New album Foregone out February 2023

Honestly, Speed's a vocalist who I'm really hit or miss about, though I do think he's pretty good objectively. Love his cleans, love his pre-Predator Portrait screams, but his modern harsh vocals are a bit of a give and take, and I prefer his contributions to Disarmonia Mundi. I think they just work better there.

Stanne's fucking incredible, and I never see anyone argue that- For good reason, of course.

As much as I love Anders' vocals (For the most part), yeah, they're objectively far worse than his peers.

I can understand that regarding Speed - his harsh vocals are consistent but I wouldn't say they necessarily stand out. They verge somewhat close to the typical metalcore sound, which Soilwork did embrace for a while after FNF. Very good clean vocalist though, certainly the best of the well-known Swedish bands of the era.

As for Stanne... you haven't met our good friend Slave yet :D the lad is not a fan, to say the least. Even our own Spanish God @eochaid has no love for Stanne's DT vocals - although is a fan of him in THE. I found Stanne's vocals to get progressively worse after Fiction - growling-wise - and his cleans only have a certain appeal, I think. Have to say though he sounds revitalised in THE, the best he's sounded to my ears in many, many years.

Anders' vocals fit In Flames, for the most part, so I can overlook their quality objectively. With that said when you listen to the likes of Metaphor, Evil in a Closet and Come Clarity instrumentally... you can't help but think those songs deserved better singers. They're beautiful pieces of music, but the vocals are... an acquired taste at best.

I might be a little late to the party but holy shit @DE4life ! Those instrumental songs are awesome! Eyes Wide Open vocals only was awesome too actually, I really like Anders' performance on that one might be a shock to you but I really liked this version too. :D I might have couple tracks have mind, I always wanted to listen them instrumentally. If u have time, it would be awesome to listen them.

SOAPF - Because it has an awesome melody on the chorus I just want to listen clearly.
Dead End - Again awesome melody on the chorus, catchy af
Condemned - This song awesome melodies through the song as well
Through Oblivion - There's a lead guitar on the second or third chorus. I heard that it was meant to be a solo or smth but we cant hear it clear. As far as I know, one of the best IF leads all time.

I'll give them a go. The only SOAPF song I tried was Fear is the Weakness and it sounded like shit, unfortunately, but maybe SOAPF will fare better. CC and ASOP songs seem to come out OK, and I think Through Oblivion should be fine as well.

Reactions: ciko_gfb
Stanne's fucking incredible, and I never see anyone argue that- For good reason, of course.

Well well well, now you have your nemesis, pal.

I strongly disagree with that. I'm not that into DT because of the vocals. If you listen their latest album and 3 album before that you could've see that they are the same. Maybe its just for me but I find that really boring. I like some of their songs but I listen DT once a year maybe.

I love In Flames because of the melodies of course but Anders is one of the strongest reasons too. I know this place hates him or mocks him whatever but IF is IF because of Anders. I'm pretty sure when Colony released @eochaid was mad AF because he thought Anders ruined the band. :D

Reactions: DE4life

:D the dark knight has risen.

I love In Flames because of the melodies of course but Anders is one of the strongest reasons too. I know this place hates him or mocks him whatever but IF is IF because of Anders. I'm pretty sure when Colony released @eochaid was mad AF because he thought Anders ruined the band. :D

In fairness I don't think any of us hate Anders... but you've got to admit he makes himself an easy target sometimes :D

Reactions: ciko_gfb
Come on... Strip Colony, Whoracle or Clayman from the music and say with a serious face that's still IF. That's the funniest thing I've read this year.

iF is IF because of Anders my ass.

Just to note, having listened to the LYBD vocal stem, Anders actually says "Like you better bed" :D

Reactions: eochaid

I strongly disagree with that. I'm not that into DT because of the vocals. If you listen their latest album and 3 album before that you could've see that they are the same. Maybe its just for me but I find that really boring. I like some of their songs but I listen DT once a year maybe.

I have to agree, aside from Atoma. I found that one to be much more interesting and energized than the other recent DT albums. Stanne's harsh vocals can get kinda stale after a while, and you can only do a harsh verse/clean chorus structure so many times before it gets monotonous- And that's not even factoring in just how same-y the recent albums have been, so I can understand, but for me that's usually moreso because of the music than the vocals.

