New Asterix movie - The vikings.

Belgar

The Wallonian Redneck.
I know most of us who grew up in Europe loved all the comics based on Asterix, have any of you seen the latest animation Asterix and the Vikings that came out in April-June 2006?

I just applaud Europe for making it the biggest European animation movie ever with animation studios from all over Europe that worked on the movie itself.

The trailer (in french) can be seen on http://www.asterix.com/ and I know most countries are getting their own translated versions with always the same funny names, jokes,...

Probably won't be showing here in the US since people don't have humor for anything but shit that hollywood produces.

yeah i wanted to see it with some palls, but i didn't find the time unfortunately :(
oh well, i'll wait till it comes out on DVD :kickass:
i used to be a great fan of Asterix and all the Wallon comics (like Tintin as well). and if any of you come to paris region, go to Parc Asterix, its so much better (and more pagan \m/) then disneyland. :D

yeah, i always liked the asterix albums.. there is such a great humor in it! i read the album 'asterix and the vikings' but that was a long time ago.. the movie doesnt come to my town, probably i will see the dvd

i've often wondered.. are the jokes in the people's names well translated? i never read a translated version of asterix so i always figured it must be not as cool in another language because of all these play on words which can't be done (just like how an anglophone comical movie is never as good when dubbed).

yeah, the names and stuff are still great. But my french isnt that good that i can read the original version. (didnt speak, write or read french for 2 years know.. dont understand a fuck of it). So i dont know if the humor is still on the same niveau as the original albums..

hmm, belgar! did you read the albums in both languages? then you can answer the question..

Only read them in french and the whole fun of it (like the 2 movies) are in the names. Some of the names if translated from french to dutch or english would make no sense or not be funny to a non-native french speaker.
As far as I can remember, Asterix and Obelix are the only characters in the comic books that have no meaning in french, all other characters have some humorous type of meaning. I would assume the same for other languages.

well asterix and obelix do come from the words "asterisque" and "obelisque" (shit is that the right spelling?) but its true their names arent sentences like idéfix or jolitorax. :p

Celtik Militia said:
yeah i wanted to see it with some palls, but i didn't find the time unfortunately :(
oh well, i'll wait till it comes out on DVD :kickass: :D
Actually I havn't to wait till it comes out on DVD to see it cos I've some friends (web pirates) who'r working to bring it to me.
By the way u won't find a single original CD in Tunisia cos every one is using his own ways to get whatever he wants (music, movies ,....)
We'r the Pirate nation.:oops:

cadavria said:
Actually I havn't to wait till it comes out on DVD to see it cos I've some friends (web pirates) who'r working to bring it to me.
By the way u won't find a single original CD in Tunisia cos every one is using his own ways to get whatever he wants (music, movies ,....)
We'r the Pirate nation.:oops:

not really a source of pride, but whatever

Celtik Militia said:
well asterix and obelix do come from the words "asterisque" and "obelisque" (shit is that the right spelling?) but its true their names arent sentences like idéfix or jolitorax. :p
the anglo names are usually similar jokes, rather than direct translations... not sure about other languages though