new Carrier Flux track. opinions on mix?

Genius Gone Insane said:
Really cool song. Too bad about the guitars, what amp did you use?...Vox are awesome...In my headphones the bass was pretty muddy too...cool track!
I used a mesa rectifier preamp and mesa 20/20 poweramp through a bogner 1x12 with vintage 30. I don't know if it's just my v30 or all of them but it has this absolutely unacceptable shit going on around 5khz that I just can't get rid of by mic placement alone without killing the topend altogether. so this was the result..heh. I just ordered an eminence governor to replace the v30 so I'll see how that compares. maybe I can mic in some more top end using a different brand speaker.

the bass consisted of 3 takes for every part, one clean, and two run through a pro-co RAT. the dirty parts were panned 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock, with the clean bass center. all that shit going on is probably the cause of the mud. maybe I'll turn up the clean bass and bring down the dirty takes a bit to make things sound cleaner down there.

Anyone cribs their avatar from Egon Shiele is cool in my book!
Good track, kinda twisted atmosphere to it - me like!
I had a go at cleaning up the EQing, boosted the levels a bit so it sat better with other tracks on my WinAmp playlist.
The snare suffered a little from the boosting but it's a bit more listenable now on my speakers.
Hope it's not rude to fiddle with your work - probably nothing like how you wanted it to sound! But I'd be interested to hear your reactions.
http://download.yousendit.com/5DF76E1D61C9B14D
Keep 'em coming, dude!

Omega_Void said:
Anyone cribs their avatar from Egon Shiele is cool in my book!
Good track, kinda twisted atmosphere to it - me like!
I had a go at cleaning up the EQing, boosted the levels a bit so it sat better with other tracks on my WinAmp playlist.
The snare suffered a little from the boosting but it's a bit more listenable now on my speakers.
Hope it's not rude to fiddle with your work - probably nothing like how you wanted it to sound! But I'd be interested to hear your reactions.
http://download.yousendit.com/5DF76E1D61C9B14D
Keep 'em coming, dude!
hey man, thanks for giving a shot at mastering my track :) it's really cool to me that you did that.

my impression is that your mastered version sounds a bit too "crunchy" to me. however the song now finally sounds sufficiently bright, whereas the original is very dull.

what kind of curve did you put on it?

thanks!

Howdy Mr Flux! Sorry I'm a bit slow getting back to you - my online time is hideously limited at the moment, goddamnit!
Wasn't really a serious attempt at mastering, I normally just mix into a limiter, with maybe Vintage Warmer or something also. I know cock-all about mastering something that's already been mixed, so it was just 12-minute fudge-o-rama!
I did it in FL Studio just 'cos that's what I was playing with at the time. Chain was:

1. GranComp (freeware VST plugin from BuzzRoom www.x-buz.com)
2. Baxxpander (by Elogoxa, more freeware)
3. Fruity Parametric Eq
4. BuzMaxi2 (BuzzRoom again, discontinued but still downloadable)
5. Voxengo Elephant

I did a jpeg showing all the settings:http://download.yousendit.com/EF344FA00BD9DE7D
The BuzzRoom plugs can grainy things up, probably the source of the additional crunchiness.
Hope this is some use to you, I'm liking this song more every time I listen to it, it really deserves a kickass mix!