New album Foregone out February 2023

Of course it doesn't mean better. Just different and, in my opinion, more IF. But more IF because of the tone of the songs. The new ones feel unnecessarily aggressive.

The pandemic came at the right time for Anders. The world saw a lot so he has, sorry for repeating myself, a lot to talk about.

Hopefully In Flames slows down on releasing singles. Three singles in three months from an album that comes out next year is a bit much.
My bet is that this comes from the company (of course it does, what the fuck am I even writing?) as an experiment to check new ways to sell music.

What a lot of people here seem to be forgetting is that, once that the songs have been released, they can go and buy them for the price of 1,5€. That's a way to support the band's too.

But my bet is that the company is searching for new ways to sell the music.

Don't forget at the moment the lead time on producing vinyls is about 6-9 months, so they may have delayed release to allow it to be available on all platforms at once. I've seen a lot of releases recently where the vinyls haven't been available until months after release.

I do agree though, it is very annoying waiting until February.

It's kind of funny that the pandemic actually seems to have forced Anders to grow up somewhat, lyrically. From the mostly juvenile lyrics of the past few albums to stuff that's more in-line with the outward-looking lyrics of the early days. About fucking time.

And yes, I generally find the songs from ITM more interesting than what I've heard so far from Foregone. Although that's not to say those songs are necessarily better, if that makes sense... they just gave me more to talk about when listening to them. I don't feel like I have much to say about the first three singles here. "Yes, decent, solid heavy MDM... um..."

Yeah, pretty much.

My bet is that this comes from the company (of course it does, what the fuck am I even writing?) as an experiment to check new ways to sell music.

What a lot of people here seem to be forgetting is that, once that the songs have been released, they can go and buy them for the price of 1,5€. That's a way to support the band's too.

But my bet is that the company is searching for new ways to sell the music.

Considering that they're both signed to Nuclear Blast, the similarities can be traced back to the people in charge. I think you're absolutely right there.

Reactions: eochaid
Track lengths. Maybe this helps the speculations about the new songs.

1. The Beginning of All Things that Will End `2:13`
2. State of Slow Decay `3:58`
3. Meet Your Maker `3:57`
4. Bleeding Out `4:01`
5. Foregone Pt. 1 `3:24`
6. Foregone Pt. 2 `4:30`
7. Pure Light of Mind `4:26`
8. The Great Deceiver `3:45`
9. In the Dark `4:17`
10. A Dialogue in B Flat Minor `4:28`
11. Cynosure `4:05`
12. End the Transmission `3:42`

Last edited:

1. The Beginning of All Things `2:13`

Interesting. The acoustic intro they've been using is almost definitely track 1 then. Seems weird to go straight into SOSD after that though.

1. The Beginning of All Things that Will End `2:13`

Interesting that Foregone II is longer than Foregone I, I wonder how closely related the two songs are. It would seem a bit odd to have two very similar songs one after another, so if it was a reprise, I'd expect it to come later on the album. Maybe two different-sounding songs on the same theme?

Interesting. The acoustic intro they've been using is almost definitely track 1 then. Seems weird to go straight into SOSD after that though.

There's also the possibility they recorded something just to use as an intro and it's not even on the album. A lot of bands have show intros that they never release. The Halo Effect, Evergrey, Dark Tranquillity to name a few.

Interesting that Foregone II is longer than Foregone I, I wonder how closely related the two songs are. It would seem a bit odd to have two very similar songs one after another, so if it was a reprise, I'd expect it to come later on the album. Maybe two different-sounding songs on the same theme?
Maybe it's only thematically similar (even more so than the entire record) and this pt. 2 will actually be a slow, acoustic piece, but not a reprise.

Don't forget at the moment the lead time on producing vinyls is about 6-9 months, so they may have delayed release to allow it to be available on all platforms at once. I've seen a lot of releases recently where the vinyls haven't been available until months after release.

I do agree though, it is very annoying waiting until February.

This is most likely the case. A few bands have just released the album packages without vinyl and then released the vinyl at a later date, which would be ideal here, but they probably figure it'll hurt sales and people won't buy the vinyl later.

There's also the option to first have the dates for the vinyl release and then announce the album and start spitting singles.

I mean, they surely have a production schedule (the company) so the know from the start when the physical copies are going to be for sell.

Reactions: Ilias7
More or less the same formula as usual judging from the song lengths. No TCP or Wallflower on this album.

But that's to be expected. Not for them but in general. When talking about the genre. Melodeath bands don't,usually, takes risks. And that includes the length of the songs. They tend to work in their zones of comfort.

But that's to be expected. Not for them but in general. When talking about the genre. Melodeath bands don't,usually, takes risks. And that includes the length of the songs. They tend to work in their zones of comfort.
If you mean entire album's length, agreed, but talking about one stand-out song...

At The Gates - The Fall Into Time - 06:45
Arch Enemy - Dreams of Retribution - 06:40
Soilwork - long random name from last album - 07:32
Mors Principium Est - Valley of Sacrifice, Part 1 - 06:09 (part two is similarly long, by the way)
Won't even mention Insomnium.
All those come from recent albums, except for Arch Enemy, that one is from Will to Power.

It's pretty much a standard these days, to have at least one longer track.

It's pretty unusual to have absolutely nothing over 5 minutes. Even on their more recent albums they had Dead Eyes (05:23) on SC, Wallflower (07:06) on Battles and Stay With Me (05:17) on ITM.

Granted the overall average for IF songs is likely around 3:30 - 04:30, but still... a little strange to have no song beyond the 04:30 mark. Not that I care, personally, it's just something I noticed.

Reactions: Ilias7
If you mean entire album's length, agreed, but talking about one stand-out song...

At The Gates - The Fall Into Time - 06:45
Arch Enemy - Dreams of Retribution - 06:40
Soilwork - long random name from last album - 07:32
Mors Principium Est - Valley of Sacrifice, Part 1 - 06:09 (part two is similarly long, by the way)
Won't even mention Insomnium.
All those come from recent albums, except for Arch Enemy, that one is from Will to Power.

It's pretty much a standard these days, to have at least one longer track.
But those are rules or exceptions? Also, I don't think that Insomnium counts. It's their thing. It's what they do.

It's pretty unusual to have absolutely nothing over 5 minutes. Even on their more recent albums they had Dead Eyes (05:23) on SC, Wallflower (07:06) on Battles and Stay With Me (05:17) on ITM.

Granted the overall average for IF songs is likely around 3:30 - 04:30, but still... a little strange to have no song beyond the 04:30 mark. Not that I care, personally, it's just something I noticed.
That might be an indicative that, the most of the songs for the album, are going to be fast paced.