New album Foregone out February 2023

I know IF hated working with Nordstrom, especially towards the end, but the rerecordings just underscore how vital he was to the band's sound back then.

I must remember how they hated being forced to go to the studio and work hard everyday as if they were in an office.

Seeing the ASOP documentary, with such a relaxed ambient, anyone might come to the conclusion that Nordstrom method works better for them.

Also, I've been listening, yesterday, to the whole clayman album. The sound... It's almost impossible to not shake your head and smile while listening to that masterpiece.

Reactions: DE4life
Peter uploaded this, looks like the music is called Shadowminds, and it's coming out November 9th. Wonder if it's a single, EP or an album. Doesn't sound oldschool in the teaser, sounds similar to DT imo, and probably will be mixed harsh and cleans from Stanne. I'm interested regardless. I doubt it's a full album unless they've been very sneakily recording stuff.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CVscEcRjjW3/
That first riff sounds fucking promising.

Lunar Strain - Half-amateurish sound. Would like to hear it with a better mix and some parts rerecorded.

Yep, Lunar/Sub remaster would be really interesting. You can already hear with Behind Space '99 and Clad in Shadows '99 how awesome these songs could sound with better production and parts rerecorded. I would love if The Halo Effect covered a Lunar Strain track - with Mikael and Jesper in the band the possibility is there - but I'm not expecting it as I think they'll be trying to distance themselves from IF for obvious reasons.

The Jester Race - Could be better I guess, but I think the weird guitar sound gives this one a lot of character and uniqueness.

There probably are some tweaks that could make TJR sound a bit better, but at the same time I don't listen to this album and think about how the production sucks. It works really well for the overall tone and atmopshere of the album. I'd leave it alone.

Whoracle - The guitar sound in this one is all over the place and a bit muddy. Also and more importantly, more competent drumming and better drum sound would do wonders for the overall impression.

I've always found it strange how Whoracle's production sounds so different to TJR, considering it's the same band, only a year or so later, with the same producer. Not like a whole lot had changed. Sometimes the more 'raw' effect works, but other times I'd prefer it to be a little more refined. It's interesting to listen to the Episode 666 demo, which better retains the TJR production values. I do think on some tracks (Episode 666 as an example, also Morphing Into Primal) Whoracle's production gives more power to the songs than TJR's production would have.

Colony - Sounds great, but the cymbal sound annoys me.

Listening to Colony and Clayman back-to-back you can hear how they tweaked the production to make the sound a little clearer. Colony production is still perfectly fine, but not quite as tight and precise as Clayman.

Clayman - Pretty much the best-sounding melodeath album ever... and then they fucked it up 20 years later.

Yup, not heard any album by any band that beats Clayman as far as production is concerned.

Reroute to Remain - Muddy sound and guitar melodies are buried in the mix. Works for the vocals though. Hides Anders inability to sing quite well.

I feel like at times the production nerfs the harsh vocals, making them sound more robotic than they should. It robs the vocals of their power at points, but considering how fucked up Anders' voice was at this point in time that might be for the best. Cleans definitely benefit from the production choice. As for the rest, it's well-known that they fucked up. Even the band admitted as much.

Soundtrack to Your Escape - Guitar sound is shit and drum sound is worse. As DE4life said, live version of this album shows the true potential of these songs. Although I still think I wouldn't like it too much even with normal production. Great electronics though...

Listening to STYE again recently definitely made me appreciate the electronics a lot more. Really well done. Better production would give the album for oomph for sure, but it's not like it's going to uncover any hidden melodies or solos. STYE is what it is.

Come Clarity - Pretty good, but the guitar sound is just too tiresome for my ears. More bass less treble I guess or something to that effect. Anders faked singing very well on this one.

The production of this one is very in-your-face, which generally works for the songs but is difficult to listen to from start to finish. Cleans and ProTools are integrated well into the album for the most part, but Anders' vocals on Come Clarity (the song) are really quite bad.

ASOP - Musically good, but the plastic sound of everything just sucks all life from these songs. Vocals would need to be re-recorded completely. Actually, I think this album would benefit the most from remaster and rerecording. Quite surprised some youtube IF fan didn't do it already.

As discussed, good ideas nuked by production choices and vocals. I actually think Anders could still do this one justice if he was motivated enough to rerecord it, but basically no chance of that happening. Schehf did some instrumental covers of ASOP songs and they sound far superior to the originals.

SOAPF - Good sound, but a would like more punch to the guitars. Sometimes they sound a bit thin and dry. Guess this was a conscious decision and works fine for some songs but not for others (A New Dawn is a good example).

Softer production here works well for the sound they were going for, but there are definitely some tracks which would have benefitted from a harder sound. Still, not an album I listen to and think 'production sucks'. It's fine. Also good integration of Anders & Autotune machine for this one.

Siren Charms - I don't even know where to start with this one. Would benefit the most from not being recorded at all in the first place.

Agree. Siren Charms is a half finished product in all respects, including production. This album needed a lot of reworking before being released.

Battles - No amount of remastering and rerecording would help some of these songs.

Guitar sound on this album is pathetic. Well, pretty much everything on this album is pathetic. Joke of a record.

ITM - Not great, not terrible.

Autotune integration in this one is often poor, especially in songs like Follow Me and parts of All The Pain. Guitars are an improvement, drumming & bass OK, vocals decent enough for the most part. Nowhere neaer their best but a step up from the previous two albums for sure.

Reactions: A88
Peter uploaded this, looks like the music is called Shadowminds, and it's coming out November 9th. Wonder if it's a single, EP or an album. Doesn't sound oldschool in the teaser, sounds similar to DT imo, and probably will be mixed harsh and cleans from Stanne. I'm interested regardless. I doubt it's a full album unless they've been very sneakily recording stuff.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CVscEcRjjW3/

Yeah the riffs are a more DT vibe for sure, but difficult to tell anything from such a short teaser. It looks like plenty of effort has gone into production of the teaser (music video imminent by the looks of it?) so I'd be surprised if it was a single with nothing else behind it. I'd say an EP is the most likely starting point, but it's not like these guys haven't had time to create something more. Jesper in particular has been very quiet on socials for months now, maybe because he was focusing on this?

You think so? That intro reminds me of The Quiet Place. A lot. Also, having only heard those first notes, my only conclusion is that the next part is going to be some heavy riffing.

Definitely sounds to me like something you'd hear from a DT album, but again it's such a short teaser that it's hard to put much stock into that tiny clip. Really cool visual of Mikael and Jesper together though :) and seeing Daniel on something for the first time since 2015. I only realised when he left IF how unique his drumming style is.

Yeah, the execution in this teaser sounds reminiscent of TQP, but the riff itself is like something of the new DT album. And heavy riffing is bound to happen as soon as Stanne bangs his head down. :)

To be honest, I'm expecting some mid to late 2000s sound from all this.

I've also noticed Ihsahn from Emperor has commented on both THE instagram clips so far.

Daniel is a better drummer than he was allowed to be due to production. His role in CC is fucking brilliant.

After seeing that intro, I expect some mix between the styles of both bands and modern melodeath.

Reactions: DE4life
Daniel is a better drummer than he was allowed to be due to production. His role in CC is fucking brilliant.

After seeing that intro, I expect some mix between the styles of both bands and modern melodeath.

Daniel is actually really good on SOAPF as well. I only really noticed when listening to it a few years ago, but he plays a huge part in how that album sounds.

Also, in my dreams, the next riffs you hear are from Upon an Oaken Throne, followed by Stanne "I SEE THE NIGHTSHADE GROW" .... hey, I can dream can't I? :heh:

Reactions: eochaid
Daniel is good on ASOP as well. Some solid stuff there. But again, there is just so much you can do with a bunch of short commercial songs. It's not like IF are writing songs with weird time signatures and 20-minute progressive metal masterpieces.

You really notice how the drumming has deteriorated after Daniel left IF, though. He was constrained but really made the most of what was available to him. I'm super excited to see him back.

Reactions: A88 and eochaid
Also, making music that's oriented to vocals doesn't help the drums to shine.

Daniel & Peter were always pushed to the back when they were in IF. Vocals & guitars came first, and drumming/bass was basically in the background. Daniel definitely had more chance to shine than Peter, though. I hope both of them get a little more leeway in this new project to show what they are capable of.

Also, making music that's oriented to vocals doesn't help the drums to shine.

As a general rule, when a metal band stops making songs for guitars to shine and starts making songs around the chorus (ahem, pop music), it is a bad sign.

Especially if a singer can't fucking sing.