New Editorial up: What Lordi Winning Eurovision Really Means

http://www.blackmarketactivities.com/label/

Does not quite look like a subsidiary of MB...

My favorite of that whole instrumetal bunch is Canvas Solaris, because it is not over the top all the time and still metal. The Fucking Champs were not that chaotic or technical either - and basically unknown in Europe - I learned about them through Mike Scalzi mentioning them in Lamentations, I believe...

Then , of course, Spastic Ink is great as well, even though the second album had vocals. You hear who's playing from Jarzombek's first note on - that's what I call a signature style.

Jim LotFP said:
This thread is missing a great amount of shock and amusement at the video links I posted.
I'm too busy being infatuated with Silvia Night:

In my TV show in Iceland I taught the Icelandic nation how to dress, how to behave, how to think. Now the Icelandic people are alive. Thanks to me.

Lordi is not a heavy metal band. In every interview I have seen surrounding Eurovision, before the win and after, they have called themselves "heavy rock" or "hard rock." If you can't say the words "heavy metal" when a camera is in your face, I'm not sure the heavy metal community should be rallying around you, or particularly caring about what you do in a pop contest. On the other hand, fans of KISS or Alice Cooper or what have you may well be celebrating in style and with clear conscience.
I don't really understand the choise of words in "If you can't say the words "heavy metal" when a camera is in your face ...". Do you think Lordi secretly wants to be a heavy metal band but they don't have the guts to admit it? Oh, please! Lordi have their roots in rock and they have never claimed anything else. If you didn't know that, do your homework better next time.

Downfall said:
I don't really understand the choise of words in "If you can't say the words "heavy metal" when a camera is in your face ...". Do you think Lordi secretly wants to be a heavy metal band but they don't have the guts to admit it? Oh, please! Lordi have their roots in rock and they have never claimed anything else. If you didn't know that, do your homework better next time.

No, no, nothing like that. That was more a line directed at everyone throwing the heavy metal tag on Lordi, pointing out that the band doesn't even call themselves heavy metal, so using them as a rallying point for metal would be silly.

Jim, I appreciate your detailed analysis of the topic, but I think you're seriously overanalyzing something that has very little meaning. Clearly it makes no sense for people to be trumpeting some sort of "metal victory" just because Lordi won some pop music contest, but it seems like you're greatly overestimating the negative impact of people doing that. If some 15 year old girl in Helsinki starts listening to Lordi because of this and starts thinking she's a "metal" fan, really, who cares? Some random person including something that may or may not be pop music in what they consider "metal" does not have any impact on you or anyone here, and in no way makes it harder for any of us to listen to music that we enjoy. The Eurovision contest doesn't have any musical significance outside the realm of cheesy commercial pop-hype, and it wouldn't even if the most metal of metal bands were to win it.

Sumeet said:
Some random person including something that may or may not be pop music in what they consider "metal" does not have any impact on you or anyone here, and in no way makes it harder for any of us to listen to music that we enjoy.

I will disagree.

(edit: Eighty thousand people showed up for the Lordi show yesterday, not the two hundred thousand number some people were throwing around)

And remember none of these people (or at least not enough to make a difference in voting) voted for Lordi in the Eurovision contest. You can't vote for the country you're currently in.

Some Eurovision stats from its website:

"This year, the number of viewers for the Semi Final were 35% higher than in 2005 and for the Final, were up by 28%."

So all those estimates of "one hundred million viewers" based on past years? Hah. We're around 128,000,000 viewers, really.

"In France, average market shares reached 30.3%, up by 8% over last year's figure. Other countries that showed a rise in average market shares, include Germany with 38.7% (up from 29.8%), UK with 37.5% (up from 36.9%), Spain with 36% (up from 35.5%), Ireland with 58.3 % (up from 35.3%) and Sweden, which reached over 80% compared to 57.8% in 2005."

In Sweden 80% of all televisions in use (and who knows how they measure this these days) during the time Eurovision was on, were turned to Eurovision.

But Sweden had a large increase, and they gave 12 points to Finland. Ireland gave 12 to Lithuania and 10 to Finland (heavy "protest" vote there, interesting.) Spain gave Finland 10. UK gave Finland 12 and Lithuania 10 (again...). Germany gave Finland 10. France gave 8.

So all of the places they mentioned as having significantly greater interest voted for Lordi in their top three places, the most heavy increases giving the full 12 points to Lordi.

