New album Foregone out February 2023

upload_2021-10-30_19-3-44.png

Hopefully puts to bed the bullshit about this being a 'fuck you Anders' project.

Also I would seriously love it if this project covered a Lunar Strain song. Upon an oaken Throne '21.... fuck yeah.

You're mistaking being excited with having a boner.

It scares me that how you know me so well man..

View attachment 29652

Hopefully puts to bed the bullshit about this being a 'fuck you Anders' project.

I mean we all know that he won't say " Of course its about fucking Anders, we all hate that guy.". He / they wont say anything cause even though they hate Anders, I'm sure they respecting enough Björn to not say anything.

Time will tell if we're gonna see another Jesper interview that shitting on IF..

Man, I remember the days when it was me, Eochaid and A88 being shit on by the likes of you and Slave for supposedly making stuff up about the former IF members hating Anders :D how the tables have turned.

Even if Peter/Jesper/Niclas do have animosity with Anders, I'm sure it has 0% to do with them creating this project. Peter & Jesper already collaborated before in Cyhra briefly and Peter/Daniel have a brewery business together, so it makes sense for the three of them to come together to do something if they are all feeling like they want to produce some new music.

If there is a song called "Pallars Anders Wanker" on the album, however, I will concede your point.

Reactions: A88 and ciko_gfb

Yeah. I don't see people joining together just to say fuck you to Anders. If they wanted that, then they would have fired him from IF a long time ago.

I don't understand what kind of comment that is. So, they make a band and it's all about Anders? Dude, what's on your mind? Like, seriously...

I don't understand what kind of comment that is. So, they make a band and it's all about Anders? Dude, what's on your mind? Like, seriously...

It's not like I'm putting a gun to those dudes and saying you hate Anders, its just an assumption by the events happened since every one of them left IF. And the " :D " part in the comment should make it clear that I wrote it cause it would be funny? That was the reaction that comment get btw, nobody wrote like "OMG DUDE HOW COULD'VE YOU EVEN THINK THAT"

Sometimes I cringe seeing these dudes get directly exposed to some of these weird-ass fan theories.

It's not like we're talking science here pal, what's wrong with you?

I actually dont get why are you guys get weird about this anyway.

Haha, fair enough. I think my comment seemed more serious than it was.

I guess it's just always been my assumption that band members don't like to talk about drama within their bands, which makes it awkward when they're asked about drama that's mostly been propagated by fans, or when instances of drama (Jesper shitting on Anders, or even Anders Jivarp shitting on Mikael and Martin B on Instagram a while back) are jumped on and assumed to be part of something bigger, and they get asked about that, too.

It's not like I'm putting a gun to those dudes and saying you hate Anders, its just an assumption by the events happened since every one of them left IF. And the " :D " part in the comment should make it clear that I wrote it cause it would be funny? That was the reaction that comment get btw, nobody wrote like "OMG DUDE HOW COULD'VE YOU EVEN THINK THAT"

That's, mostly, what they replied to you.

Weird was your comment to their post and an emoji doesn't make it better.

Sinking ship comments coming from Jesper in 3 2...

Ah yes. This proves that you were not serious and that you're not obsessed with Anders at all.

Now, instead of admitting that you did something wrong, you put the blame into others for not understanding your "joke". I've seen that before.

Just noticed the comments for the Clayman rerecordings on YouTube have all been turned off :D guess IF weren't best pleased by everyone telling them the rerecordings suck.

Reactions: eochaid
But....how? Why?

They were so good? I thought everybody likes plastic sounds and bad singing?

Jokes aside... Clayman rerecordings just show that even great songs can turn to shit when you have a bad producer and a terrible singer. Basically, ASOP situation taken to the extreme.

Yep, if Clayman had been released sounding like the rerecordings I would have thought it was shit. Or, more accurately, good ideas destroyed by production and vocals. As you say, ASOP situation all over again.

I know IF hated working with Nordstrom, especially towards the end, but the rerecordings just underscore how vital he was to the band's sound back then. If he'd produced Reroute as well I'm sure it would have been received much better than it was. I don't think he would have allowed them to create STYE as it was - and it's funny because I can remember Anders saying when he heard the end result of STYE he was disappointed by the lack of melodic guitar work. That's why you have a producer who pushes you to be your best, rather than one who just sits back and allows you to wallow in mediocrity.

