New album Foregone out February 2023

Same for The Halo Effect by the way, there are some (Niclas?) riffs that could litteraly have been on the Passenger album. TOO SOFT AND BORING in a melodeath context album. And I strongly love Passenger.

I’m going to listen tonight without the distraction of children. Everybody is making it sound so great, I’m really looking forward to this /s

@ciko_gfb good to hear you’re ok dude, even if it comes with lowered spirits. I’m no stranger to disasters in my area unfortunately. I’m in an area that gets ravaged by wildfires frequently. If you need any kind of support, I’m sure we can at least take your mind off the struggles even momentarily with some good old fashioned arguing on here. :D keep your head up, man.

So it begins… I’m now enjoying choruses from the previously unheard songs.

Especially the one from « In the Dark » which is rather melancholic and catchy.

I’d like to underline a positive point too , the acoustic parts disseminated here and there throughout the album.

The thing i’m still uncomfortable with (regarding the new songs) is the guitars during the verses, too soft, too slow, too alt rock…

(PS : I’d like to apologize for my english, signing up here is also a way to practice more)

Edit : Let’s take the song « I, the mask » for exemple, guitars are super enjoyable! Fast and melodic, supported by energic drums… that’s all I could ask for with modern IF

Last edited:
I've listened to the album a couple of times, but I will need to listen to it more tomorrow to have a full review. My overall opinion is positive! So far I enjoy A Dialogue in B Flat Minor and Pure Light of The Mind the most and really hate Bleeding Out.

@ciko_gfb Glad you are ok, mate. I do not live in Greece anymore and I don't keep up much with the news, but I want to believe that my country did send some help. I am waiting for you to praise together our lord and saviour Anders.

Battles was bad. I the mask was, in my opinion, miles better than battles. Foregone, at least upon initial listening for me, is better than ITM. A step in the right direction, but not a leap. One small step for IF, but not one giant leap. I feel I will enjoy it more long term vs ITM.

I like it…..will be a good addition to an in flames playlist to fill my large spectrum of musical tastes.

I think Become One would have fit pretty well between Cynosure and End the Transmission. I'm not sure why it's not on the album proper. Chorus aside, it's got a pretty fun Soilwork-ish feel (even the chorus feels Soilworky, tbf).

Reactions: Moonshield_
First off welcome Moonshield_!

Okay so I listened to the full album through decent headphones and this is what I made of it.

*The Beginning of All Things That Will End:*
I thought this would be really underwhelming having heard it over tape at a show last year, but the intricacies of the mix were lost there. Piece of music but I feel it could have been much better utilised as a late album interlude, as there's no cohesive jump into SOSD. *7/10*

*State of Slow Decay:*
The first single and it got me hyped. Still enjoy it as a song but the simple A/B structure and uh... Lack of originality let it down a tad. Great live, and a good song, I'd have been happy with an album of 12 songs like this... *6/10*

*Meet Your Maker:*
This is a really good song. Not much to say about it, it just vibes with me. Nothing groundbreaking but a good solo and soaring chorus (despite the vocal production) elevate the song further. Will be great live. *7/10*

*Bleeding Out:*
Sigh. Do I have to talk about this one? I kinda like the "main" octave chord riff I guess? The problem with this song isn't even the vocals per-se, it's that the plodding verses go nowhere. If it had faster more upbeat verses like the previous two songs, the chorus would actually hit better and the song would be dare I say, passable. Solo feels cut off too early. *3/10*

*Foregone Pt. 1:*
This is a good palate cleanser after the last one, and a really great song in my opinion, it's good to have another fast In Flames track again after the tease that was writing I, The Mask (title track) and then never playing it live. Love the guitar play in this one, especially the solos and the bridge. Shout-out to the synths in this one, they add a lot of atmosphere. *8/10*

*Foregone Pt. 2:*
This is the perfect example of a song that rewards multiple listens. Really didn't care for it at first but it's steadily grown on me and I really appreciate it, especially the guitar and drum work. I enjoy the verse vocals, and the pre chorus is great, the chorus is passable but a slight letdown. Second half of the song could have gone a bit further introducing new parts instead of repeating the same mini solo and chorus again. *6/10*

*Pure Light of Mind:*
Okay this one is weird, I actually really like this one, and surprisingly I found that it instrumentally fit very well with the rest of the album - not what I was expecting from what we've heard from reviews. The verse vocals are... Interesting... Props for trying though. Trying being the key word. Chorus is really good in my opinion, guitar leads are strong, and the lyrics read as honest and surprisingly good, for Anders' recent output. *5/10*