As interest in "heavy metal" rises, the industry behind heavy metal is going to fall all over themselves to make it more accessible to every single person on Earth. This doesn't simply mean MTV exposure, better distribution to stores, and the like. It does mean some people are going to get very famous and very rich.

It does mean people picking up a guitar and noodling around can see such fame and fortune as a possible outcome for them.

So what are they going to decide to play? Music that means something? Or music that will facilitate their fame and fortune?

Yeah, there will still be genuine bands out that that become successful. You know. Well, wildly successful by the standards of anyone in the heavy metal community in the 90s (or even right now, not too many million sellers hanging around heavy metal, are there?). But most of the bands becoming successful under the banner of "heavy metal" will be the equivalent of the most painted and boring of the 80s glam scene.

There will be the bands that bitch and complain. (like Flotsam and Jetsam complaining in a magazine interview in the 80s that their record label needs to do more for them because they'd sold a pitiful 150,000 copies of their album). You'll have the large magazine asking ridiculous questions to bands that aren't (currently) geared towards mass acceptance (see bands like Kreator and Sepultura in the 80s having their success compared to Metallica's).

We'll probably have our new versions of "SPECIAL REPORT: Why is concert security so dangerous to headbangers?"

And a number of them will reach a certain popularity with their anti-commercial stance and their cool music, and decide they want more, and change for the worse to be friendlier.

Now, all of this is going to be harder and heavier than the 80s equivalents. Whoever are the new generation's glame metal equivalents, they will be tons harder than the Wingers and such.

But remember, all commercial spikes and trends come to an end. If heavy metal is following the pattern of the 80s (and I think it is) as far as popularity, then the end will come quickly and decisively. A new trend (which will be musically related yet quickly distance itself from metal) will take over, and the entire heavy metal scene will collapse on itself. A few holdovers will still have careers, even more bands will shift to still seem "cool" with the new style, and most bands, with even the possibility of respectable record sales gone, will simply disappear.

Whatever heavy metal survives this, we wouldn't recognize it now. Every single thing we listen to will be "old news" and out of date for the new heavy metal underground to emerge from the ruins. It will be nastier and hostile to the old influences for awhile. No guarantees that anybody into heavy metal now will be able to stomach it. No bands that will be part of keeping that tradition alive exist yet. None of the record labels that will finance and publicize the movement exist yet. And the bands that serve as the core influences for this new future movement are probably just now releasing their first album or two, probably considered pure crap by our standards. But fuck all if anyone's going to know it until they've already gone sour and bands are talking about their "early" stuff.

A lot of words to say: Heavy metal hasn't learned a thing.

And I don't know if I'm up for all of the work it's going to take to sort through all this shit to find things I can enjoy.

So yeah, I think it's a big problem for the mass market to get hold of what they think is real "heavy metal." It won't hurt my ability to listen what I like now, but it's going to be so much more difficult to find more of that in the future. And I'm a fucking nitpick who has had a hard time of it the past few years anyway.

Somebody save this post and let's compare it to how things have gone in about ten years or so.

Downfall said:
I meant this.

Right. It wasn't meant to say that Lordi should be calling themselves heavy metal or that they are purposefully avoiding the label for any reason. More of a "See, they aren't even pretending to represent you," than a "See, this guy's a retard!" The accusatory tone is being directed towards the fans, not the band. Obviously worded poorly though. :D

Lordi is doing quite well for Lordi, and I'm not arguing that they should not be successful or change what they're doing at all. I'm arguing against connecting Lordi or their success to heavy metal because nothing good can come of it on a creative/musical level.

2006 most viewed items on the website as of midnight:

2167 views for the Impure Metal article.
859 views for the Lordi article.
632 views for the Aversionline interview.
607 views for the Scum article.
241 views for the Head On Collision interview.

