New Diabolical Masquerade

S4R

gooey
Sep 7, 2001
.il.us
Dan, are you or do you think you'll be at all involved with Diabolical Masquerade's new album?

Well, it’s a project that’s been going on for quite a time. I recorded his 1st, 2nd, and 3rd album in my studio. I did the first two when I was doing it as a profession and I did his „Nightwork“-CD right before I did „Moontower“ as a kind of warm-up. And with „Nightwork“ I felt that we were getting closer to what we actually trying to do. The 2nd album, (burps) sorry, was called, I don’t know .. „Cloaked by the moonshine mist or The phantom lodge“ two names, and with that album I felt that we were actually on the verge of doing something really unique. And with „Nightwork“ we did something unique. But now we’re doing sth. beyond unique. It’s totally weird. And what made me do it was the fact that I wanted to make one album with my new recording equipment. I just didn’t wanna do a lot of demos or preparation, I just wanted to write and record something that was going to end up on CD, so actually focused a bit more. And it always brings out the worst of your equipment when you’re doing sth. serious, and I don’t know what that is, so I can change it. It’s a combination of the „Omen“ soundtrack and Metal, really. It’s a lot of weirdness going on at the same time. We used this orchestral samples that I found with some weird guy conducting a huge orchestra of properly 50 people and they’re playing this really DeathMetal-riffs. But they’re playing it with an orchestra and when you press the key on your sampler you have it, and it’s looped. And it’s the weirdest shit! And I was like ... the first time I played this sound of the sampler, it’s like ... this is the next DIABOLICAL MASQUERADE album and that was like 4 years ago, but now I actually bought one of these samplers, I got this library. And I just called him and said we got to do this. This is gonna be so weird ... to have this orchestra. And it sounds like they’re playing our riff, because once you put guitars on it, it’s like they’re following us. But we were like following them. It’s really good, and it sounds really weird. And it’s always a really weird time changes, it’s not really commercially played, it’s really complex classical music, but it’s got the DeathMetal-touch to it. And that’s what I like. And we’re actually writing a combination of that orchestral symphonic stuff and some of Blackheims riffs and I’ve written quite a lot of parts as well. More like taking a little thing out of what he’s been doing and make it bigger. And I’ve actually edited everything together. We recorded one riff with one drumbeat and a few lines of vocals and left it. And I’ve actually expanded 20 seconds into 2 minutes by just adding, copying, fixing, reversing, making weird things. Taking a little bit out of a riff and made a new riff out of that all by using a computer. I haven’t replayed anything but the drums, and the bass. So, the guitars had been copied. They’re frozen in form and I just copied them and changed it around and it’s a different record in the way, it’s gonna be extremely a lot of songs. It’s gonna be probably 40 or 50 tracks. Based upon 17 different frames of like a theme really going. Going out for like two minutes. It’s a really different album. And it’s gonna be more of a soundtrack than a normal recording.
Taken from:
http://home.nikocity.de/claret/Int_Dan1.htm
Thanks for Unicorn and Claret :)