new bass

Burning_Sphere

New Metal Member
Jan 5, 2006
I play death metal (link to demo: http://sphere.metal.pl/eng/media.php ) and I want to change my bass before recording an album.

I'll have about 800$ on march

what do you suggest?

I't has to be 5string with 'fast' neck, 17mm string distance at bridge, agressive sounding especially in low-mid (150Hz) and highs.
I'm not keen on on-board electronics - active pickups are nice, but I don't need eq (I have one in my Trace Elliot)

thanks in advance :]

Do you use the high C or the low B or both? Or will you? Personally I'd get a 6 string, because even though the string spacing is tighter, it'd be the best of both worlds..or you could string it F#BEADG or something instead of BEADGC..

I know that Nile's new touring bassist uses an Ibanez SR1500 (top of the line, I think it might be discontinued though) and he has a decent tone. Other than that, I can't recommend anything other than maybe an ESP F255

Ltd F-255 would be a good choice.I play in a death metal band too and that's what I am using.It is neck-thru,and has very good tone range with 3 band eq.It has EMG-HZ pick ups on it,if you want to, you can modifie them but I think they are really good,for a passive pickup they are powerfull and sensitive which helps you hear finger moves etc.(maybe there is a help of active eq.)

BTW I listened your demo I think it is really good, you guys play great and the production of it is very clear(especially it's a demo not a full length) but I have one critique about bass,It could have a brighter tone.I think your tone is litlle much mellow than it is needed ,your riffs is very good and can be more effective with a tone little more brighter.whatever great work, waiting to see more

Check out the soundgear series basses by Ibanez. Very good value for your cash. As far as your EQ's go, just make sure you are using an amp with a good set of EQs on it. Another thing to check out when recording bass is a limiter effect such as the Boss LM-2, that will make the bass notes more even and prevent clipping/distortion during the recording process.

ESP beats IBANEZ's ass over every single day in life... period.

I use BEADG and thats all world of mine :]
I own Ibanez Soundgear (low model) and its not bas.. but I think of something with better midrange growl.

new LTD F255 are poor sounding, older ones are hard to hit in Poland :|

What about used Spector basses? Alex Webster uses one, Joe Vesano, and Rex Brown are also sounding nice :]

Hey, maybe you can keep the same bass, and just install new pickups (I'm sure lots of people on this site will have suggestions for the best-sounding brand of pickups .......).

I thought of changing pickups to EMG, but the wood (agathis) has to week high response.. so I think changing bass is better option.
If i'll have money soon I plan to buy Spector Euro5.. nice one?

In matters of "fast" neck, Ibanez's thin designs really come to mind. I've played several, and dug'em. :)

But you could go for more cutting tone- I haven't listened to the demo, but if you want to cut through and be heard- treble is a must, as are mids.

If you're interested, my favorite local store Bass Northwest www.bassnw.com ships all over the world! I suggest you go to the site, and check stuff out. Basses for every price range! :headbang:

thanx for advice - I've powered my mids thanks to TE amp :] now i'm cutting thru band much better than on good ol' Laney ;)
and yes - i'm looking for that midrange growl + some agressive highs, with hard attack, whick is very important while plaing with fingers, though I won't get it from pick

hey, does anyone remember what pickups steve said he's using? a while back he posted, and said which emgs he loaded into his esp. i think it was the regular hz passives, but i could be wrong.

there it is:

Mayones Forum V prototype
Swamp Ash body w/ Flame Maple top
5pc maple/mahogany bolt on neck 34 1/4" scale
LaFey Rough Crystal p-us with 3band Noll electronics

I can't suggest specific models for you but I do know one thing, you plan on spending $800 on a bass. If you spend just $200 more and make it a grand, the plateau of possibilities is infinitely sweeter. The difference between $800 and $1000 is far greater in rewards than the difference between $400 and $600 for example.

I've bought bass already :) you can see the photos 3posts up

Modulus Quantum is out of my price range - I was talking only about Euro5
and there's no need to change pickups - they're same as in USA model (EMG DC 40).. only used Maple is 3A not 4A, there's rosewood fingerboard instead od PaoFerro, and 9v (not 18v as USA) pre-amp (which sound even more agressive than 18v)