New Behemoth inspired IR for you all

mickrich

Aug 2, 2007
As some of you may know I have made an IR pack exclusively for X50 V2.
So I decided to make a new one to share here.
I imported and looped a bit of the new Behemoth song with guitar on its own then recorded the part on guitar and then matched it to the songs sound.
I used a combination of moving the mic, EQ and a tiny bit of room ambience.
It sounds VERY close.
The chain is Apple impulse response utility>Apogee mini DAC>6505 rtn (res7, pres8)>Rectifier OS cab>57>API>Logic>Sonnox eq for hi and lo pass>Valhalla Vintage Verb for tiny amount of ambience>Zed-R16 for analogue EQ>back to Apple IR utility.
This IR is Fully mix ready and should require no further EQ or processing to sound good. Of course, you may need/want to EQ it to fit your song.

I have called the IR "Neargal" because it's close to Nergal's sound :)
Here is the download ZIP in 44 and 48.
https://copy.com/H19QedUKpQgc8EIf

Here is a test using CannibalBarnes excellent Bloodbath cover from the practice room forum.
TSE X50 2 Beta and nothing else on the guitars.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2133088/Neargal_Bloodbath_Test.mp3

Looking forward to hearing some tests

Sounds brutal, thanks \m/

One question though, shouldn't you have created the IR with your triple rec? I mean, Behemoth uses them live and probably on the recordings also. Wouldn't it make more sense to sound like Behemoth by using a rectifier (real or ampsim) instead of a 6505/X50? (Even if it sounds awesome)

Thanks everyone.
Hope you get good use from it.

Sounds brutal, thanks m/

One question though, shouldn't you have created the IR with your triple rec? I mean, Behemoth uses them live and probably on the recordings also. Wouldn't it make more sense to sound like Behemoth by using a rectifier (real or ampsim) instead of a 6505/X50? (Even if it sounds awesome)

The rectifier doesn't "impulse" very well.
The power amp is voiced to match the preamp so returning a sweep to the power amp fx return doesn't sound good for some reason.
The 6505 impulses beautifully :)
Colin Richardson re-amped the last album through a 6505.
Nergal uses a road king live I think and probably brings lots of heads to the studio when tracking.

Thanks everyone.
Hope you get good use from it.

The rectifier doesn't "impulse" very well.
The power amp is voiced to match the preamp so returning a sweep to the power amp fx return doesn't sound good for some reason.
The 6505 impulses beautifully :)
Colin Richardson re-amped the last album through a 6505.
Nergal uses a road king live I think and probably brings lots of heads to the studio when tracking.

Ah, didn't know that the rectifier wasn't good for impulses, that may explain why most IRs are created with a 6505/5150 :)
The last 2 times i saw them live (2010-2011) they were playing with dual/triple rectifiers hence i thought it'd be the same in the studio.

Thanks for clarifying :D

Holy fuck!
That sounds amazing.
The IR suits this so well.
It really does capture like the Behemoth sound.
Thanks for posting.
What amp sim did you use?
Also, is there much post EQ?
It's great to see how well this is working.
I am planning to make a series of artist inspired IRs and will start a new thread for them.
I am making a Celtic Frost one tomorrow for a forum member.

that clip reminds me of the polish deathmetal band vesania! sounds great! Mickrich please make a gojira twoaf impulse and i will love you forever.

that clip reminds me of the polish deathmetal band vesania! sounds great! Mickrich please make a gojira twoaf impulse and i will love you forever.

I am making a Celtic Frost one for a forum member tomorrow and will do Gojira too if I have time.
Do you know what amp was used on it?