New Evile single- HELL UNLEASHED

Darkofeden

12 Kermit the Frogs in a Denny's parking lot
Aug 10, 2009
New Hampshire
It's up on just about every streaming platform and youtube so I hope it's all good to post now

Really really really enjoy it. Like I said in the other thread, absolutely a mix of everything that came before and some new stuff. Looking forward to the rest, hope it comes soon

Edit: now with music video

Last edited:
Listened to it twice. Music is fantastic, lyrics and vocals... are not. Really hoping the rest of the album is better. To be fair, I felt the same way with this song as I did with Eternal Empire when it was released as the first single off Five Serpent's Teeth.

Still hyped regardless.

Reactions: zerostatic
I think Ol's done a great job with the vocals, pretty much as expected to be honest. Like an evil Matt? :lol: Seriously though, I think he does sound like Matt a little at times, which I guess is unavoidable what with being brothers and all, and not a bad thing or at all forced (I think this is just what comes out of Ol).

I'll be interested to hear him on the rest of the album, especially if there's more melodic / clean parts which call for a slighly different vocal approach. Which I think there may be, but we'll see! ...probably not on the Mortician cover though :lol:

Instrumentally it's the Evile we know and love, it rips. Ben sounds as massive as ever, great riffs and a sweet solo from Ol.

Last edited:
I think the only negative I've encountered after listening to the track a shit ton of times is that Ol might not be as in depth with lyrics compared to Matt. Sure, he may have been secretive about plenty of the meanings in FST and Skull but it he always came up with interesting themes. This track may be a bit generic but it's not like it was gonna put me off (it would have to be abnormally lackluster for me to lose interest).

Small nitpick but I hate that this is the last track on the album. Feels like I'm spoiling the ending to the album compared to Thrasher/Infected Nation/Underworld. But that's just personal preference.

Not sure who wrote the lyrics for each song on Skull (I can't find credits anywhere?) but I know Ol came up with the whole Skull concept. Anyway, lyrical content of Hell Unleashed doesn't bother me, but I think some of the rest of the album will have deeper lyrics maybe.

Small nitpick but I hate that this is the last track on the album. Feels like I'm spoiling the ending to the album compared to Thrasher/Infected Nation/Underworld. But that's just personal preference.

Okay i'm glad i'm not the only person who hates when bands post the last song of the album as the single. With this album sure, I understand wanting to go with the safer bet of putting something real heavy out but man I just... always love the mystique of a closing track that it's a bummer to know how it ends already.

I'm also slightly bummed that one of the tracks on here is a cover which i'm sure will be cool but it's been so long since there's been an evile album I just want all new original stuff. That being said, now that I know I like Ol's vocals for the most part i'm no longer afraid this album won't be very good so i'm moving into super hype territory

Last edited:
Reactions: ThatOneDude
I feel the exact opposite, actually. Now that I know I don't really like Ol's vocals, this album has gone from super hype down to kinda hype. :(

I do agree that having the last song on an album as a single is kinda lame, though. It loses that "I wonder how it's gonna end" feeling. Mystique is a good word for it.

What're gonna do Keenan, stop coming here? :lol: For real though, bummer you're not into it but I totally understand. Maybe there'll be some other tracks on the album you do dig

I think it's opposite, for me. I was kind of glad to see Hell Unleashed wasn't the opening track (I assumed it was). Whenever one of my favourite band's release the first track as a single I always end up listening to it too much and "ruining" it... I think I'd rather have the closer's mystique shattered than the opener's.

As for the cover, wasn't surprised to see them do another death metal song but was a little surprised at the choice. I'm expecting them to change it up quite a bit from Mortician's original....

I didn't know Zombie Apocalypse was a cover song. All this is telling me is that this really is Ol's show and that if Hell Unleashed does well then the band will have no worries. The absolute worst case scenario I could think of for this album is that it turns out unmemorable. Like, Nervosa level unmemorable.

Additionally, I'd also like to get insight from Ben and Joel regarding the writing/recording process. And I wanna know the extent of Adam's help/performance. There's so much on the table to find out about, I think its super exciting.

Not sure who wrote the lyrics for each song on Skull (I can't find credits anywhere?) but I know Ol came up with the whole Skull concept.

Then clearly I'm not giving him enough credit as an artist (as opposed to solely a composer/shredding master).

I think it's opposite, for me. I was kind of glad to see Hell Unleashed wasn't the opening track (I assumed it was). Whenever one of my favourite band's release the first track as a single I always end up listening to it too much and "ruining" it... I think I'd rather have the closer's mystique shattered than the opener's.

That's an interesting take - I didn't think of that. Now if you excuse me, I'm gonna go back to the track and run it into the fuckin ground :lol:

:lol:

I think there's some truth in what you say about them maybe choosing a real heavy straightforward, "safe" song as the single though... plus it happens to be the title track (we're definitely over thinking it :lol:) ...regardless, the general consensus seems to be incredibly positive.

Agree there's so much to be find out about the new album though. I mean, personally I'm hoping for a couple of longer, 6-7 minute more 'Skull-esque' arrangements on the album... now will that pan out, or will all the songs be more straightforward 4 minute death / thrashers like Hell Unleashed? We'll see! But I think that's a concern for some.

Then clearly I'm not giving him enough credit as an artist (as opposed to solely a composer/shredding master).

:lol: I don't know about that. All I'm saying is I know Ol has been involved in a lot of the concepts and lyrics in the past, I know he wrote the lyrics to In Memoriam for one. But yeah, I think Matt has wrote the majority in the past.

Reactions: ThatOneDude
What're gonna do Keenan, stop coming here? :lol: For real though, bummer you're not into it but I totally understand. Maybe there'll be some other tracks on the album you do dig

sxs6zg.gif

:lol:

I don't watch a lot of YouTuber stuff, but I do enjoy these guys (father and son). Pretty cool to see a reaction to Hell Unleashed from someone unfamiliar to the band... the verdict? Among other things, Ben is a beast :lol: