New album Foregone out February 2023

What the hell, how did I even miss this?! I was just about to comment your work which is pretty close to the original instrumental, awesome work.

I dont care if @eochaid thinks Björn is "lazy" but Through Oblivion is truly massive. When the second chorus hits the guitars and electronics are taking the song to another level. Amazing work by IF once again.

And I like this instrumental thing so much I might have to download your work so I can listen when I work, thank you so much again mate @DE4life

I think this was posted on previous album threads many years ago, but I didn't know it existed until a few years ago either. I've said before I actually quite like SC instrumental. It's pretty nice background music to have on.

But yes my friend, make sure to download Behind Space with Mikael's vocals and enjoy :cool:

I say "IF is IF because of Anders" cause if you look at the other Gothenburg bands, they're still trying to do the same thing they did like 20 years ago and a) it's not as good as it was like old records b) they don't even try to do different things and it became boring. Listen the 2 latest record by At The Gates. Their comeback was good but after that record it got boring. Its the same thing over and over again and yeah we get it but its not even good.

So I praise Anders cause IF could be another ATG. They would release the Jester Race part 15 this year and sure Jesper would run the band but I'm pretty sure I wouldnt be here with the same reason I'm not on the ATG or DT forums. And I'm pretty sure that you guys here not because of an album released 20-30 years ago. Anders is the main difference between Gothenburg bands and might be the biggest plus of IF

Reactions: galvanized
Well
I say "IF is IF because of Anders" cause if you look at the other Gothenburg bands, they're still trying to do the same thing they did like 20 years ago and a) it's not as good as it was like old records b) they don't even try to do different things and it became boring. Listen the 2 latest record by At The Gates. Their comeback was good but after that record it got boring. Its the same thing over and over again and yeah we get it but its not even good.

So I praise Anders cause IF could be another ATG. They would release the Jester Race part 15 this year and sure Jesper would run the band but I'm pretty sure I wouldnt be here with the same reason I'm not on the ATG or DT forums. And I'm pretty sure that you guys here not because of an album released 20-30 years ago. Anders is the main difference between Gothenburg bands and might be the biggest plus of IF
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::puke:

And then, for 15 years the guitarists were the ones who were deciding the musical direction of the band, to the point where Anders only knew how it was the music when he received it to start working on his vocals. But he's the driving force. That was a good laugh though.

In that respect, I understand what you're saying. If you enjoy their progression, I can see why you would think Anders if the biggest plus. But if you don't... well that's a different story :tickled:

Reactions: ciko_gfb

Well, shit. Guess I missed that.

I sort of just half agree with that. I think with or without Anders, In Flames would've become a radically different band over time with Bjorn and Jesper at the helm- After all, Reroute to ASoP (At the very least, Reroute and STYE) were primarily Bjorn's and Jesper's visions. I think Anders did have a somewhat big part in them, but I don't think the overall sound would change. I'd agree that both DT and AtG have become rather stagnant though, and it's nice to know that In Flames didn't follow suit. I don't think we would've had Siren Charms and beyond, which I'm sure for many fans would be ideal, but there's still that middle catalogue which is full of radical changes. I'm not going to attack Anders whatsoever though- I quite like him as a vocalist, and I don't think In Flames would be the same without him, for better or for worse, and I also think that the band's core members make In Flames who they are as a band, for better or for worse.

Happy to see another Anders defender though! Ain't too many around in the circles I've been in. Or any, aside from me, if we're being honest.

Reactions: ciko_gfb
ATG are definitely stagnant. If I'm being honest - and at the risk of being blasphemous - I kind of wish they hadn't come back, as I find Lindberg's vocals impossible to listen to these days. I didn't even think their comeback album was that good, and since then it's just been a rehashing of ATG greatest hits with shittier vocals.

DT - great until they released WATV, which was just awful. Construct better but still not anything I'm interested in. Atoma solid enough but I stopped listening to it pretty quickly. Same with Moment. Modern DT just isn't very interesting in all honestly. They're good at what they do, but nothing they do really sticks with me long-term like the 1993-2007 era.

Reactions: shad0w__
I quite liked Tomas' vocals on To Drink From the Night Itself, but I didn't care for them much at all on the lead single to their new album. Haven't even brought myself to listen to anything else from it. The music isn't too terribly interesting or melodic, but there were some things that brought me in here and there before. Just didn't see any reason to.

I think I've listened to three or four songs from We Are the Void, but the only one that I actually remember is Iridium. Absolutely fucking love that song, it's incredible (And to be fair, it was a Fiction B-Side, so I'm not even surprised). I also loved "The Fatalist", that one was pretty good, but I couldn't tell you a goddamn thing about any other song from the album. I've only listened to "The Silence In Between", "Uniformity", and "Immemorial", and I really liked all three of them, but I haven't listened to the rest of the album because they just give me the strange feeling that I've listened to all of the highlights.

Moment's good, but it's all the same shit we've heard before.

Iridium is definitely one of the highlights from WATV. Her Silent Language is OK as well. Overall easily my least favourite DT album though.

Damage Done
Skydancer / Of Chaos and Eternal Night
The Gallery
Character
Fiction
The Mind's I
Atoma
Moment
Projector
Haven
Construct
We Are the Void

Something like that.

Iridium is definitely one of the highlights from WATV. Her Silent Language is OK as well. Overall easily my least favourite DT album though.

Well, that's only a little bit more terrifying than a little bit to know. I really don't want to dislike the album.

I was very excited for the At The Gates reunion. When At War with Reality came out, my brother in law and I were having a discussion about it and we both just kind of said "Yep... yep that's definitely At The Gates." Like it wasn't bad or good, it just was. I don't feel one way or another about their newer stuff.

DT, I really liked Atoma, but besides that, I haven't really loved a DT release since Fiction. I couldn't get into Moment. Maybe I need to go see them live again. I was kind of lukewarm on Atoma too until I went and saw them on that run and got to hear some of that album live. Now I really enjoy that record.

TJR/Whoracle era IF is all Jesper imo, take him out of the equation and those albums simply don't exist.
Everyone says that. But as someone following this band for like 21 years, I’m still not sure. Every album Jesper has been a part of separate from the rest of IF has been a disappointment. At this point I’m seriously wondering if there was a secret/commissioned composer that wrote large parts of TJR/Whoracle for Jesper. Maybe Nordstrom himself. Maybe that’s why they won’t work with him anymore because he did more than tell them what to do. Maybe Nordstrom literally wrote the shit for them.

Reactions: Jaymzkrueger
Nah, Jesper was just more inspired / less alcohol damaged back then. He seemed to have a good creative partnership with Glenn as well, with Bjorn chipping in also. Just the right setup at the right time for Jesper to express himself to his full potential I think.

I don't know, I really enjoyed the Dimension Zero stuff. Or does that not count because of Glenn? :D

Although that is a good point about Nordstrom. I never thought about that.

But also, it could have something to do with Jesper not wanting to pigeon-hole himself. It seems like he wanted to step outside of the box and do something different in all those other bands and maybe it just didn't work. Maybe he really is suited to make MDM.