*The Great Deceiver:*
Liked this one ever since it was released, it sounds exactly how I want In Flames to sound in 2023. No real issues for me, and no specific things jumping out, everyone just did a great job. *8/10*

*In The Dark*
This song is very interesting to me. The first minute or so is very underwhelming but as soon as those guitar melodies come in and the chorus is introduced, this song turns into one of the best earworms on the album. That pre-chorus isn't as bad to me as some of you but it is an interesting choice of delivery. Should have just been screamed. Did I mention the chorus? *7/10*

*A Dialogue in B Flat Minor:*
This song is an enigma. I really like the riffs and the synths, and the flip in the first verse from the "soft" part with cleans to the Korn like groove and screams is very satisfying. The pre-chorus and chorus is just.... Ugh. The vocal production here is so unbearable. The actual chorus melody would be good if it was sung/screamed properly. Acoustic outro is a sad glimpse at the potential the melodies in this song have. As it is it's the worst song on the album, even Bleeding Out beats it purely due to less-worse lyrics *2/10*

*Cynosure:*
I found this slightly disappointing after the low quality tease we got earlier in the week. I like that the verses sound very Passenger, even the weird vocal FX work. The chorus has been stuck in my head since I heard it the first time, very catchy, but also very shallow with no real development or progression throughout the song. Drumming in the bridge is phenomenal, props to Tanner, he killed it on this album. *5/10*

*End The Transmission:*
Just like others have said this song grows with repeat listens, I really like it to be honest, even the weird chorus. It kind of works, even though it shouldn't. Anders' very low growls are cool and different. There's a bit of tremolo picked guitar work before the final chorus that sounds straight up 90s but it's hidden beneath a decent vocal. Wish that part was used more prominently throughout the song. Weird way to end the album but I like it. *6/10*

*Become One:*
Very ASOP riffs. Great song until the clean chorus hits which somewhat ruins it (shock). Honestly though take out bleeding out and dialogue, put this in, cutting the album by 1 track in the process, and in my opinion you get a stronger album. It's criminal that they cut the best Broderick solo from the album and relegated it to bonus track. Would be a 5 because of that chorus but the solo is too fun so it gets another mark. *6/10*

Overall that gives an average score of 7/10 which I feel I fair. If the entire album was the quality of the best songs (so uh, the singles, let's not ignore the elephant in the room) then it could easily be better. Musically much stronger than anything since SOAPF, the main letdowns for me are Anders' cleans, the snorefest that is Bleeding Out killing the momentum of the album in its tracks, and the fact that there are no real curveballs with song structure, the acoustic pre-chorus break of In The Dark is the closest to that we get. ASOP and SOAPF share a common strong point of having lots of very interesting bridges and post-choruses, and they're noticeably absent here.

Its my favorite album since Siren Charms at the very least, the better songs blow SC away but honestly at least I can hear ANDERS on SC and not a computer. Please stop recording with Howard. If this album's vocals were produced in the same style as SOAPF then it would be considerably better. Chris and Tanner have came in and absolutely nailed what they've been handed.

Sorry for the insanely long post, I'm sure you will all completely disagree and say my opinion sucks.

Last edited:
First off welcome Moonshield_!

Okay so I listened to the full album through decent headphones and this is what I made of it.

*The Beginning of All Things That Will End:*
I thought this would be really underwhelming having heard it over tape at a show last year, but the intricacies of the mix were lost there. Piece of music but I feel it could have been much better utilised as a late album interlude, as there's no cohesive jump into SOSD. *7/10*

*State of Slow Decay:*
The first single and it got me hyped. Still enjoy it as a song but the simple A/B structure and uh... Lack of originality let it down a tad. Great live, and a good song, I'd have been happy with an album of 12 songs like this... *6/10*

*Meet Your Maker:*
This is a really good song. Not much to say about it, it just vibes with me. Nothing groundbreaking but a good solo and soaring chorus (despite the vocal production) elevate the song further. Will be great live. *7/10*

*Bleeding Out:*
Sigh. Do I have to talk about this one? I kinda like the "main" octave chord riff I guess? The problem with this song isn't even the vocals per-se, it's that the plodding verses go nowhere. If it had faster more upbeat verses like the previous two songs, the chorus would actually hit better and the song would be dare I say, passable. Solo feels cut off too early. *3/10*

