new album

Aug 18, 2003
Visit site
Any chance for a Kayo Dot's album this year? Do you have any idea for the song writing? Anything is written?

Why many bands today take so long to record a new album? It would be cool if you guys could release an album per year, at least for me it would be!

If you had more time on stage, would you play motW songs? Or you are really decided to not playing those songs anymore?

Can you help me with the lyrics? Everytime I get lost reading them.

this year? probaby not. we are going to start working on new ideas in may but i don't anticipate it to be completed for awhile.

when i was a kid i used to think the same thing about bands who took forever to record other albums but i mean i think you really have to be riding high on creativity to do an awesome album every year.

making an album is an intense thing to do and you only should do it when you feel you have material that is worthy of being recorded. if you do an album every year just to be consistent i am willing to bet eventually the quality would diminish. like when i heard that paul gilbert was trying to release 17 albums in one year to set a record. i bet that by the end of the year those albums were absolute shit.

also it is important to keep in mind that it takes us about a year to completely finish recording and we haven't even begun that process yet.

and if we had more time on stage we would probably do the choirs of the eye album in its entirety. i am doubtful you will hear motW songs live ever again.

Ok Greg, thanks. I am recently discouvering your music. I really like Choirs of the Eye and for me it's kind of sad you don't work on motW songs anymore 'cause there are some really good stuff.
I agree with you about bands that release an record every year. I remember that Ramones, Judas, Iron used to do that and, at least for me, the results were not that good. Or it was something below or in the same way of the previous album, which I don't like much. I like bands that change in some way.

It should also be noted that a "year" is actually only equal to about 2 months in band-dedicated time, because of the way that having a day job cuts into it. If musicians could work on music all day, every day, you'd probably see more albums more often. Solution: buy CDs, go to shows.

I've read quite alot about different bands back in the sixties and some of those groups signed contracts which required an album every six or nine months...the Beatles were like that, the Kinks, the Stones...as soon as they began being a bit more successful, they had a better bargaining position. Well into the early eighties you saw bands pumping out an album a year.

I actually prefer 30-40 minute long albums, unless I'm buying classical or progressive music (in which case, 60-70 is pretty nice).

What direction are you guys gonna head in for the next album? More doom-prog, or...?!

ulverthemes.jpg

I think Ulver had some very good ideas but they didn't quite realize them fully