New album Foregone out February 2023

Yeah, could've made a better first impression for sure, lol. But for all we know, he'd been reading our discussions for years and finally snapped. It's entirely possible that there are lurkers on this board who hate our guts for the way we've besmirched this band's name (except me).

Nah, I think he was just a typical leecher looking for a Foregone leak who decided to add his two pennies and then disappear once he had what he wanted. Joined Jan 18th and last seen Feb 3rd.

Outside of new album time when the IFWT crew are desperately hunting all corners of the internet, even this dusty old space, for leaks, I doubt there are many lurkers. A handful, maybe, but presumably that would be because they enjoy our posts rather than hate what we write, lol. Considering it's mainly just me, Eochaid, Grayfox and occasionally yourself, Xpyro, Mindd, Moonshield_ and Slave commenting, it wouldn't make much sense to stick around with a hate boner for the 10 or less posts per week that are generally generated outside of new album season. Obviously some weeks are an exception, but still.

Last edited:
Reactions: mindd and eochaid
Nah, I think he was just a typical leecher looking for a Foregone leak who decided to add his two pennies and then disappear once he had what he wanted. Joined Jan 18th and last seen Feb 3rd.
I like how, every time that someone comes making personal attacks, there's always people remaining silent but there's always someone willing to defend them as if they're acting in good faith.

This happened with this guy and this happened before with homophobic Laverna and her friend, slavewhatever when they decided that it would be fun to attack Slave while nobody was saying shit. Until I shot on the both of them and then, some of the pure souls that weren't offended by their continuous homophobia decided that my attack on them was unacceptable and out of limits.

Now, as I've said many times, I might be wrong in my opinions, and maybe I might upset people with my opinions. But, moving from opinions to start personal attacks should be a big no. Defending people who only come to make personal attacks should be a no. It doesn't matter if we agree with the person who's being attacked or not. If we don't do that, then we're just giving words to a wannabe bully.

From what I remember people were only offended about you saying anything to Laverna/Sister, presumably just because she was a girl... which is obviously sexist in its own way, but regardless. In fairness to good old Laverna she did admit to being in the wrong and told everyone to stop defending her.

As far as SunOfMyth is concerned, idk... it was an obvious tantrum with baffling logic from somebody who signed up and disappeared within the space of three weeks. People like what they like, I guess. Reminds me a bit of American politics where people just cherry-pick one minor element of a much longer, typically horrendous statement and pretend the rest of it doesn't exist.

Reactions: mindd and Xpyro125
Yeah, that's fair. I will say that I don't really remember the details of his tirades. If I came across as willfully ignoring some of what he said, that wasn't my intention. I'm going to go back and look, lol.

That being said, I did try to be courteous when I signed up to defend All For Me when I saw you posting about how you didn't like it. :p

Edit: It was my life's goal not to be featured in DE4Life's signature.

Reactions: Xpyro125
As far as SunOfMyth is concerned, idk... it was an obvious tantrum with baffling logic from somebody who signed up and disappeared within the space of three weeks. People like what they like, I guess. Reminds me a bit of American politics where people just cherry-pick one minor element of a much longer, typically horrendous statement and pretend the rest of it doesn't exist.
The problem is that we shouldn't care about people not liking what we like and viceversa. It's ok to have strong discussions but just don't take this personally. From the moment that someone else's opinions upset you, then I think that it's time what you're doing with your own life and why other people's opinions about something that really doesn't concern you is affecting you that much.

Yeah, that's fair. I will say that I don't really remember the details of his tirades. If I came across as willfully ignoring some of what he said, that wasn't my intention. I'm going to go back and look, lol.

That being said, I did try to be courteous when I signed up to defend All For Me when I saw you posting about how you didn't like it. :p

Edit: It was my life's goal not to be featured in DE4Life's signature.

If he'd posted in a different manner, with a somewhat calm and measured approach (like yourself) then I'd agree that he had some decent points. But then we wouldn't be having this conversation as he wouldn't have been dismissed in the first place. That's the thing, having a good point or even many good points doesn't help much when your overall message is wrapped in an immature, holier-than-thou attitude. That was (and often continues to be) Slave's problem as well. Can't just put a viewpoint across, has to state it as if it's a fact and belittle the idea of anybody disagreeing. It's done on purpose to get a reaction, and it's annoying. Examples below:

"Some of the users here are hellbent on diminishing anything the band could do" - who? Name names. Can't really think of anyone posting regularly here who fits into that category. All of us praised elements of ITM, so why would we suddenly lose all sense of perspective for Foregone?

"The new album so far sounds a lot like mid era in flames, it's pretty remarkable the ways in which people try to shut that down." - translation: my opinion is gospel and therefore any challenge to this is preposterous. To my ears there are two songs that really sound like mid-era In Flames - MYM and TGD - but apparently stating so is me trying to 'remarkably' shut any other opinion down.

"I need to hear it explained in terms of music theory" - why would you possibly need a handful of randos on here to explain our opinions to you in music theory, sir? Is it keeping you up at night or something? Such an odd phrasing and request in general.

"some people literally come here to listen to a song once and bless the forum with their opinions that don't really align with reality anymore." - SunOfMyth once again deciding what 'reality' is - basically whatever his opinion dictates.

"I sometimes think people envision mdm with metalcore influences as this vast genre they have figured out that no one else can quite like them and it's so off putting for conversation" - I can barely understand what this long sentence means, but even when I do sort of understand it, it's still nonsense.

"If you have hated the band this long, why keep talking about it constantly?" - Majority of people, on here at least, liked SOAPF and some of ITM at least, so who does he refer to here as 'hating the band this long' ? And who 'hates' the band anyway? This is just an attempt to falsely accuse others of something extreme to invalidate their opinions. Classic tactic for this kind of poster.

"Its just confusing to read over and over from some of the same people here at album releases, especially one like this in which the band actually sounds good and inspired again." - Once again because SunOfMyth has decided the band sounds good and inspired again, it must be so, and it's 'confusing' to understand anybody believing otherwise. Also if he had genuinely been in the ITM thread, where opinion was quite positive, then he'd realise this sentiment makes no sense. If it had come directly after SC/Battles, sure, but both those albums suck anyway, so?

"I'd love to hear a music theory based explanation" - I'd love to win the lottery. Sometimes life sucks.

Anyway, as per the above, you may understand why I disagree with the notion this fellow got 'a bad rep'. He steamed in, first post, with a judgemental and nonsensical diatribe which was oddly 'liked' by a few regulars, which is a bit confusing. I get we disagree on some things, but damn, tell us how you feel without telling us how you feel!

And sorry to spoil your life's goal bro, but I saw that quote and lol'd. My incisive criticism strikes again - as far back at 2011.

Anyway, as per the above, you may understand why I disagree with the notion this fellow got 'a bad rep'. He steamed in, first post, with a judgemental and nonsensical diatribe which was oddly 'liked' by a few regulars, which is a bit confusing
No. Not confusing. I get why some regulars would applause his attitude since some of them seemed to share his "feelings" and were just waiting for someone to be as harsh as he was.

His words were a way to validate their point of view.

There has been people here willing to get rid of the criticism, be it fair or unfair criticism.

Luckily for them, the last release has made some of us to loose interest in the band at it's present form.

I'm still willing to talk about the "old times" since, till soapf, it's still my favourite band and the time period, just talking about music in general, that I appreciate and love the most. But I've lost all interest in discuss or even listen to their current releases.

And that is a good thing for those who have supported that pov that anyone not liking whatever they're doing now should stop caring about the band at all. Something that has been read here several times. Maybe, I don't know their love for the latest albums is diminished by our criticism. I mean, it seems to he affecting them that much that they cannot seem to be able to fully enjoy the songs until everyone agrees that they're the best efforts ever. Like, if you like something, what cares what everyone else says? As if there has not been criticism on the band since the time that whoracle was released. And, when r2r came out, there was real shit on the band. But that didn't affect us, the ones who accepted the changes, in any way, or decided to start a war of sides.

You against us is something that has happened here a lot. And that shows just how little respect those persons have for other people.

Last edited:
The reason I don’t follow IF on socials or even on Reddit (regularly) is because the vast majority of people on those platforms do carry the opinion that if you’re not a fanboy, if you don’t LOVE every single thing IF puts out, you’re not a “real fan” and that’s the same as hating the band. That way of thinking is so weird and downright pathetic that I can’t hang in those situations for very long. It’s not much different than any other band’s hardcore fan base, which is demoralizing honestly, but something about the IF base bothers me more. It probably has to do with the fact that I was listening to IF before some of these assholes were born and they feel it’s their right to tell me and others what we should and shouldn’t listen to or that we’re not real fans because we don’t let IF force feed us garbage and say “yum! Tastes like ice cream!”

I understand being a fan, but you can do that while also respecting others’ opinions. You don’t have to share their opinion, you can think it’s ‘wrong’, but being a die hard fan who accepts everything IF does as gold doesn’t give you the authority to dictate who can listen to a band. And what eras at that. It doesn’t make you special. You’re not up on a pedestal. But unfortunately that’s how they act. I haven’t done it in a while, but I imagine if I were to go look at IF Facebook or Instagram posts, I’m going to see a whole lot of that shit. You comment one time with “this song isn’t really my thing” and you’re met with 25 people asking you “why are you even here?!”

The band themselves — or at least Anders I should say, they don’t want conversation. They want nothing but praise. This all goes back to the Jesterhead days. If you weren’t praising everything they did, your opinion wasn’t welcome.

Gents, if they ever shut down Ultimate Metal, the only place where you can actually discuss IF openly and honestly will go with it. We should probably have a back up plan. :D

I still remember that time that the band retweeted a guy saying that, anyone who did not like everything's gone was not a real fan. That's the moment when I lost respect for the band.

And yes, people don't seem to understand that other people can still love a band for what they were, not for what they currently are, the same way that they can like a band for what they are and not for what they were.

I still remember that time that the band retweeted a guy saying that, anyone who did not like everything's gone was not a real fan. That's the moment when I lost respect for the band.

And yes, people don't seem to understand that other people can still love a band for what they were, not for what they currently are, the same way that they can like a band for what they are and not for what they were.

Yeah, I've just never bought into the fanboy thing. It's ok to pick and choose. I really don't like much post-2000 Metallica at all. I still have their M logo tattooed on me. They were a big inspiration to me growing up. They're a huge part of why I love metal as much as I do. But if I don't enjoy much of the last 25 years of their work, should I just go get dermabrasion? I have a Jesterhead on the back of my neck too. Maybe I should get that removed as well. It's a really stupid argument. Especially when you consider what you're talking about here. How many of the people who LOVE ITM or Foregone or anything new will come in and say they love Lunar Strain too? Very, very few and most of them would probably be liars. Even a guy like Schehf, if anybody remembers him, who was like the biggest fanboy I've ever seen said he wouldn't record TJR covers because he didn't like the album. I guess it only counts when you don't like the new stuff? 🤷‍♂️

Yeah, I've just never bought into the fanboy thing. It's ok to pick and choose. I really don't like much post-2000 Metallica at all. I still have their M logo tattooed on me. They were a big inspiration to me growing up. They're a huge part of why I love metal as much as I do. But if I don't enjoy much of the last 25 years of their work, should I just go get dermabrasion? I have a Jesterhead on the back of my neck too. Maybe I should get that removed as well. It's a really stupid argument. Especially when you consider what you're talking about here. How many of the people who LOVE ITM or Foregone or anything new will come in and say they love Lunar Strain too? Very, very few and most of them would probably be liars. Even a guy like Schehf, if anybody remembers him, who was like the biggest fanboy I've ever seen said he wouldn't record TJR covers because he didn't like the album. I guess it only counts when you don't like the new stuff? 🤷‍♂️

It's funny because when I first joined here (and same for you) it would have been the other way around. If you liked the new stuff then fuck you, you aren't a real fan, you suck, you're a poser, etc. Now it's the total opposite. Unless you like every new album you're closed minded, trying to shut down discussion, stuck in the past, 'hate' the band, and so on...

I guess the fact is the majority of the older fans gave up on the band ages ago. So you're only going to get leechers on their high horses signing up to spew the IFWT cult mantra for a few posts before dipping, because they probably have the debating and concentration powers of a fruit fly. Somewhere like here is a bit too much for them - much easier to go shout outrage into the abyss that is X or FB.

I know a few people who gave up a long time ago. I remember being a younger man and I was at a show in San Francisco. It was Opeth/Nevermore. They had an outdoor area and in between bands I found myself out there. I struck up a conversation about In Flames with a guy out there and even back then -- and this was probably '01 -- this guy gave up on In Flames because of CLAYMAN. Not only that, but he said Colony was "iffy" as well. I was kind of flabbergasted to be honest. It's very rare that you'll meet an IF fan who doesn't like Clayman and thinks Colony is borderline "bad." And it wasn't that he didn't like the band. He was a big fan of Lunar Strain, TJR and Whoracle. This dude gave up early.