*Foregone Pt. 1:*
This is a good palate cleanser after the last one, and a really great song in my opinion, it's good to have another fast In Flames track again after the tease that was writing I, The Mask (title track) and then never playing it live. Love the guitar play in this one, especially the solos and the bridge. Shout-out to the synths in this one, they add a lot of atmosphere. *8/10*

*Foregone Pt. 2:*
This is the perfect example of a song that rewards multiple listens. Really didn't care for it at first but it's steadily grown on me and I really appreciate it, especially the guitar and drum work. I enjoy the verse vocals, and the pre chorus is great, the chorus is passable but a slight letdown. Second half of the song could have gone a bit further introducing new parts instead of repeating the same mini solo and chorus again. *6/10*

*Pure Light of Mind:*
Okay this one is weird, I actually really like this one, and surprisingly I found that it instrumentally fit very well with the rest of the album - not what I was expecting from what we've heard from reviews. The verse vocals are... Interesting... Props for trying though. Trying being the key word. Chorus is really good in my opinion, guitar leads are strong, and the lyrics read as honest and surprisingly good, for Anders' recent output. *5/10*

*The Great Deceiver:*
Liked this one ever since it was released, it sounds exactly how I want In Flames to sound in 2023. No real issues for me, and no specific things jumping out, everyone just did a great job. *8/10*

*In The Dark*
This song is very interesting to me. The first minute or so is very underwhelming but as soon as those guitar melodies come in and the chorus is introduced, this song turns into one of the best earworms on the album. That pre-chorus isn't as bad to me as some of you but it is an interesting choice of delivery. Should have just been screamed. Did I mention the chorus? *7/10*

*A Dialogue in B Flat Minor:*
This song is an enigma. I really like the riffs and the synths, and the flip in the first verse from the "soft" part with cleans to the Korn like groove and screams is very satisfying. The pre-chorus and chorus is just.... Ugh. The vocal production here is so unbearable. The actual chorus melody would be good if it was sung/screamed properly. Acoustic outro is a sad glimpse at the potential the melodies in this song have. As it is it's the worst song on the album, even Bleeding Out beats it purely due to less-worse lyrics *2/10*

*Cynosure:*
I found this slightly disappointing after the low quality tease we got earlier in the week. I like that the verses sound very Passenger, even the weird vocal FX work. The chorus has been stuck in my head since I heard it the first time, very catchy, but also very shallow with no real development or progression throughout the song. Drumming in the bridge is phenomenal, props to Tanner, he killed it on this album. *5/10*

*End The Transmission:*
Just like others have said this song grows with repeat listens, I really like it to be honest, even the weird chorus. It kind of works, even though it shouldn't. Anders' very low growls are cool and different. There's a bit of tremolo picked guitar work before the final chorus that sounds straight up 90s but it's hidden beneath a decent vocal. Wish that part was used more prominently throughout the song. Weird way to end the album but I like it. *6/10*

*Become One:*
Very ASOP riffs. Great song until the clean chorus hits which somewhat ruins it (shock). Honestly though take out bleeding out and dialogue, put this in, cutting the album by 1 track in the process, and in my opinion you get a stronger album. It's criminal that they cut the best Broderick solo from the album and relegated it to bonus track. Would be a 5 because of that chorus but the solo is too fun so it gets another mark. *6/10*

Overall that gives an average score of 7/10 which I feel I fair. If the entire album was the quality of the best songs (so uh, the singles, let's not ignore the elephant in the room) then it could easily be better. Musically much stronger than anything since SOAPF, the main letdowns for me are Anders' cleans, the snorefest that is Bleeding Out killing the momentum of the album in its tracks, and the fact that there are no real curveballs with song structure, the acoustic pre-chorus break of In The Dark is the closest to that we get. ASOP and SOAPF share a common strong point of having lots of very interesting bridges and post-choruses, and they're noticeably absent here.

Its my favorite album since Siren Charms at the very least, the better songs blow SC away but honestly at least I can hear ANDERS on SC and not a computer. Please stop recording with Howard. If this album's were produced in the same style as SOAPF then it would be considerably better. Chris and Tanner have came in and absolutely nailed what they've been handed.

Sorry for the insanely long post, I'm sure you will all completely disagree and say my opinion sucks.

Come on man, your opinion sucks!

