New album Foregone out February 2023

I never heard this, love how more raw and energetic it feels than the actual Colony production. Anders sounds great here, every word is screamed with actual conviction and feeling.

Man I miss old In Flames.

Yeah man, back to da rooootz. Remember that time on Colony where Anders' clean vocals were processed to the point where it didn't sound like him? Remember when they did those sweet ass riffs on Slaughter of the... err, Clayman... all those clean sung choruses on Whoracle, brought back to perfection. Those solos on the album, like they took stuff from unreleased portions of Dialogue With the Stars.

And let's not forget Anders'low growls which were so prominent back in the day. Dude's vocals were so deep and gutteral on Clayman that he literally sounds like satan himself.

Back to da rooooooootttssss!

Yeah man, back to da rooootz.

It's the same as with movie reviews. People will always find a way to praise something no matter how bad it is.

Probably the reason nobody really reads reviews anymore or take them seriously.

It's the same as with movie reviews. People will always find a way to praise something no matter how bad it is.

Well, we've been trashing IF reviews here since Siren Charms, so we were well ahead of the curve :D but yeah, just because released singles sound more metal doesn't mean back to da rootz, literally just means they sound more metal. It's funny seeing people say "after hearing the singles I thought this would be the greatest album since [insert older album here]", as if TGD and MYM couldn't have come from ITM, which is now being retrospectively shit on by the same people who were probably frothing at the mouth talking about how it's the best album ever and back to da rooootz three years ago. Clowns.

Reactions: A88

I mean people still read reviews, but it serves as a tool for self-confirmation bias. "Hey should we go and see Avengers #42151? We've already seen all the 42150 of those but lets check the imdb just to be on the safe side of things...".

Same goes for music, and even for non-mainstream music like metal. These youtuber reaction channels, as much as I cannot stand them, they are the new go-to news outlets for this kind of music. They get some freebie promo stuff in exchange for favorable reviews and everyone is happy. This is nothing new, it's been going on even back in the 90s be it music or video games or anything else.

Idk about music or movies, but here in UK at least our game magazines could be quite brutal in the 90s :D if a game was shit they'd usually say so with like, 20% score or something, even if it was quite well known developer. Then again pretty much all of those magazines went out of business, so... :rofl:

Gaming magazines went out of business in mid 2000s when internet and gaming websites/forums expanded. I actually know a few people who worked for a gaming magazine in the playstation 1/2 era and the amount of free stuff they would get without asking is insane. If it was one of those AAA publishers there would usually be giant figurines, free artbooks, soundtracks, posters, paper holders, everything. It's the small unknown games that would get thrashed. And if you dared to give a negative review not only would all that be cut down, you wouldn't even be sent free sampler cds with the games to review at all.

Reactions: DE4life
Magazines I'm thinking of went out of business during the 90s, so maybe the publishers genuinely did get tired of their shit and stopped supporting them :D

Also feel like we need a post Clayman back to da rootz scale to keep track of how rootsy in flames are being at any given point. I'd say something like:

Reroute: 7
STYE: 2
CC: 7
ASOP: 5
SOAPF: 4
SC: 1
Battles: 0
ITM: 2
Foregone: 10

I'm actually going to wait for the next album where hopefully Anders will go back to the roots of Siren Charms/Battles. That era Anders when he was a gym bro for about two weeks and took all his photos in a wifebeater was a criminally underrated Anders saga. The narrow liminal space that was post-winter beanie Anders but pre-paddie hat Anders. I feel like those were some good roots worth excavating at some point in the close future.

I should also clarify that my scale doesn't necessarily correlate to how much I like an album. For example I can say SOAPF isn't very rootsy but I still like it. Meanwhile Foregone is a total rootsfest, basically TJR part 2, but personally I'm not a fan.

I'm actually going to wait for the next album where hopefully Anders will go back to the roots of Siren Charms/Battles. That era Anders when he was a gym bro for about two weeks and took all his photos in a wifebeater was a criminally underrated Anders saga. The narrow liminal space that was post-winter beanie Anders but pre-paddie hat Anders. I feel like those were some good roots worth excavating at some point in the close future.

Yes, hard man Anders is best Anders.

Reactions: drawntoblack
I think this scale is useless sorry.

Each of these, especially post SOAPF albums get a straight 10 for rootziness and an 11 for innovating the genre beyond our wildest dreams.

How-hard-was-Anders scale sounds like a better idea.

Reactions: drawntoblack
And if I'm being honest, my scale was mainly just there to highlight how utterly and insanely roots infested Foregone is.

I think he was just trying to act cool in front of the American bros and Benson. Like those school movies where the dork tries to fit in with the cool kids, then eventually they accept the person for being who they are, and they go back to being a loser/douche, but they've accepted it now so it's okay.