There are not many of us "old fans" left. There is a huge shift in their music and the audience they were making it for. The traditional "metalhead" lost interest ages ago.

I know a few people who gave up a long time ago. I remember being a younger man and I was at a show in San Francisco. It was Opeth/Nevermore. They had an outdoor area and in between bands I found myself out there. I struck up a conversation about In Flames with a guy out there and even back then -- and this was probably '01 -- this guy gave up on In Flames because of CLAYMAN. Not only that, but he said Colony was "iffy" as well. I was kind of flabbergasted to be honest. It's very rare that you'll meet an IF fan who doesn't like Clayman and thinks Colony is borderline "bad." And it wasn't that he didn't like the band. He was a big fan of Lunar Strain, TJR and Whoracle. This dude gave up early.

There are not many of us "old fans" left. There is a huge shift in their music and the audience they were making it for. The traditional "metalhead" lost interest ages ago.

Yeah, I can remember using the wayback machine to go back to their website in 2000 and check out the guestbook. It's a trip, but even there you see some people shitting on Clayman.

'I CONSIDERED YOU GODS UNTIL I GOT 'CLAYMAN'.IT'S NOT EVEN HALF AS GOOD AS 'JESTER...'- IT'S THE ONLY THING I CAN SAY ABOUT IT.'
'IN FLAMES SUCKS ASS NOW! I'M ASHAMED TO BE A FAN NOW! CLAYMAN AND COLONY ARE HORSE SHIT COMPARED TO LUNARSTRAIN & JESTER RACE. WHEN LISTENING TO JESTER RACE ALL MY FRIENDS SAY'

'am siging in to tell people to fuck off. how come clayman gets to be the best in flames album in the polls section. you people are stupid? infact i don't want to put the band down, but clayman is a very normal ablum i give it 5-6/10 so please listen to the other albums before coming over and voting. did i mention that i hate teenagers?'

'You guys are like metallica SELLOUTS!!! Clayman sucks compared to your previous albums!!! Where's the instrumental, amazing lyrics and ultra technical guitar riffs?! Everything about that stupid album makes me puke. You guys fuckin blow!!! I'm ashamed to be considered a fan!!! I hope you realize how simple and lame you've become and start recording good music like before! Morons!'

'What the fuck happened to you guys?! First with lunar strain and jester race you totally blow me away with the amazing folk influenced acoustic riffs blended with the harmonized distortion. then whoracle comes, one of the most incredible albums ever! Three guitar harmonies, acoustic electric combinations, profound lyrics... i was in love!!! then Colony comes out. whatever. THen your pitiful excuse for an album called Clayman'

'Clayman is hard but not enough. The jester Race is your best I think. Careful and don't be soft. '

'Clayman is good but Jester Race is better with tracks like Dead Eternity and Lord Hypnos.'

'Sorry,but Clayman sounds too much commercial and it cannot be compared with the high originality of the older stuff. The only song that sounds really great is - Sattelites and astronauts.'

'Sorry.... but I consider "Clayman" one of the most ridicolous albums I ever Listened... I saw u live in Rome, on 19 September... And the concert was boring... sorry.. You Were One of my fab groups... but now...'

I'm a big fan of this new avatar, but this bright orange bullshit might have to go. What an eyesore.

Maybe you can use some AI tool to change the colour?

Sadly the guestbook seemed to be removed around the time of Reroute's release... I wonder why :rofl:

The website in the very early 2000s does briefly link to this very forum for a while though, as this was the official discussion forum for the band, before they shut it all down due to people being so angry with Reroute, lmao.

lol some of those comments are fucking gold. This one actually made me laugh out loud. And I'm still chuckling about it.

I hope you realize how simple and lame you've become and start recording good music like before! Morons!'

Maybe you can use some AI tool to change the colour?

Probably, yeah. I'm messing around with it.

lol some of those comments are fucking gold. This one actually made me laugh out loud. And I'm still chuckling about it.

I hope you realize how simple and lame you've become and start recording good music like before! Morons!'

Time is a flat circle :tickled:

It certainly seems that way. I wish I had screenshots of their official Ultimate Metal forum after RTR released. There was some brutal hazing going on in there. Looking at things like their guestbook, they must've hated their fanbase for a long time there. As funny as all of this is now, I can't imagine putting out an album and then reading comments from people calling me a moron and telling me that my album is "pitiful" and "stupid." :tickled: