New album Foregone out February 2023

I personally don't see it happening. I think, and I try to say this in the most respectful way I can, that Björn and Anders simply lack a work ethic when it comes to the Studio and composing- not in pure physical terms, but mental. They went through the pandemic without writing any new music- an amazing, ripe time to dwell in your home studio and compose amazing songs. Instead they, again, threw them together in a house in LA off the cuff. Why!? They've noted in interviews that it's really an unfortunate means to an end (playing live!) - so it's something they have to "get through". I somewhat expect that they suffer from a feeling of dread when it comes to writing and make production choices to alleviate that as much as possible.

It seems that Benson makes the actual process of writing and recording an album really smooth and enjoyable. If I were to play armchair psychologist, I think he takes some of the pressure away when it comes to figuring out what is good and what is bad (just that we all here can agree that his version of good is not in tune with our own).

Meaning essentially: working with Benson feels good - it takes away the uncertainty, the nervousness, the creative standstill that can happen when the creative process is entirely on your shoulders. It makes sense, but it also means we're all screwed as In Flames fans because the brine is getting fucked with fundamentally.

Heck- working with Benson has even made the process of replacing members smooth and easy as all of these people are in some way associated or connected with him.

From a fan point of view, the picture you are painting is so fucking depressing :dopey:
And the worst thing about it is that you're probably 100% right :lol:

Reactions: Xpyro125
Speaking of Fellowship...

I don't need anyone to listen to the whole song, but specifically between 01:52 - 01:56 - does anyone know where is this from? That melody is extremely familiar to me but I have no idea where from. It's going to seriously bug me if I can't figure it out.

Reactions: galvanized
Sounds like from a video game I played in the 00s...

I'm actually the opposite as far as SOAPF goes. I think Anders sounds awful on that record, just barely better than he sounded on ASOP. While the cleans on Foregone are annoying, they're actually listenable to me.

Sounds like from a video game I played in the 00s...

I'm actually the opposite as far as SOAPF goes. I think Anders sounds awful on that record, just barely better than he sounded on ASOP. While the cleans on Foregone are annoying, they're actually listenable to me.

I can understand that. Anders' vocals actually aren't much better in terms of technique on SOAPF compared to ASOP. The main difference is production/mixing. I think it works really well and blends together much better than ASOP, but I can understand somebody still being like 'nope'. Also some people have no problem with vocals being autotuned, processed, layered into a mashed, unidentifiable paste. Hell, that's how most pop music sounds these days. Benson knows that better than anyone.

Reactions: ThePhobiac
I tend to lurk here when IF is releasing new stuff. Not been active poster at forums since everdying/jesterass times. I share your disappointment again with this one. Anders ruins potentially decent album. Singles were okay, but this album feels like it should be IF/P.O.D. split album…

I made a negative comment about his clean singing at one of their IG posts and it got deleted immediatly.

I tend to lurk here when IF is releasing new stuff. Not been active poster at forums since everdying/jesterass times. I share your disappointment again with this one. Anders ruins potentially decent album. Singles were okay, but this album feels like it should be IF/P.O.D. split album…

I made a negative comment about his clean singing at one of their IG posts and it got deleted immediatly.

IF cult doesn't allow negative comments, or comments about THE. That's why this place is a refreshing change.

In my experience the conversation around this band has tilted negative ever since STYE came out, so seeing any positive comments whatsoever is usually a surprise, lol. Even out in public, when I hear someone say something positive about IF I think to myself "is this real life?"

In my experience the conversation around this band has tilted negative ever since STYE came out, so seeing any positive comments whatsoever is usually a surprise, lol. Even out in public, when I hear someone say something positive about IF I think to myself "is this real life?"

Bruh, look at their socials, it's literally just positive comment after positive comment. The FB thread is kind of sickening in how much arse is being licked.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of that was astroturfing. Then again, who can say? Plenty of bands I don't like have millions of die-hard screaming fans. Maybe they've just pulled in a lot of new fans who love their new stuff way more than we could imagine.

By the time album #17 rolls around they'll be saying "Foregone was their last good album." :D

Guys, I don’t know what to say.

Initial reaction is that this is just ITM or Battles but with really good production (really liking the clear bass) and more metal?

I mean, there are cool parts here and there throughout, but I’m struggling to find a song I want to listen to over and over.

My favorite part is the intro to A Dialogue in B Flat (reminds me of Voices and Dead Ships). I like the high pitched vocals on Pure Light of Mind. I like the bass on Cynosure. But I’m not sure if I really like any of these songs?

A lot of these riffs sounded familiar even though I was listening to the songs for the first time. I can’t tell if they have repeating themes across multiple songs or if they are from other albums. I think IF has succeeded in sounding like themselves, but not in a great way. Like, I’m not sure if I’m gaining much by listening here?

I usually do not prefer the IF singles or title tracks (going back forever), but in this case it seems that the singles might actually be the best this time? And State of Slow Decay is still the best overall?

I don’t know guys, I need more time to digest.

Speaking of Fellowship...

I don't need anyone to listen to the whole song, but specifically between 01:52 - 01:56 - does anyone know where is this from? That melody is extremely familiar to me but I have no idea where from. It's going to seriously bug me if I can't figure it out.

Dunno man, but thanks for the recommendation. Listening through this album instead of IF right now.

Reactions: DE4life
Dunno man, but thanks for the recommendation. Listening through this album instead of IF right now.

It's probably the best album I've heard in a good year plus. One hell of a debut, and they're from a place 20 miles or so from me, which is very cool :) my favourites are changing daily, but right now I think it's Glint. The guitar work around midway into the song is really awesome, and I've had "I've always been worthy, I've always been worthy, I've always been worthy" stuck in my head the entire day.

Dude, I feel like I remember your name from Everdying. Was it Anzi on there?

I wish the chorus of Cynosure could be deleted. Because otherwise the song is really cool. I like the verses and the middle section.

The 50 second middle drum/bass instrumental interlude is awesome and heavy! The whole 2:32-3:24 is awesome, 2:55 gets heavy with the guitars and drum work, then that guitar bendy part at 3:07 adds a ton of atmosphere.

Seriously, I just love the atmosphere. This 50 second part is seriously my vibe, wish I could just have a full instrumental version that builds and expands.