New album Foregone out February 2023

Just the themes or also the music? Because, from the outisde, for me, the most of them sound pretty similar. Or, more than similar... Like... I've heard that before.

He did the same to House. So I wouldn't take it seriously.

He's been like that since the last time that he threw shit at Anders.

It's ok trying to be in good terms again. But they don't care.

Last edited:
Picking Stand Ablaze, which neither Anders nor Bjorn have any historical link to beyond playing it on a few live shows in the late 90s, just screams desperation. 'Look how old school we are'. It just feels calculated and fake to me.
At least it's a good song, chosen by desperation or not. That song deserved to be in their B-tier concert songs and not in the dumpster where they put it, although I do understand that not having much to do with that song made them like it less.

Reactions: mindd
At least it's a good song, chosen by desperation or not. That song deserved to be in their B-tier concert songs and not in the dumpster where they put it, although I do understand that not having much to do with that song made them like it less.
Same with Episode 666. Been in the dumpster for over 10 years now

Just the themes or also the music? Because, from the outisde, for me, the most of them sound pretty similar. Or, more than similar... Like... I've heard that before.

Both. There will always be Helloween clones in the same way there are Metallica, Slayer, Kreator, Megadeth clones, but the simple fact is there isn't much success to be found in copying traditional PM from the 90s/early 00s. It has a low ceiling and is extremely niche nowadays. The most successful bands in the genre have a completely different spin on PM - usually infusing something else alongside it, whether that be Iron Maiden-esque heavy metal, gothic metal, MDM, 80s hair metal or straight up pop elements. What PM band do you know from the past that sounds like Beast in Black or Powerwolf, for example? Those are two of the biggest modern PM bands and sound nothing like what came before them.

They've got about a hundred songs that don't deserve to be in the dumpster, most of which hipster and Bjorn actually had some participation in. It makes zero sense to choose one that neither of them had even the smallest hand in, other than, as I said, to say 'hey, look at us, we're old school too, remember?' - it's embarrassing. It's nice for them to play it (even if Bjorn totally screwed up the beginning) but without Jesper there it's basically a cover, as it would be for most songs from Lunar/Sub. The only exceptions are Behind Space and Clad in Shadows, as they actually rerecorded those for Colony which What's a Halo Effect? and Bjorn were a part of.

Reactions: eochaid
Both. There will always be Helloween clones in the same way there are Metallica, Slayer, Kreator, Megadeth clones, but the simple fact is there isn't much success to be found in copying traditional PM from the 90s/early 00s. It has a low ceiling and is extremely niche nowadays. The most successful bands in the genre have a completely different spin on PM - usually infusing something else alongside it, whether that be Iron Maiden-esque heavy metal, gothic metal, MDM, 80s hair metal or straight up pop elements. What PM band do you know from the past that sounds like Beast in Black or Powerwolf, for example? Those are two of the biggest modern PM bands and sound nothing like what came before them.

They've got about a hundred songs that don't deserve to be in the dumpster, most of which hipster and Bjorn actually had some participation in. It makes zero sense to choose one that neither of them had even the smallest hand in, other than, as I said, to say 'hey, look at us, we're old school too, remember?' - it's embarrassing. It's nice for them to play it (even if Bjorn totally screwed up the beginning) but without Jesper there it's basically a cover, as it would be for most songs from Lunar/Sub. The only exceptions are Behind Space and Clad in Shadows, as they actually rerecorded those for Colony which What's a Halo Effect? and Bjorn were a part of.

Serious question. Why is Powerwolf PM and Nightwish Symphonic Metal? I've just heard a song called Dancing with the Death and my first thought was about Nightwish. Then, have in mind that I've never heard anything of them before.

Now listening to BIB and I have the same feeling. Like they're kinda Power Metal but more Symphonic Metal with Modern Metal.

Anyway, nothing of what those bands do seem new or groundbreaking.

Serious question. Why is Powerwolf PM and Nightwish Symphonic Metal? I've just heard a song called Dancing with the Death and my first thought was about Nightwish. Then, have in mind that I've never heard anything of them before.

Now listening to BIB and I have the same feeling. Like they're kinda Power Metal but more Symphonic Metal with Modern Metal.

Anyway, nothing of what those bands do seem new or groundbreaking.

I find genre definition discussions really boring honestly, so I'd rather not go into it :D I don't really care what they're labelled as, but they are generally considered Power Metal by most fans for however such criteria is applied.

Groundbreaking, no, but both are fun to listen to if you enjoy catchy, melodic music with good singing.

You can find comfort in knowing you'll always have Anders and his "unique" voice :heh:

One day your Anders bashing will go too far, Ciko will snap and come to kidnap you. Then you'll spend the rest of your days tied to a chair listening to 'Here Until Forever' on repeat... a fate worse than death :eek:

I don't get your logic: BS and CiS are "playable" by them because the core of the band made a rerecording (may as well calthem a cover) of them, but not Stand Ablaze?! Okay, I get that part, but wouldn't live only "rerecordings" count the same?! At this point it's just splitting hairs about technicalities.

I think the entirety of that ep is pretty amazing and a bridge between LS and TJR. I think it's been long overdue for it to get some love and recognition.

Yeah, it's sad that the crowd was confused by the intro, but it is what it is; it's not like these people come to these shows for behind space or moobshield either.

Cjko must still be crying in his room after knowing that they're following me on twitter :rofl::rofl::rofl:.

But that would be a chance for a real talk with Anders. "Ok. I understand the intention behind the lyrics. No go and change them and talk about him and stop making it about yourself".

Reactions: DE4life
I don't get your logic: BS and CiS are "playable" by them because the core of the band made a rerecording (may as well calthem a cover) of them, but not Stand Ablaze?! Okay, I get that part, but wouldn't live only "rerecordings" count the same?! At this point it's just splitting hairs about technicalities.

I think the entirety of that ep is pretty amazing and a bridge between LS and TJR. I think it's been long overdue for it to get some love and recognition.

Yeah, it's sad that the crowd was confused by the intro, but it is what it is; it's not like these people come to these shows for behind space or moobshield either.

What he meant is that they have zero relationship with the song apart from being in the same band that recorded it. None of them was there. And people tends to play songs that they feel related to.

As for why does people go to the shows... They go for the laughs.

What he meant is that they have zero relationship with the song apart from being in the same band that recorded it. None of them was there. And people tends to play songs that they feel related to.

I didn't think it was that difficult to grasp, but yes, exactly. At least with Behind Space and CiS they rerecorded those songs, and nobody can say the '99 versions are simple covers of the originals. They're upgrades in every way.

Stand Ablaze has nothing to do with the current version of the band. Literally zero. Not a single member was around when this song was created and released. It's no different to them covering Fucking Hostile, other than Stand Ablaze technically coming under the "In Flames" name - but it was for all intents and purposes a totally different band who recorded the original.

Cool it was played? Yeah, sure, but in the same way it'd be cool if they played Punish My Heaven or Blinded By Fear (oh wait...)

Reactions: eochaid
And before Slave retorts with 'only Jesper was around from the Subterranean sessions in 1999 and you don't have a problem with them playing it then' - yes, but firstly in 1999 they didn't have a huge back catalogue to choose songs from, and secondly Jesper wrote the song, so that obviously matters when it's played live.