New Exodus

sixxswine said:
I don't know about that? It will/should be a great record. I prefer Steve's vocal approach over the late Baloff's. I know some of you hardcore muthas would disagree... This one is on the top of the list for 2004!

YES! I disagree with you! Steve is a good frontman/singer but Paul Bailoff
was a legend and he was loved and I've met the guy a few times and he
was one of the coolest bay area metal guys ever.
There aren't many heavy metal performers that lived and breathed and
represented the real essence of Heavy Metal Music and Paul did.
He's a Pioneer and a Hall of Famer for Heavy Metal period.
Have you ever heard Bonded by Blood? Did you hear
Another Lesson in Violence? SHRED!

REPRESENT.

OFFICERNICE.

A legend? I disagree there. A legend is someone like Michael Schenker. Never mainstream & highly underrated. Schenker had a cult following. Exodus barely had one. Baloff was "good" singer. Steve is better. Again, this is just my feelings on the matter. I will be getting this new record of thiers just to see what they have up their sleeve.

Oh, and yes I have heard Bonded by Blood & Another lesson in Violence...
I prefer Pleasures of the Flesh! Anyway, Baloff was only on one Studio record.
One! How can a guy be a legend? I still don't understand why people call people that NEVER met their potential legends?!

sixxswine said:
Oh, and yes I have heard Bonded by Blood & Another lesson in Violence...
I prefer Pleasures of the Flesh! Anyway, Baloff was only on one Studio record.
One! How can a guy be a legend? I still don't understand why people call people that NEVER met their potential legends?!

First Off, as I said above, I met Paul a few times. He was not an untouchable
guy. There aren't many performers like him. He was always really cool.
Some metal guys you meet are just dicks and they say "oh sorry I'm having
a bad day" and Paul may have had those days just like everyone else, but
every single time I saw him and said hello, he was always really cool.
Chuck Billy from Testament is like that too. All People know Kirk Hammett
was in Exodus right? Guess who was singing for Exodus then? PAUL WAS.
Paul was in the Bay Area Metal Scene from its earliest inception.
The Bay Area Metal scene may not mean much to you but to some people
especially those of us who grew up there and were there for it,
it's very special and very sacred. The metal that came out of the bay area
is unique and original and the energy and the love that inspired this music
is just simply unparalleled. Paul had another band after Exodus which lasted
a little while called Piranha. Bonded by Blood isn't just any old album.
Those Songs are all classics and that album has inspired many metal
musicians who came after. Bonded By Blood is one of the heaviest thrash
records of all time.

Electric Savage said:
EXODUS had a HUGE following in the underground for many years!!! Some of you may be too young to know that.

Baloff > Zetro

BTW... Baloff was also in Heathen briefly.

And Bailoff was in Piranha.

-OfficerNice

I don't know, I've never met either Baloff or Souza, but to me the voice of Exodus will always be the guy who told us how to do the Toxic Waltz. I'm sure Baloff was a cool dude and all, but I still like Zet's voice better.

I do not like nor have I ever liked Souza [I also don't like his singing on the new album]. He is far to monotous [sp?]. He did better on their recent EP "War is my sheppard" but on the album he is boring me [again!!!] .

I have the Legacy demo and when I heard him there first I already found his voice flat uniteresting and boring. I was very happy when Souza left them for Exodus and Legacy became Testament with Chuck on vocals. Can you imagine the new Exodus album with Chuck on the vocals? Now THAT would fucking KILL!! :devil:

Let Me Start By Saying That The 80's Metal Scene Is My Religion(although I Am 20 Now) And I Agree With Officernice 100%

Bailof Had Energy, Something That Souza Lacks. I Am Not Saying That I Don't Like Souza But Sometimes He Sounds Too Monotonous And Like He Has A Bunch Of Bugrs In His Throat.

Hawk said:
I do not like nor have I ever liked Souza. ... I was very happy when Souza left them for Exodus and Legacy became Testament with Chuck on vocals...
Same here! Chuck was the best thing that could happen to the Legacy-bunch. I mean, who could possibly rival an Indian screaming like being on the warpath, hehehe.
About Exodus... I've never been a real fan and I''m definitely not an Ex(o)pert as the only albums I know are Bonded By Blood and Impact Is Imminent. So if you tell me to shut up cause I know shit about Exodus I will. But I think singers were this band's doom. Neither Baloff's nor Souza's voice are exactly what would make me rampage in sexual ecstasy and rapture. Musically looked at, BBB is a decent album with a few truely remarkable songs, though. III on the other hand made me want to break the record at once. The only thing keeping me from it was the fact that it fortunately didn't belong to me.

DrillSergeant said:
Same here! Chuck was the best thing that could happen to the Legacy-bunch. I mean, who could possibly rival an Indian screaming like being on the warpath, hehehe.
About Exodus... I've never been a real fan and I''m definitely not an Ex(o)pert as the only albums I know are Bonded By Blood and Impact Is Imminent. So if you tell me to shut up cause I know shit about Exodus I will. But I think singers were this band's doom. Neither Baloff's nor Souza's voice are exactly what would make me rampage in sexual ecstasy and rapture. Musically looked at, BBB is a decent album with a few truely remarkable songs, though. III on the other hand made me want to break the record at once. The only thing keeping me from it was the fact that it fortunately didn't belong to me.
Well, you have to look at this record in the context of the time it was released. It's all very well to judge it by the standards of today's metal, but that will simply not do. :)

When it was released in 1985 [that's 18 years ago!!!] it caused a sensation!! I know, I was there. On the strenght of that album Exodus became a favorite among any serious metalhead. And the album became legenday. Paul Baloff was revered on the metal community. Kinda hard to bring back what happend when BbB was released. But the impact of that album was HUGE.

At least... that how I remember it :lol:

Hawk said:
Well, you have to look at this record in the context of the time it was released. It's all very well to judge it by the standards of today's metal, but that will simply not do. :)
Trying to make me look silly, huh? :oops: :tickled:
Now seriously, I know that this album caused quite a big stir upon the time of its release. And I don't compare it to modern days-Metal by any means. I hadn't been around in '85 but I joined the forces only 3 years later, so I had heard about BBB once or twice at that time. Maybe it's just that why I never rated this album as high as you do, you know. Maybe the legend had actually outgrown the album already in '88. I really can't tell! All I know for sure, is that other "mandatories" from pre-'88 like the first 3 'tallica albums, Reign In Blood, Peace Sells... or Spreading The Disease had a much bigger impact on me than BBB. Don't get me wrong, I actually like and own that record. But in comparison with the above mentioned it would always pull the shorter straw. At least in my book.
As for Baloff I really don't care that much. He did his job on BBB and he did it sufficiently well. Nothing more, though. And to be honest - I don't really give a fuck about how nice he might have been. To me he was just another lazy beach bum who refused to get himself a job to make a living. This guy slept under bridges before Exodus dug him out of the gutter! You can all flame me for that but I have no respect for all those wannabes who show their eternal dedication to Metal by behaving as antisocial as possible. And that includes former celebrities.

DrillSergeant said:
Trying to make me look silly, huh? :oops: :tickled:
Now seriously, I know that this album caused quite a big stir upon the time of its release. And I don't compare it to modern days-Metal by any means. I hadn't been around in '85 but I joined the forces only 3 years later, so I had heard about BBB once or twice at that time. Maybe it's just that why I never rated this album as high as you do, you know. Maybe the legend had actually outgrown the album already in '88. I really can't tell! All I know for sure, is that other "mandatories" from pre-'88 like the first 3 'tallica albums, Reign In Blood, Peace Sells... or Spreading The Disease had a much bigger impact on me than BBB. Don't get me wrong, I actually like and own that record. But in comparison with the above mentioned it would always pull the shorter straw. At least in my book.
Well, it really all a matter of taste, is it? ;) I understand the point you're making. I just know that BbB was a damn fine album for me. And although I love the voice of Baloff. I am in full agreement with what you are saying about him.

Hawk said:
Well, it really all a matter of taste, is it? ;) I understand the point you're making. I just know that BbB was a damn fine album for me. And although I love the voice of Baloff. I am in full agreement with what you are saying about him.
Glad that we agree to disagree, hahaha. With all the people loving BBB so much I guess it's more likely that I'm the one wrong here. But I just can't help it! Btw, all this gossiping about Exodus made me curious again. It's not like I'm totally itching for it but if I came across the opportunity... Maybe I'd pick up another one of their releases. Any recommendations? All I have yet is BBB. So far I have an eye on Pleasures Of The Flesh. Which is the one with Toxic Waltz and Chemi-Kill?

DrillSergeant said:
Maybe I'd pick up another one of their releases. Any recommendations? All I have yet is BBB. So far I have an eye on Pleasures Of The Flesh. Which is the one with Toxic Waltz and Chemi-Kill?

Toxic Waltz is on Fabulous Disaster.. and is VERY MUCH worth picking up. The first 3 albums are all great to me but Fab Disaster is my favorite. BBB is more serious rip you fuckin' head off thrash, while FD is looser and more fun (for lack of a better word). Both have their place..... and both are great albums!