New Alice in Chains "Black Gives Way to Blue"

PrgrsveMetalnChains

Vocal Prince
Jun 18, 2007
FWB, FL
Don't figure too many will enjoy or care for the classic grunge sound but just throwing it out there that its a pretty spectacular comeback album that's well worth picking up..almost every song on there kicks ass and has plenty of soul and balls that if you listened to them back in the day, you'll love it. Granted its no Symphony X or Dream Theater virtuoso madness, but its extremely tasty and soulful.

It's no Layne Staley singing (god rest one of the greatest, most underrated vocalists of the last many years)...but it works and sounds great!

Questions, Comments, and Thoughts or if you plan on giving it a listen or not?

Current favorite song on the album is Private Hell for those wanting to give it a listen...tons of emotion throughout the whole album.

I'm going to break with the accepted response and say:

1. I never understood why people put stock in AIC as a stand-out band.
2. I never understood why people rated Stanley highly.

So, not too interested here, and not for lack of virtuosity, but perhaps for lack of uniqueness and relevance.

Listened to it, not feeling it at least not yet. The grunge sound has always seemed sort of monotonous to me. Not necessarily bad, though.

So, not too interested here, and not for lack of virtuosity, but perhaps for lack of uniqueness and relevance.
:erk:

Oh goodness, I might faint. Not just because of my appreciation of the band but I am just confused I guess. AiC weren't a "stand-out" band because they were overshadowed by Nirvana...who I believe to be highly overrated and lacking in musical talent. Cobain was a good songwriter but had little to bring to the plate in terms of musicianship IMO. As for "Staley" being rated highly, if you are refering to his talent and vocal prowess as lacking you may have heard an instrumental by them or something because I am sure that anyone will say with confidence he was and still is one of the greatest rock vocalists of all time, not only bringing insane emotion to the music but even his range and tone were outstanding. Uniqueness maybe a little lacking but if you think about it they brought insane harmonies, feeling, and wound up a harder almost metal sound in their music that I think has influenced tons of bands...I think even Russell Allen said AiC / Staley was one of his many influences of modern rock/metal along w/ Soundgarden. Correct me if I'm wrong?

-Shrug- To each his own I guess though, can't win 'em all.

I'm going to break with the accepted response and say:

They are a standout band because they wrote some of the best songs in the history of Hard Rock. I refer you to "Would" and "Nutshell."

And, it's Staley, not Stanley.

As for the new CD, I have not heard it, but the reviews have been overwhelmingly positive.

...I think even Russell Allen said AiC / Staley was one of his many influences of modern rock/metal along w/ Soundgarden. Correct me if I'm wrong?

You are not wrong, Mr. Allen has cited both Chris Cornell and Layne Staley as influences and/or among his favorite singers. (On a related note, the intro to "Awakenings" is pure Cornell).

I'm aware of the pomp and circumstance surrounding that band and their frontman. It never clicked with me, and yes I'm familiar with the music. Cornell on the other hand I enjoy.

You are not wrong, Mr. Allen has cited both Chris Cornell and Layne Staley as influences and/or among his favorite singers. (On a related note, the intro to "Awakenings" is pure Cornell).

You think so? You know, it's funny you say that because out of all the Symphony X albums I have always thought of Odyssey as being the most Grunge-ish out of all of them...I notice in a lot of songs Allen tends to draw his voice down instead of immediately going to a lower or higher note, hard to explain but its like Staley's trademark...besides "Yeah" lol. Good shit though!

I'm aware of the pomp and circumstance surrounding that band and their frontman. It never clicked with me, and yes I'm familiar with the music. Cornell on the other hand I enjoy.

Well, to each his own some may not like them for whatever reason, but as far as sheer range and balls put into the music goes, I'd say Staley outdoes Cornell...although I love some of the old Soundgarden shit. If you get a chance, as much as you may dislike the band, give the song Love, Hate, Love a listen...one of Alice in Chains' best and most unknown songs just happening to be the one with the most vocal prowess. If it doesn't appeal, cool but I assure you theres nothing remotely lacking vocally in it, I've yet to see many Rock singer hit notes that high without going operatic or falsetto while not cracking their voice as Cornell tends to do at times. Either way, incredible song.

If that's the vocal "prowess" you're promoting then just stop it. Yeah sure he doesn't hit falsetto and he keeps it raspy yet high but seriously nothing super unique.

Last edited by a moderator:
He was one of the most unique vocalists in modern rock and the band itself was/is incredibly unique, blending grunge with southern-tinged metal. I don't know what you consider vocal "prowess" but if your definition of that is based on wank rather than soulful singing, then I kindly ask you to stop it, sir! :D

The only other 90s album that I hold in as high regard as "Dirt" is Faith No More's "Angel Dust." Those two monsters are unstoppable!

All this "prowess" talk lol! I was just saying he sings with a lot of soul, "Umph", balls, feeling etc... used the wrong word obviously lol. Thing I love is that he did it so well - dude was talented as fuck.

"I'm not the wank-vox type either. You guys know I'm long over Dream Theater right?"

:kickass:

If I saw that band live, not knowing who they were, and not judging by style, I'd be satisfied with his vocals.

I can't help myself, but...

Can't say it's got no emotion :)

I commend the guitarist for taking a shit and playing the song at the same time. Also a rare talent.

I'm loving what I've heard so far. I was a big fan back in the day for the first 2 or 3 albums then I got into other things. Staley was a great vocalist as far as I am concerned, particularly for the vocal chemistry with Jerry Cantrell, but that like anything else is subjective. One of the things I like about the new stuff is that William Duvall has formed a similar though not exactly-the-same sort of chemistry with Cantrell. There are going to be those who slay it because they replaced Staley and still went out as AIC, and those who like it. Whatever. I got the album on order and can't wait to hear the rest of it. :headbang:

Nice! Well...if you're more into the metal sounding shit, check out Last of My Kind, softer but melodic shit, give Private Hell a try, although the whole album is good I won't lie when I say 2-3 of the songs don't really grab my attention - just kinda like "meh".

You think so? You know, it's funny you say that because out of all the Symphony X albums I have always thought of Odyssey as being the most Grunge-ish out of all of them

Now that I think about it, I think you're right. Other modern progressive metal gets a bit grungy too at times.