new black metal mix (20 seconds)

thanks to the both of ya... Djabthrash I'm glad you commented on the blast beats because I just found a way to make them sound more realistic and less mechanical

well instead of programming the bass drum hits so that they are at the exact same time as the snare hits, I make it so that the snare is hit first, then the bass drum, and basically speed the tempo up. Technically it's just a thrash beat (snare hit first then a bass drum hit) but sped up to twice normal speed.

the music is cool. My only suggestion would be to prhaps boost some uppermids/highs. When i think of black metal, i think more sharp shounding. The tone you have here reminds me of Hate eternal.

the music is cool. My only suggestion would be to prhaps boost some uppermids/highs. When i think of black metal, i think more sharp shounding. The tone you have here reminds me of Hate eternal.

I'm not sure how that's a bad thing...

The mix sounds great to me.

thanks for all the feedback so far... I think I might turn up mids just a tiny tiny bit but other than that I think the tone is pretty much where I hoped it to be... but that doesn't mean that can't change later on... hopefully I can get a full sound posted up here in the coming weeks

well instead of programming the bass drum hits so that they are at the exact same time as the snare hits, I make it so that the snare is hit first, then the bass drum, and basically speed the tempo up. Technically it's just a thrash beat (snare hit first then a bass drum hit) but sped up to twice normal speed.

Actually this a regular blast beat... The Pete Sandoval blast beat.

The kind of blast beat with the snare hits synchronized with the kick drum are either the Suffocation blast beat (bomb blast beat or something) or the Cannical Corpse blast beat (which is : one hit with hihat sync. with right kick, and another hit with snare and left kick, so basically kick drum is twice faster than snare).

Kevin talley's instructional video tells a lot about those different types of blast beats.

Anyway, did you mess up with velocity and stuff or not ? When i program this kind of blast beat i do some velocity stuff on the snare and the ride OR hihat to emphasize the first hit out of 2 hits (and sometime using the ride bell on the first hit)

In black metal the Sandoval blast beat is the most used that's why your drum programming sounds good i guess.

well the drum programming software I use doesn't have a good velocity component so when I program I have about 4 different snares I use. They are all from the same snare but have different velocity to each.

well the drum programming software I use doesn't have a good velocity component so when I program I have about 4 different snares I use. They are all from the same snare but have different velocity to each.

ok. What software do you use ?

If you want to make your blast beats sound even more realistic you should do some velocity stuff with the ride OR hihat as well.
You could use a different ride sample that sound more like the "ride bell" and alternate with your normal ride sample.

the drum software i use is pc drummer (pcdrummer.com) but I use beta monkey music drum samples from their double bass mania 2 kit (betamonkeymusic.com). I actually do use both a ride and ride bell sample that I use. There actually is a velocity component to pcdrummer but it's a pretty big difference in sound volume which is why I use different snare samples instead of messing the velocity for one snare.

the drum software i use is pc drummer (pcdrummer.com) but I use beta monkey music drum samples from their double bass mania 2 kit (betamonkeymusic.com). I actually do use both a ride and ride bell sample that I use. There actually is a velocity component to pcdrummer but it's a pretty big difference in sound volume which is why I use different snare samples instead of messing the velocity for one snare.

ok.

never heard about those pcdrummer and betamonkeymusic things before.

I have to check them out.