New Def Lep

Fire breath

Feb 20, 2002
London
piris-metalopolis.blogspot.com
I'm liking it. The main criticism seems to be that the oh oh oh oh's seem to sound like One Direction. Well if it does whatever, the song is still catchy and cool. Leppard nearly sued 1D awhile back so if anything 1D are the copyists. Everything else about the song screams mid 80s shiny Leps. The Hysteria fans should be happy at least.

Last edited by a moderator:
You know, it's funny that I'm only just now getting into Def Leppard even though I grew up in the 80s. Wasn't a big Hysteria fan at the time. But I recently found the superb Adrenalize and Euphoria and I'm a fan now. I don't mind their poppy turn, it's a heck of a lot better than what most 80s hair bands did, try to sound more "modern rock". I just don't get what they were thinking. When you're an 80s hair band, you sell out by going more pop, not go all gloomy and introspective and alienate your fan base. Bon Jovi figured it out.

This year, I bought their 1996 album Slang, and it's a very interesting album in retrospect. It doesn't have the pop sound, and has less reliant on the big choruses. However, it sort of works, at least as a one-off album. I'm not sure they could have kept it up for their entire career, but it's an intriguing change of pace. Plus, the closer on the album (at least the original album, not the extended version release a few years ago), Pearl of Euphoria is one of the stronger songs in their catalog.

Slang will always be my favorite album from them. Everything through Adrenalize is kinda on equal footing for me, Slang was such a left turn, it sounded real. I love the dark tone to it as well (minus a few tunes)

The melodicrock review has me quite excited. The studio tracks on the live album were good. I think they may have righted the ship.

Kurt

ok let me ask, does anything sound like Pyromania or older style hard rock? I, personally, have not been a fan of the Hysteria and beyond material by Def Lep. I keep hearing this has a retro feel, so I'm curious how much of a retro feel.

ok let me ask, does anything sound like Pyromania or older style hard rock? I, personally, have not been a fan of the Hysteria and beyond material by Def Lep. I keep hearing this has a retro feel, so I'm curious how much of a retro feel.

No, the older style you get must be Hysteria... The guitars are a bit heavier on a couple songs but most is light hard rock.... I was also hoping to get something a bit in style with the first 3 albums, but I don't hear it at all...

Respect for what DL became, but call me an old stogy bastard, but I haven't liked anything by them after High & Dry. I started liking them as a NWOBHM band, by the third record they were ready for MTV, and me pining for the "old" days, even back then :) Their On Through The Night set opening for Ted Nugent way back when, was awesome!

the new album rocks really hard sounds like old def lep to me. nothing too sappy all cool rock anthems especially like man enough

Rocks hard? Damn, this is not what I felt at all...

Old maybe like some stuff off Hysteria, but surely not like the first couple or three ones in my book.