New deftones

KeithRT99

BOOSH.
Nov 8, 2005
Vallejo,CA
www.soundclick.com
Anyone heard the new deftones promo? It sounds pretty promising. The songs have that old deftones feel, but they seem to have this depth/complexity their older stuff lacked (not that their older stuff was bad, in fact their old stuff are some of my favorties). It seems that frank is alot more up front, so to speak, with his keys.

discuss.

I've heard three songs off the album - 'Beware The Water', 'Hole In The Earth' and 'Rapture'.

Rapture is the most typically Deftonesy I think; it's stupidly simple big riffing. The other two are big epics - I don't really think they sound anything like anything else they've done. Like you say, they're more textured and layered than anything else they've done, and though they're epic, it's not in the same way as White Pony was; it's nowhere near as dark.

The keyboards have moved up from atmosphere to a main instrument - 'Beware The Water' has very little guitar in the verses at all. The guitars aren't just powerchords too, they play lead-type parts, which I think sound really good. Chino sounds absolutely on fire too.

From what I've heard so far, the production is awesome too - it sounds crystal clear and absolutely HUGE. Definitely a bit different (style-wise) from their old stuff, I'm really looking forward to the album.

Steve

I've always admired the Deftones ability to offer something really new with each release and I've never been dissapointed by how they've changed. I haven't heard any of the new songs yet, but I'm looking forward to it. :)