New Cult of Luna "Somewhere Along the Highway"

Nov 28, 2002
San Fransisco, CA
Visit site
Just downloaded it today, and have only listened to the first few songs but this is turning out to be quite the album. I definitely think it will end up topping "Salvation." I think they have definitely done a better job of writing to their full potential, as I think "Salvation" could have been better. Anyone else heard it?

Some would say so, but I would definitely say NO. I try not to compare them too often cause it's unfair for them to always be in the shadow of ISIS. Cult of Luna is more "linear" I guess, although on this album they spend more time going off on longer instrumental parts. "Panopticon" still reigns supreme over this style of music.

Listening to it right now. I dig Cult of Luna but they always leave me hoping for more. Something seems to be missing. Pelican on the other hand, r00lz

ugh. two people have the same avatar and roughly the same sig

anyway! Pelican and COL are two different beasts. Pelican's music is a little more uplifting. COL is more bleak. I enjoy bleakness more.

but Pelican is awesome

After listening to this album numerous times now I officially give it an A. This is a fucking solid album! It's one of those albums that you don't necesarilly pick a song from and randomly play, but put it on and just listen all the way through.

I'll have to listen to it again. Maybe I'm listening to it wrong. The Fire in Our Throats Will Beckon the Thaw didn't hit me after 3 listens or so.

Yes I agree. I never really rated Salvation as it was clearly their turning point and at some times you feel they don't know where they are going. My favourite remains S/T, closely followed by The Beyond. I also loved their first 7' ep. Regarding SATH, they haved definitely moved on to a more expansive type of music. The result is breathtaking. I'm playing it over and over. This album marks a new era for Cult of Luna. Also, I hope folks will now recognise it's time they stopped jumping on the "they-are-merely-a-clone-of-Neurosis" bandwagon.

Anyway, in a few days I will be witnessing them live for the first time !!!:kickass: :kickass: :kickass:
I can't wait ! So it would be lovely if anyone who has been to one of their concerts recently could please tell me which songs they played....

Cheers.

Hatelust said:
Yes I agree. I never really rated Salvation as it was clearly their turning point and at some times you feel they don't know where they are going.... Also, I hope folks will now recognise it's time they stopped jumping on the "they-are-merely-a-clone-of-Neurosis" bandwagon.

I agree so much. It's like they had this huge potential while doing Salvation and although it's a great album, they didn't fully realize it until now. And I have definitely stopped looking at them as being in the shadow of neurosis and isis now.

I was looking for setlists earlier today, no luck BUT theres two videos on you tube of finland and dark city, dead man, so I'm sure those will atleast be in there. I REALLY hope they come to the US soon!