I love Anders' vocals (For the most part) as well, I don't think he's quite as horrible or band-ruining as most say. Not saying he's even close to the heights of his peers objectively, but subjectively, his vocals are absolutely my thing. But I don't necessarily think that In Flames is In Flames because of one member or another, nor do I think that they aren't In Flames without one or another. Each member, particularly in the classic lineup, is a piece of the band, a piece of the collective history, and they all together contributed to making the classic In Flames sound and the new. I think the best parts of In Flames come from that collective, as well as many of its greatest flaws, and I don't think their discography would be what it is if you took any one piece out of the equation. I dunno, that's just my take, maybe I'm just being too serious here.

Just to note, having listened to the LYBD vocal stem, Anders actually says "Like you better bed" :D

I take back everything I previously said.

Reactions: DE4life
I have to agree, aside from Atoma. I found that one to be much more interesting and energized than the other recent DT albums. Stanne's harsh vocals can get kinda stale after a while, and you can only do a harsh verse/clean chorus structure so many times before it gets monotonous- And that's not even factoring in just how same-y the recent albums have been, so I can understand, but for me that's usually moreso because of the music than the vocals.

I love Anders' vocals (For the most part) as well, I don't think he's quite as horrible or band-ruining as most say. Not saying he's even close to the heights of his peers objectively, but subjectively, his vocals are absolutely my thing. But I don't necessarily think that In Flames is In Flames because of one member or another, nor do I think that they aren't In Flames without one or another. Each member, particularly in the classic lineup, is a piece of the band, a piece of the collective history, and they all together contributed to making the classic In Flames sound and the new. I think the best parts of In Flames come from that collective, as well as many of its greatest flaws, and I don't think their discography would be what it is if you took any one piece out of the equation. I dunno, that's just my take, maybe I'm just being too serious here.

TJR/Whoracle era IF is all Jesper imo, take him out of the equation and those albums simply don't exist.

Colony - ASOP I'd agree though it's a whole effort. Every part of the band was unique in its own way and played a part in making them who they were - both on album and on stage.

Very different band post-ASOP, but during the golden years the band made themselves greater than the sum of their parts.

@ciko_gfb first runs of pretty much all those songs came out sounding kinda rubbish, so I changed some settings and gave my laptop a good workout :D here's Through Oblivion:

Trying to rerun SOAPF now to see if I can get better results, but rather than taking 5-6 minutes the new settings take 30+ mins, so I'll upload that one when I'm done and try Dead End / Condemned tomorrow.

Wait one second... Ciko you fucker, there's already a Siren Charms entire album instrumental out there :D

I do think that Anders was still rather important in TJR and Whoracle for the lyrics, but that sounds about right otherwise. If you took Johan Larsson out, I don't think Whoracle would change much at all.

And holy shit, that's fucking hilarious.

I do think that Anders was still rather important in TJR and Whoracle for the lyrics, but that sounds about right otherwise. If you took Johan Larsson out, I don't think Whoracle would change much at all.

And holy shit, that's fucking hilarious.

Niklas Sundin actually wrote the lyrics for those albums I believe, Anders just gave him the general idea he wanted to convey. I think there was one song (Episode 666?) where Sundin translated Anders' Swedish lyrics, maybe, but the rest was all Sundin.

I probably shouldn't minimise Glenn Ljungstrom's role either actually, but I still think Jesper was the driving force behind those albums.

I thought Anders wrote them and Sundin translated them. I mean, I could always be wrong, I'm genuinely not sure now.

I think Sundin helped Anders translate his lyrics on Colony, but TJR/Whoracle was pretty much all Sundin. You can tell by the usage of ridiculous words that no normal human being would use :D

Wait one second... Ciko you fucker, there's already a Siren Charms entire album instrumental out there :D

What the hell, how did I even miss this?! I was just about to comment your work which is pretty close to the original instrumental, awesome work.

I dont care if @eochaid thinks Björn is "lazy" but Through Oblivion is truly massive. When the second chorus hits the guitars and electronics are taking the song to another level. Amazing work by IF once again.

And I like this instrumental thing so much I might have to download your work so I can listen when I work, thank you so much again mate @DE4life

Gonna have to call bullshit on In Flames being In Flames because of Anders. Unless we're talking about how they're not even a shell of their former selves at current time. In which case, I agree completely, it is indeed his fault. But if we're talking about big picture? And if we're going to put it on one person? It's Jesper. The band wouldn't even exist without him. Those golden years surely would not be what they are without him. Lunar Strain-Whoracle, it isn't the vocals that make those records special. With Colony, yes Anders started adding his own flavor into the mix but even then I would say it's the guitar work, the melodies that keep the records strong up until Clayman. Of course it's subjective and that's just my opinion, but I don't give Anders much credit for anything... except the negative stuff :D