Seriously, imagine somebody listening to this - Nuclear Blast execs, Anders, Bjorn, whoever...

... and thinking 'yeah, this could do with a remaster'. It's fucking ridiculous. I've been listening to the songs off Clayman for 20 years now, and never once have I ever thought 'this is great, but I wish the quality was a little better'. Literally not once has that thought ever come into my head. These songs still occasionally give me goosebumps despite the fact I must have listened to them thousands of times each by this point.

There are for sure some albums and songs where I listen to them and think 'this is good, but it's a shame the production is sub-par'. From an IF perspective Lunar Strain, Reroute, STYE and ASOP especially. But Clayman? Fucking Clayman? Then to not only go and remaster something that was absolutely perfect as it was, but rerecord those songs to make them sound a thousand times worse? Total lunacy.

That is actually a great point.

Out of all available IF albums (and all of them have some flaws soundwise, some small some gigantic), they choose to remaster and partially rerecord the one with landmark sound that still holds out perfectly to this day. It is just hilarious.

From what I remember (haven't listened to the remastered versions of the songs since the abomination was released) the remastered versions of the songs basically sounded no different to the original tracks. If there was a difference it was minimal at best and not worth the effort. In fairness if I was the person in charge of remastering Clayman I'd be scratching my head as well, wondering what the fuck anybody could do to make these songs sound better. It'd be like being given the Mona Lisa and being asked to improve it.

It's not like there aren't great albums that can't be remastered to sound better, either. Dragonforce's Valley of the Damned was great, but the remaster made it sound even better. DT's Damage Done was incredible but the remaster improved it even further. What can you do with Clayman, though? They nailed it first time around in basically every way. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the original.

I'd be psyched for a remaster (emphasis on remaster, not rerecording) of Reroute or STYE. Even Come Clarity could be improved with a few tweaks. ASOP is kind of fucked either way because the vocals would have to be rerecorded. There is zero reason to touch Clayman, though, beyond a pure nostalgic cash grab. That's all it was. Milk the remaining old school fans, even though from what I saw pretty much all of us shit on the idea. I would love to see what the sales were for Clayman remastered. Probably nowhere near as high as they had hoped.

On the subject of IF albums and their sound:

Lunar Strain - Half-amateurish sound. Would like to hear it with a better mix and some parts rerecorded.

The Jester Race - Could be better I guess, but I think the weird guitar sound gives this one a lot of character and uniqueness.

Whoracle - The guitar sound in this one is all over the place and a bit muddy. Also and more importantly, more competent drumming and better drum sound would do wonders for the overall impression.

Colony - Sounds great, but the cymbal sound annoys me.

Clayman - Pretty much the best-sounding melodeath album ever... and then they fucked it up 20 years later.

Reroute to Remain - Muddy sound and guitar melodies are buried in the mix. Works for the vocals though. Hides Anders inability to sing quite well.

Soundtrack to Your Escape - Guitar sound is shit and drum sound is worse. As DE4life said, live version of this album shows the true potential of these songs. Although I still think I wouldn't like it too much even with normal production. Great electronics though...

Come Clarity - Pretty good, but the guitar sound is just too tiresome for my ears. More bass less treble I guess or something to that effect. Anders faked singing very well on this one.

ASOP - Musically good, but the plastic sound of everything just sucks all life from these songs. Vocals would need to be re-recorded completely. Actually, I think this album would benefit the most from remaster and rerecording. Quite surprised some youtube IF fan didn't do it already.

SOAPF - Good sound, but a would like more punch to the guitars. Sometimes they sound a bit thin and dry. Guess this was a conscious decision and works fine for some songs but not for others (A New Dawn is a good example).

Siren Charms - I don't even know where to start with this one. Would benefit the most from not being recorded at all in the first place.

Battles - No amount of remastering and rerecording would help some of these songs.

ITM - Not great, not terrible.

Also, I find it funny how so many bands with unlimited experience, choice of facilities&equipment and funds aren't able to produce a decent-sounding album in this day and age.

Reactions: DE4life
Peter uploaded this, looks like the music is called Shadowminds, and it's coming out November 9th. Wonder if it's a single, EP or an album. Doesn't sound oldschool in the teaser, sounds similar to DT imo, and probably will be mixed harsh and cleans from Stanne. I'm interested regardless. I doubt it's a full album unless they've been very sneakily recording stuff.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CVscEcRjjW3/

Reactions: A88 and eochaid