New album Foregone out February 2023

I dunno, I don't think it's necessarily a direct diss to Anders & Bjorn, but all of the ex-IF members here either left the band because they disagreed with the direction of the band or didn't want to do the full on touring schedule anymore. A project like this gives them more creative freedom and less pressure to tour.

There are some interesting narratives at play here, though, for sure. I think Peter's comments in his recent interview are very telling:

During a January 2021 appearance on the "Vox&Hops" podcast, Iwers was asked if he ever misses being on the road. The bassist replied: "Yeah, absolutely. Well, 'miss' is kind of the wrong word. I loved being on the road for most of the years that I was with [IN FLAMES], and I miss the good times. I have no regrets as far as leaving, but, of course, sometimes I really miss just being free and out and playing shows and traveling to new places every day. But I have plans. Maybe this will happen again in the future — not with IN FLAMES, though, but, yeah, we'll see."

"I love being on the road for most of the years I was with In Flames", "I miss the good times" and specifically saying if something does happen in the future it won't be with In Flames suggests something went on there.

We all know Jesper's view on things, and the Engelin situation is really weird. Again it seems like something went on that we don't know about. If I had to guess I'd say most of it does probably centre around Anders, as Bjorn seems to be a bit more chill and we know he's still on good terms with Jesper, whereas Anders is not.

Honestly, I would have loved for Bjorn to be in this project instead of Engelin. No disrespect to Niklas but Jesper, Bjorn, Peter and Daniel in the same band with Stanne on vocals? To a fan of both IF & DT in the 90s/00s that is practically a wet dream.
Nicolas has some solid melodeath albums on his back.

Nicolas has some solid melodeath albums on his back.

Yeah, but probably not since the late 90s/early 2000s? Kind of the same as Jesper - they both technically have the ability but haven't shown it in a really long time.

Also, Bjorn joining would have made this IF 2.0. and, seriously, there's no point in doing that.

This seems more the kind of, let's do something with people that I feel comfortable.

Also, Bjorn joining would have made this IF 2.0. and, seriously, there's no point in doing that.

This seems more the kind of, let's do something with people that I feel comfortable.

Depends on how you view Anders' influence. I get the feeling Bjorn is someone who just goes with the flow and doesn't try to make any waves, which is why he's currently slumming it in In Flames with Anders and the bros. If he was in a different project with people who wanted to make an album that was a mash up of early IF and DT I think he'd contribute more than Niclas. Nobody can deny the chemistry between Jesper and Bjorn, it was awesome all the way to the very end. I'd love to see that again, especially with Stanne who can not only growl but sing properly as well.

Also for me "IF 2.0" is what existed after ASOP. If Jesper/Bjorn/Daniel/Peter & Mikael Stanne produced an album together it'd be more like continuing the spirit of the original In Flames, rather than the bastardised version we've had to suffer with since Jesper left - and this is coming from someone who genuinely liked SOAPF.

I'm having a fever dream right? I've been sick for a few days now but didn't know it was so bad

Hope you're feeling better soon bro!

Nope not a dream, as evidenced by the fact even in the excitement of the album the IF UM crew are still arguing about Anders being a dick :D

Depends on how you view Anders' influence. I get the feeling Bjorn is someone who just goes with the flow and doesn't try to make any waves, which is why he's currently slumming it in In Flames with Anders and the bros. If he was in a different project with people who wanted to make an album that was a mash up of early IF and DT I think he'd contribute more than Niclas. Nobody can deny the chemistry between Jesper and Bjorn, it was awesome all the way to the very end. I'd love to see that again, especially with Stanne who can not only growl but sing properly as well.
At this point, after seeing some people's reactions on facebook, I think that it's time to note that the classic IF sound was made by three guys. Jesper, Bjorn and Glenn. And I bet that Glenn's contribution is being highly underrated.

Reactions: galvanized
Also for me "IF 2.0" is what existed after ASOP. If Jesper/Bjorn/Daniel/Peter & Mikael Stanne produced an album together it'd be more like continuing the spirit of the original In Flames, rather than the bastardised version we've had to suffer with since Jesper left - and this is coming from someone who genuinely liked SOAPF.
IF have suffered too many transformations at this point. By IF 2.0 I mean that's what people would be expecting of them. But, I'm not sure that Stanne has any interest in doing some IF music style.

Now I'm seeing the writing credits for the old albums. And, I didn0t realize, Jesper has four solo tracks in Whoracle: Gyroscope, Jester Script Transfigured, Episode 666 and Whoracle.

Last edited:
At this point, after seeing some people's reactions on facebook, I think that it's time to note that the classic IF sound was made by three guys. Jesper, Bjorn and Glenn. And I bet that Glenn's contribution is being highly underrated.

We're talking two slightly different eras there though. Glenn was only around for the Lunar Strain/TJR/Whoracle period, and from interviews I've read Bjorn didn't contribute to much creatively during that time. Creatively the Bjorn/Jesper combo is responsible for Colony - ASOP, which Glenn obviously wasn't around for.

I wouldn't expect that we'd hear anything like TJR/Whoracle from a Jesper/Bjorn combo, but something similar to the albums after that would be possible and potentially amazing.

IF have suffered too many transformations at this point. By IF 2.0 I mean that's what people would be expecting of them. But, I'm not sure that Stanne has any interest in doing some IF music style.

I mean, people are kind of already saying this, but to me that wouldn't be a bad thing anyway. Who wouldn't want to hear more stuff that sounded similar to Colony/Clayman/Reroute/Come Clarity? It'd be a collective jizz in the underwear moment for most of us. I agree that Stanne wouldn't necessarily want to go down that route, but he's pretty creative himself and I'm sure he'd find ways to make it sound different enough for the music to stand on its own merit without being compared to the IF glory days.

At the end of the day, Stanne is joining a 'supergroup' with four ex-In Flames members... so he's got to anticipate there will be a level of expectation around what the music will sound like - that being heavily In Flames inspired. It may not be, but it's understandable for people to think that regardless of whether it's Niclas or Bjorn in the group.

We're talking two slightly different eras there though. Glenn was only around for the Lunar Strain/TJR/Whoracle period, and from interviews I've read Bjorn didn't contribute to much creatively during that time.

I also remember that. And that's odd because he's part in many writting credits: Artifacts of the Black Rain, Lord Hypnos, Wayfaerer, Jotun, Food for the Gods, Dialogue with the Stars, The Hive and Morphing into Primal.

What I meant is that the sound was stablished by three men. Or maybe by one man with the collaboration of other two, seeing that, in TJR and Woracle, Jesper is credited in all of the songs (band's own songs) but one.

I wouldn't expect that we'd hear anything like TJR/Whoracle from a Jesper/Bjorn combo, but something similar to the albums after that would be possible and potentially amazing.
Albums that include STYE and ASOP.

I mean, people are kind of already saying this, but to me that wouldn't be a bad thing anyway. Who wouldn't want to hear more stuff that sounded similar to Colony/Clayman/Reroute/Come Clarity?

I'm not sure if that's possible with Stanne as a singer. I don't think that's possible with Stanne as a singer. With influences for that era, yes. But the singers, their voice, have lots of influence in the stlye of the music that musicians will write.

Past and present* members of In Flames have reunited under a single banner... Ladies and gentlemen, I call this "The Halo Effect."

It's a strange way of looking at it, but the COVID pandemic -- and the restrictions on touring that have resulted from it -- has led to a golden age of Gothenburg-borne solo projects and collaborations. Grand Cadaver, Mitochondrial Sun, Anders' new electronic project, the return of The Lurking Fear, the legendary Tuboyz, whatever Anders Jivarp is working on, The Halo Effect...

I'm so hype and have no expectations for The Halo Effect, and I'm not going to assume it'll sound like In Flames. But it's very likely that I'll enjoy it. Bring on the new projects!

*I believe Engelin is still a member of In Flames and will continue to believe this until there is an official announcement indicating otherwise.

I don't see how "golden" and "Anders' new electronic project" might belong in the same sentence unless it's about a golden shower.

Reactions: DE4life
I also remember that. And that's odd because he's part in many writting credits: Artifacts of the Black Rain, Lord Hypnos, Wayfaerer, Jotun, Food for the Gods, Dialogue with the Stars, The Hive and Morphing into Primal.

What I meant is that the sound was stablished by three men. Or maybe by one man with the collaboration of other two, seeing that, in TJR and Woracle, Jesper is credited in all of the songs (band's own songs) but one.

Sure, but when I'm talking about realistic expectations from a Jesper/Bjorn collab I think it'd be after the TJR/Whoracle period. I've always felt IF's sound took a massive shift from Whoracle to Colony, which was probably when the bulk of the songwriting duties lifted from Jesper and were shared with Bjorn.

Regardless, I sadly don't expect we'll ever hear Jesper/Bjorn in the same band again, which I think it a huge shame.

Albums that include STYE and ASOP.

Yes, but both of these albums were butchered by production. STYE does have some really nice guitar melodies, as can be heard when the songs are played live, they just sound worse on the album because the sound is so fucking flat. It isn't their best work by any means, but STYE still blows most of post-ASOP stuff out of the water (SOAPF excepted).

ASOP is instrumentally really good, but again, fucked up production combined with Anders' shitty vocals ruins it.

I'm not sure if that's possible with Stanne as a singer. I don't think that's possible with Stanne as a singer. With influences for that era, yes. But the singers, their voice, have lots of influence in the stlye of the music that musicians will write.

Sure, I'm not saying we'd get a Colony 2.0 or Clayman 2.0, but something with those kinds of influences would be great. I'm sure they could find a way to make it work.

I'm so hype and have no expectations for The Halo Effect, and I'm not going to assume it'll sound like In Flames. But it's very likely that I'll enjoy it. Bring on the new projects!

Personally I hope for something like this

Regardless, I sadly don't expect we'll ever hear Jesper/Bjorn in the same band again, which I think it a huge shame.

Agreed. They make a great duo.

Yes, but both of these albums were butchered by production. STYE does have some really nice guitar melodies, as can be heard when the songs are played live, they just sound worse on the album because the sound is so fucking flat. It isn't their best work by any means, but STYE still blows most of post-ASOP stuff out of the water (SOAPF excepted).

To me, STYE is one of the less interesting albums from that era. The music is, in general, too simple and mostly serves as a background to Anders voice with some exceptions. I still like it but was disappointed by the "lack of effort" in the guitar work.

I found those snipets boring. I cannot have a good opinion on someone who, despite being in the business for 30 years, still cannot put two consecutive right notes live and needs the help of protools to hide his inability to sing in the studio. He should be sincere and use the autotunes live or just use a backtrack for his vocals.

I like ambience music and electronic music. This just seems boring. Not original. Uninteresting.