Reactions: TheJestersDoor
As an initial reaction I'd pop it here in my tiers of IF albums

S: TJR, Colony
A: Clayman, Come Clarity, SOAPF
B: R2R, Whoracle, ASOP
C: STYE, Foregone
D: ITM, Siren Charms
E: Battles

Reactions: Xpyro125
Just finished the album, really tough to write a review right off the bat but here we go

Ratings based off a guy who would give 'Dawn of a New Day', 'Dark Signs' and 'March to the Shore' 10/10s

1. Beginning of All Things
- Pretty cool way to introduce the album but let's face it, we'd all rather have a fully fledged song than just the acoustic piece they've been playing at the shows.
N/A

2. State of Slow Decay
- Even when it first came out, I wasn't too much of a fan. Its by no means a bad IF song, it's just not that memorable imo felt like a super forced death metal wanna be song. The first 50 seconds are the best then the song just gets progressively meh.
(6/10)

3. Meet Your Maker
- I dig it. Love how it feels like a much improved version of F(r)iend. Verses are great especially the pre-chorus, chorus itself I still stand by my original review, I think its catchy and melodic. I'll agree with most people here that this album has unnecessarily levels of auto-tune and you can definitely hear this here during "masquerade" and "heeeere" but I am a huge fan of the synths so definitely a great song on the album.
(7.5/10)

4. Bleeding Out
- Based on the reviews I came across, I thought this would be one of my favorite songs on the album but turns out it's quite meh overall. I feel like the song takes way too long to get started, and I'm definitely not a fan of the chorus on this one unfortunately. Especially the way Anders vocalizes 'kneeeeeeees'. The clean verses don't really fit imo, however there are definitely some good riffs and the harsh vocals in the pre-chorus , I feel, are one of the best on the album. After the second chorus, the song once again takes way too long to transition into the solo which is decent. Overall, I feel like the solos on this album are an improvement on 'ITM'. Having Chris in the picture is definitely a nice addition.
(4.5-5/10)

5. Foregone Pt. 1
- Still feel like its one of the strongest songs on the album, definitely the most aggressive. The opening riff, vocals, and drum combo, are fucking awesome and I feel like the song continues to be strong throughout. I used to be disappointed at The Great Deceiver and Foregone when they released cause I tend to like cleans on choruses, so I wasn't much of a big fan at first, but after having listened to the whole album, maybe it's good that we have at least two songs with full harsh vocals. Chorus over time really grew on me and I definitely think the bridge and solo section are one of the strongest on the album. Very solid overall and special shout out to Tanner on this one.
(8/10)

6. Foregone Pt. 2
- I tend to skip the song once the solo starts just because it gets too repetitive, but the first 3:20 min I really enjoy. The general vibe of it is really unsettling but in a melodically pleasing way and the second verse is probably one of my favorite sections in the entire album, so huge points go to that. Chorus took some time to grow on me just cause I don't like the lyrical choice and the vocalization. Once again, song gets super repetitive on the solo, which itself, is quite disappointing.
(7/10)

7. Pure Light of Mind
- At the time of writing this, I'm only listening to the song for the second time so my opinion may change a lot in the days/weeks to come. The acoustic intro, I was expecting something much better and I totally understand what people are referring to in terms of Anders' vocals and the auto-tune associated, I personally don't really mind it too much but it's not the greatest decision making from them. "The Darkness that Became me, you're the reason I'm still breathing" is the strongest part of the chorus, and the 10-15 second bridge between Chorus 1 and Verse 2 is probably the strongest part of the song in general. The song itself kind of reminds me of "Follow Me" which over time, I've rarely ever listened to and I can imagine this going that same direction for me. Enjoy the mini-solo the last time the chorus hits, but overall an average song per IF standards.
(5.5/10)

8. The Great Deceiver
- After listening to 'Cynosure', 'Dialogue in B Flat Minor' and perhaps 'End the Transmission', I'm no longer sure if this is my favorite song on the album. Regardless, it's been my favorite until now and hands-down one of the most enjoyable songs I've listened live. It definitely took some time for the chorus to grow on me (definitely nowhere near the best IF choruses) but its okay overall (I'll never understand the need for the Joey line, that is hands down their cringiest moment as a band). While I still need to process what my fav song on the album is, I'm 100% confident that the breakdown is my favorite segment on it - the absolute materialization of an IF song sample, if there were to be one. Solo is short-lived but very sweet as well.
(8.5/10)

