by the way, the guitar work sounds fine. So the excuse about the songs being too complicated to play live is obviously bullshit.
I seriously think that new fans don't care about that era.

Their fanbase is probably divided, now, between die hard fans of the melodesth ear, the less, fans of them till Jespers departure, fans from soapf onwards and fans from soapf onwards so embarrassed that they pretend that they like their whole discography.

There shall also be some real fans of their whole discography but that's probably due to some serious mental illness.

Reactions: DE4life
I seriously think that new fans don't care about that era.

I think thats right. In the London gig 2 weeks ago I saw most people enjoying and rocking out to the post 2006 songs, there was a lot less crowd action when songs like Graveland, the Hive, Colony were played. Behind Space was a bit of an exception as I think they consistently play that.

Well, I also think that the band are the ones to be blamed for this. They have been "alienating" older fans by focusing on setlists that are, mostly, enjoyable by new fans. The last tours were basically songs from soapf onwards with a few older hits.

By doing that they're not trying to bring new fans to enjoy the full catalogue but they're also showing some that they considere those "new fans" their main fanbase now.

Reactions: DE4life
Lol, I was there. I would be in the front row with my friend but I think we were more center or center right. I didn’t see myself yet.

It was hardcore / metalcore (before metalcore sounded like it does now) fest with 50-75% of the bands Christian. It was outdoors in this concrete industrial furnace area. Some other weird bands played as well. Like Andrew WK.

At that time many people in that scene were just discovering In Flames and At the Gates. Remember in 2001-2005 was basically the explosion of metalcore as we know it.

Metalcore history

Mid/late 90s until about 2001/2002 — chaotic style like Botch, Coalesce, Converge, Zao

2001/2002 until about 2007 — inspired heavily by ATG, IF but streamlined. Killswitch Engage, Shadows Fall, Darkest Hour (started copying ATG a lot earlier but were an outlier), As I Lay Dying (dude tried to kill his wife so don’t become a fan), Falling Cycle, Atreyu

(Personally aged out of this scene so becoming more unclear)

2006- 2010ish(?) — Deathcore (Emmure, and similar)

2008ish- present(?) — Djent (inspired by Meshuggah) like Tesseract

Anyway, at Furnace Fest they were playing outside their scene. Crowd was lame but I guarantee 2 years later many of those people were rocking to IF and many of the American metalcore bands they inspired.

Also, after they played IF, signed my Colony booklet which was awesome. I just saw it yesterday.

Hah, that's cool. Did you know footage of the show was out there? How much did you know about IF at that point? Was it obvious Anders was totally fucking up the lyrics to a bunch of the songs, or did you not really notice?

That excuse has always been bullshit. Older era songs sound absolutely fine adjusted for a live environment. It's no different to having to amend current tracks with backing vocals because Anders obviously can't reproduce 100x vocal layers live as they do in studio.

I think thats right. In the London gig 2 weeks ago I saw most people enjoying and rocking out to the post 2006 songs, there was a lot less crowd action when songs like Graveland, the Hive, Colony were played. Behind Space was a bit of an exception as I think they consistently play that.

I think from memory the oldest song that was played when I went in 2019 was Colony. They played Pinball Map as well. Both are fairly well known IF tracks though, so got a very good reception as you'd expect. No idea what the reaction would have been like if they'd busted out Artifacts or Jotun. Probably decent but not as good as the reaction for songs between the Reroute - SOAPF era.

Hah, that's cool. Did you know footage of the show was out there? How much did you know about IF at that point? Was it obvious Anders was totally fucking up the lyrics to a bunch of the songs, or did you not really notice?
Didn’t really seek the video out, I hadn’t seen it before. I think my friend taped some of it on his camcorder though. I was a big fan of IF at that point. They had been my favorite band for about 1 year at that point. Me and my friend both went. At that point we were big metalheads already. But most other people there, not so much. I don’t remember noticing those songs being messed up. To be honest they were one of the most professional bands there those few days. The matching white jumpsuits really stood out from all the other bands wearing black tshirts, tight jeans, and white emo belts. Emo was big back then. We were just hyped to be there, head banging hard in the front somewhere. We were trying to watch Jesper and Bjorn.

Terrible quality, but still quite a rarity, Passenger performing In Reverse live... presumably around 2003/2004?

Graveland from a 2022 show. TJR songs with Anders' deeper growl actually sound pretty good.

I don't like all the songs on the Passenger album, but Clowns, In Reverse, Just the Same, Circles and & I Die Slowly are all solid tracks.

She came to see our city
She came in the dead of the night
I tried to introduce him
But she got scared and ran away

I dread to think what this verse is about though. You tried to introduce "him" to her and she ran away, Anders? Who, or should I say what, is "him" exactly? Should the police be involved?