New Cab Day: Sunn O))) 612S

hsnyder

Harris Snyder
Dec 5, 2009
Toronto, Canada
EDIT - Review:

So I finally got to play this thing at proper volumes today. It is extremely dark and bassy sounding for a guitar cab! In a good way, I think. My recto 2x12 w/ V30s sounded honky after hearing this cab. I believe that I'll try recording both and blending them together - get the V30 sound but thicken and darken it a bit with the Sunn.

Tried with a bit of amp crankage - it breaks up pretty quickly - the speakers have a typical speaker breakup character - but the breakup adds a lot of brightness to the sound from all of the high harmonics. Overall its a cool cab. Not a replacement for v30s but a good addition - and great for darker sounding things. I have an extra sunn driver as well, so I'm going to see if I can put together a 212 with an EVM12L and the sunn transducer and see what happens.

SUNN.jpg

Tomorrow, good sir. I'll make a clip (with the earforce I guess) comparing these two (sunn and mesa). The reamp I have right now isn't that great - its just a 50 dollar edcor transformer in a box... So the tone may not be spectacular, but whatever. My JCR reamp is arriving next week, I hope...

EDIT: Well the reamp sounds like a box of fuck, so I'm just going to do it later this week when the radial shows up...