(comparison with most viewed items for all of 2005:

823 views for the Sounds of the Underground article
438 views for the Good and Bad of Professional Wrestling article
384 views for the pdf of LotFP #64
355 views for the Scum article
318 views for the Circus Maximus interview)

(comparison with most viewed items for all of 2004:

312 views for the Good and Bad of Professional Wrestling article
290 views for the Kayo Dot interview (appeared in LotFP 5th Anniversary issue)
137 views for the Farmakon review
123 views for the "Some LMP Shit" review
120 views for the Agalloch interview originally done in 2002)

This Lordi thing isn't doing bad at all for being up for four days. :)

Incredible that the Lordi-thing is being viewed so much! I don't know where those viewers come from, but I really do not understand the craze at all, and such a thorough analysis of the whole topic can only come from somebody who is not familiar with the Contest, i.e. you Jim, being an American.
It does not and did not matter from which genre the winners of the contest come or came from in the past: the contest is insignificant for anything concerning the benefits of 'European' music. The potential of showing the cultural and ethnical variety of the continent through music has never been an aim of this (if any country-specific characteristics appear in the particular acts, they are comically exaggerated and cliched). The contest is the commercial music industry and related mass media celebrating itself. I'm telling nothing new here...

...but connecting it to the topic of a future (?) sellout of heavy metal is a little far fetched. I see that this problem has come to our minds because we look at the Lordi-hype as metal-fans (and seeing that they make it onto the covers of established metal magazines - even the alleged "voice from the dark side" Legacy, Germany's premier source for extreme metal).

However, this second hype of metal after the eighties has long started. We should indeed keep this posting of yours and look at it ten years from now. I predict that the biggies in this commercial boost will be bands like those that are currently drawing from the Scandinavian death scene (not the Dismembers, but the In Flames and Soilworks) on the one hand, and from the wall-of-sound type of stuff (from Devin Townsend to Meshuggah) on the other.
Some of these influences will be looked at as obscure but revered oldies in a few decades; these are the Blue Cheers, Diamond Heads or Witchfinder Generals of their time.
Others will achieve to keep up with their predecessors - not without compromising to commercial aspects at times; these are the Deep Purples, Iron Maidens and Black Sabbaths of their time.

Of course, these comparisons are not water-tight, but they should point out what I mean.

I see that Strapping Young Lad are maybe about to get more general recognition, playing 'Rock am Ring' this year, Germany's biggest and MTV-sponsored festival. Of course, labels will play a role as to whose name will stand in the future and whose is going to be erased or named secondly (as in: "This band is influenced by In Flames.......and Dark Tranquillity").

I also see that as in the past, the main protagonists of commercial metal at its peak will come from the American continent.

Occam's Razor said:
...but connecting it to the topic of a future (?) sellout of heavy metal is a little far fetched. I see that this problem has come to our minds because we look at the Lordi-hype as metal-fans (and seeing that they make it onto the covers of established metal magazines - even the alleged "voice from the dark side" Legacy, Germany's premier source for extreme metal).

And now every general interest and news magazine and newspaper, at least here. It's... very... tiring. :p

Occam's Razor said:
However, this second hype of metal after the eighties has long started.

It's started, but hasn't peaked. I think, if we are to continue the comparison, that we are in the late 70s. System of a Downs and Tool are the big rock bands that have creative credibility. Maybe Slipknot is Black Sabbath, the "heavy" band that sells a ton of records but gets no respect from anyone but the meatheads of the time. :D Whether the metalcore scene is analogous to the NWOBHM (and I'd cry forever if the New Wave of American Heavy Metal tag ends up being the accurate parallel) remains to be seen, I hope not.

So look around for the worst played, worst recordedm clankiest shit you can find and hail them as the Venom of the new age- the band that will drive every significant creative change for the next fifteen years. :D :D :D

Occam's Razor said:
I also see that as in the past, the main protagonists of commercial metal at its peak will come from the American continent.

.. and their influences will again be European. :)

What I realized: people start to become annoyed by bands like Tool - only plausible regarding their artsy behavior and paranoia concerning "internet theft of their art".
I have never believed that the success of Tool was really due to numerous people starting to be interested in the type of involved and complicated music the band plays - I think it was more because of their mysterious aura and the media suggesting you are sophisticated if you like them (the Opeth-phenomenon.:)).

I think we will hear a lot more of a band like Trivium, if we like it or not.

...and I wonder what role ex-everybody's darlings Metallica will be playing with their next album. I'm really interested in what Rick Rubin can extract from the smug, fat and repleted...:heh:

Occam's Razor said:
I think we will hear a lot more of a band like Trivium, if we like it or not.

Jim LotFP said:
Now, all of this is going to be harder and heavier than the 80s equivalents. Whoever are the new generation's glam metal equivalents, they will be tons harder than the Wingers and such.