New Apogee Interface

BLUElightCory

May 24, 2007
www.coryspotts.com
I'm usually not one to get excited over converters, but I just got this email from Apogee and it looks pretty cool....

symphony-io-3qtr.jpg

Introducing Symphony I/O

The New Standard in Recording Technology

We are very excited to give you a sneak preview of this amazing new product. Symphony I/O is the culmination of 25 years of Apogee design excellence and is the best sounding most advanced multi-channel audio interface Apogee has ever made.

Symphony I/O at a glance:

Next generation sound quality

Totally updated and optimized circuit design takes Apogee sound quality to the next level.

Easily switch between Logic and Pro Tools HD

With a simple front panel adjustment and the switch of a cable you can easily move between the two most popular and powerful workstations available.

USB connectivity

Easily connect Symphony I/O to any Intel based Mac via high-speed USB 2.0 and work in your favorite Core Audio based application, no drivers necessary.

Total I/O Flexibility

Symphony I/O has two slots for 5 different I/O Modules allowing you to configure the system that works best for your needs. I/O Modules include, 8 Analog I/O with Optical and an 8 channel Mic Preamp Module. See the website on Monday July 26th for the complete list and all possible configurations.

StandAlone mode for Pro Tools LE users

Working with Pro Tools LE? Simply set Symphony I/O’s Audio Interface Mode to “StandAlone” and connect directly to your Pro Tools LE interface for incredible Apogee sound quality.

Future proof connectivity

Along with PCI for Symphony, Pro Tools HD and USB 2.0, Symphony I/O features Ethernet connectivity to take advantage of emerging digital connectivity formats.

Symphony I/O Overview:

Best sounding Apogee interface ever with updated and optimized circuitry
Audio Interface Mode (AIM): Easily configure Symphony I/O for these modes:
Symphony (connect to Symphony PCIe card or Symphony Mobile Express/34 card for ultra low latency use with Logic or any Core Audio application)
Pro Tools HD (connect directly to Pro Tools PCIe card)
USB (connect to high-speed USB 2.0 port)
StandAlone (I/O inputs routed directly to I/O outputs)
Total I/O flexibility and scalability with 5 available Modules including an 8 Analog I/O with Optical and 8 channel Mic preamp module
Up to 32 channels of simultaneous analog and digital I/O per unit
Future-proof modular architecture
PCI, USB and Ethernet connectivity for emerging formats
Best cost per channel value of any high-end audio interface available

Availability:

Shipping August 2010:

Features will roll out in 5 monthly releases from August 2010 to December 2010
See website on Monday July 26th for Feature Release Schedule

Official public announcement: 7/26/2010

Get all the details, pricing and see more images and video then on our website!
www.apogeedigital.com

Thanks for your interest in Apogee and Symphony I/O!

© 2010, Apogee Electronics Corp. All Rights Reserved.

it looks so sick, one of my dudes on the "preview list" or whatever showed this to me on Friday

both the specs and the actual design.. I'm anxious to see a price

I've read the production description countless times since Saturday. I still don't really understand this product for some reason. I hope it all comes clear tomorrow :lol:

Let me just preface this by saying that I love Apogee. They are a stand-up company, have never let us down, they are the shit. I love my Duet, it's a great mobile rig that sounds as good as my RME FireFace at home. Their customer support is excellent as well.

I don't get this new interface at all, though. No Cubase support? No details on WHY it might sound "better?" Their bullet points are really laughable ""Sound Amazing" remixed and remastered," "Next generation converter quality," etc. I'm sure it's a great unit, but I want some kind of technical explanation, you know?

This unit I'm sure will be great for anyone who wants to replace their HD rig with something better sounding. Is this the first time Avid's allowed a third party HD interface? It is, AFAIK, correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, I'm just kind of baffled by the silliness of the marketing more than anything else. And they really need to support Cubase/Nuendo if they want more pros on board.

of course there's cubase support (USB for core audio based DAWs).
Would love to grab this thing...no way would I be able to afford it though

I didn't see "Easily connect Symphony I/O to any Intel based Mac via high-speed USB 2.0 and work in your favorite Core Audio based application, no drivers necessary." I feel stupid now. That's good, I'm glad they're not trying to circumvent CoreAudio. :lol:

This unit I'm sure will be great for anyone who wants to replace their HD rig with something better sounding. Is this the first time Avid's allowed a third party HD interface? It is, AFAIK, correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't think it's been allowed, I'm sure it's reverse engineered like the HD cards for the X series. I could be wrong though.

TOO EXPENSIVE. 6000 for a converter...I don't care how good it is that's insane.

It's cheaper than buying an AD16X and DA16X new, which is what you'll need to have 16 i/o of Apogee's top of the line conversion/clocking.

Or, you can get 2 Rosetta 800s + a Big Ben, which will run you about $6500 new.

This unit replaces both, with some added features and upgraded technology.

I dont understand the point of having apogee conversion run over usb 2.0.

also skeptical as to what the technical aspects that suggest this unit is the "future of conversion technology" may be.

anxious to read future releases!

I like how much manufacturers like apogee and ssl are tailoring to the era of digital recording, so I wont bash this product.