9. In the Dark
- Man its tough to accurately rate the new songs... The main riff is super gnarly, I'm a huge fan and the verses are decent overall, the pre-chorus "this is a war" part is unfortunately the 2nd cringiest part on the entire album after the Joey line. I really like the chorus, the vocalization actually works here and overall its super catchy - Second verse accompanied by the main riff quite good again before its ruined by the this is a war part :(. Not a big fan of the solo section here unfortunately, it feels to upbeat for no reason but may have been good on another song. Love the harsh vocalization on the last chorus, as well as the drum and guitar alteration. Overall, pretty okay-decent
(7/10)

10. A Dialogue in B Flat Minor
- When I first listened, I had to replay the initial 40 seconds about 5-6 times before I actually listened to the whole song lol, I fell in love immediately. Even now after 3-4 listens, this is easily in my top 3 favorite sections on the entire album after TGD's breakdown. The song also probably has my favorite lyrics. Dig the verses (both clean and harsh), the song generally feels like it has the most unique structure on the album. Really like the chorus, super catchy and one of the better auto-tuned ones. Solo is not the strongest but still decent. The only part that turns me off is the final chorus with the unnecessarily elevated pitch and auto-tune that reminds me a lot of 'In This Life' (a song I was butchered for really enjoying). The acoustic outro is what I think 'Pure Light of Mind' should've had, but overall I can definitely see myself coming back to this song for months/years to come. The first 50% is much stronger than the second, however probably #1 / #2 fav song on the album (early days)
(9/10)

11. Cynosure
- Cynosure's intro is the final piece of my 3 favorite section puzzle on the album, absolutely In Flames-esque and brutal. Love the first verse, and the groovy vibe even though I feel the production/auto-tune should've been tuned down a lot on the vocals cause they override the quite a lot. Definitely like the chorus, also one of the better ones on the album. Second verse is weaker than the second. I think this is one of the very rare occasions where we have a drum solo in an IF song - breakdown/solo also a huge fan of, especially the way it transitions between the main riff/chorus. Extremely happy the outro is chiral to the intro. Overall, I can see myself coming back to this song for months/years to come.
(9/10)

12. End the Transmission
- Second time listening to it whilst actively writing this, also a huge huge fan of this song. I can't wait to try and cover the verses, absolutely brutal alongside the instrumental. Unnecessary auto-tune on the pre-chorus, love love love the chorus. Second verse again, top tier. Slight differentiation to the second chorus, even better than the first. I bet Chris wrote the solo on this one, definitely an interesting one. Epic overall, really big fan of the slower pace/groovy vibe.
(8.5/10)

13. Become One
- Thank god this is just a bonus track, quite parallel to 'Bleeding Out'. Has some good riffs here and there to be fair, but there's just nothing memorable about it. I really dislike the chorus, which for me is always a massive factor in classifying a song as good/bad. Overall, just reminds me of 'Not Alone' which was quite skippable itself. Probably the best part is the outro riff.
(4/10)

TLDR and subject to change

Top Tier Tracks:
1. A Dialogue In B Flat Minor - 9/10
2. Cynosure - 9/10
3. End The Transmission - 8.5/10
4. The Great Deceiver - 8/10

Decent
5. Foregone Pt. 1 - 8/10
6. Meet Your Maker - 7.5/10
7. In The Dark - 7/10
8. Foregone Pt. 2 - 7/10

Meh//Bad
9. State of Slow Decay - 6/10
10. Beginning of All Things - N/A
11. Pure Light of Mind - 5.5/10
12. Bleeding Out - 4.5/10
13. Become One - 4/10

Last edited:
As an initial reaction I'd pop it here in my tiers of IF albums

S: TJR, Colony
A: Clayman, Come Clarity, SOAPF
B: R2R, Whoracle, ASOP
C: STYE, Foregone
D: ITM, Siren Charms
E: Battles

Mine would be:

S- Come Clarity, SoaPF, Whoracle
A- Clayman, Colony, TJR
B- ITM, Foregone, Subterranean, Reroute to Remain
C- STYE, Lunar Strain
D- Siren Charms (Tempted to put this in C, but that's more because I like it rather than it being good), ASoP
F- Battles

Last edited:
Reactions: TheJestersDoor
Idk what's soooo special about ,, pure light of mind" that jester slave and others here are peeing to their own mouth and saying that this song is epic, no its not :rofl:

I agreed with the consensus around here that Battles and ITM sucked (well, people were friendlier to ITM than I was) but now I'm back to scratching my head at the reactions, lol. It's all good, though. It's nice to be the crazy one again (well, one of them, anyway). :D

Reactions: Xpyro125 and Vermyn