New drum sounds ...

First thought.. I don't like the snare. It sounds small and overly compressed. Could sound cool in a mix though.
The kick is a bit boomy for my taste, but I like the toms:)

im no pro :p but i think they sound pretty dang good!

Please explain what gear you used and all that good stuff plugins ext.....

Jackal_Strain said:
First thought.. I don't like the snare. It sounds small and overly compressed. Could sound cool in a mix though.
The kick is a bit boomy for my taste, but I like the toms:)

You are right about the snare sounding small. I just compared it to a reference cd and it definitely is on the thin/small end of the spectrum. It's funny how you like something when it's on its own, but when you reference it, it suddenly sounds small and powerless ...

broken81 said:
im no pro :p but i think they sound pretty dang good!

Please explain what gear you used and all that good stuff plugins ext.....

DFHS with DW2 Kick, Pearl 1 Snare, Premier & Sonor Toms.

Kick is replaced 35% with my Tama Starclassic Samples and the snare has about 50% of a Metallica snare mixed in there.

Everything sent to individual groups which are compressed and EQed separately (Drums are compressed more than OH/AMB). All compressors are Sonalksis except for the 2Bus which is the Waves SSL compressor and a freeware TLs Limiter.

DSS3 said:
Please pan the snare back into the center ;).

Everything but the kick and snare sound ace to me dude! What'd you do to those toms, eh?

Haha, NO, I love my snares nudged to the side a little. And it's only on L3, so it's a miniscule shift. The kick is on R3, also :)

The toms have no special treatment, it's just the usual boost narrow at 100k, cut wide at 300-500k, boost narrow at 3-4k and 8k. All toms are sent to a tom-group that is EQed the same way and compressed slightly. Individual tom channels are uncompressed. I got the Arts Acoustic Reverb - Large Hall setting on a send and the tom channel is sent to that. That's basically it.