new Dream Theater

so I downloaded the new dream theater single from their site just now and am listening...some sabbathy sounds, then some stuff that sound derivative of Change of Seasons...

good thing: an almost one minute solo by petrucci starting at the five minute mark. longer than most of his studio solos.

bad thing: some of the lyrics sound like they wrote them in about two minutes, "stand-grand-bland" sort of rhyming.

overall I will have to listen to this one again.

I don't really know what to think of DT. When I listen to anything no-wave, it feels like they're convincingly taking the piss out of the epic scale DT put everything they do on. Still, I haven't listened to them in a long time, and I really liked A Change of Seasons last time I heard it...

I just found it online, I'm getting it now. The good news, even though it's only 7 tracks, it's over 70 minutes. There's a short instrumental at about 3 minutes, an 8 minute song, and everything else ranges from 10-14 minutes. The bad news, it's very nu metal influenced. It's not horrible, the musicianship is still great, of course, but it's definitely not nearly up to par with their last few releases.

:lol: as usual labrie is the weak link. I know its trendy to bash him but its the truth. the multimedia stuff on the disc is okay but nothing earthshattering, just typical footage of them in the studio, nothing they haven't provided on their site in the past.

Portnoy has hair again.

Petrucci's is shorter than ever, and Rudess has made a rather unspectacular face even more glaringly blarg by having a virtual crewcut.