New Fear Factory!!

Best FF album since Obsolete (for me of course). Im really happy they released quality songs this time. Im not sure if Andy mixed/produced this or just mixed, anyway it sounds really good.

They've done the same thing 3 times now. Mechanize, Industrialist, Genexus. Its been a the same pattern since 2010, release lower tuned Demanufacture-Obsolete style music and a bunch of people will comment on how "they're back", I'm failing to see how they are "just now" going back to their 95-98 sound.

I think its business for them, though, but its a bit caricature like now. I mean they really, really are milking whole "the masheeennnss" thing. The 200bpm machine gun guitars/kick drum verses with tortured rhyming patterns, jumping to clean and serene choruses is getting to the point where its super forumulaic and tired sounding. Demanufacture, Obsolete and Soul were good because they sounded completely different to each other and to everyone else. This sounds like someone is mushing Divine Heresy with a FF cover band that can't write songs out of shouty verse, clean chorus with bad transitions.

Well, i see what you are trying to point out. The reason that i found Genexus to be a better record is probably because i don't remember even one track from Industralist that i like and Mechanize got only a few that i listen from time to time. I guess im not alone when saying that Genexus is a lot more fun than the previous 2. Every review or fan comments i read are actually positive ones. As you say ,of course it's business for them, in the same way it's business for every single big act in music. Dino is 50+ years old and they are not trying to reinvent the wheel, but rather squeeze the Fear Factory formula ,which can be tiring i agree with you. Every style/band can be caricaturized very easily by the way, but at least FF coined a style of their own, instead of being a clon of a clon which seems to be the norm by now with very few exceptions.

They've done the same thing 3 times now. Mechanize, Industrialist, Genexus. Its been a the same pattern since 2010, release lower tuned Demanufacture-Obsolete style music and a bunch of people will comment on how "they're back", I'm failing to see how they are "just now" going back to their 95-98 sound.

I think its business for them, though, but its a bit caricature like now. I mean they really, really are milking whole "the masheeennnss" thing. The 200bpm machine gun guitars/kick drum verses with tortured rhyming patterns, jumping to clean and serene choruses is getting to the point where its super forumulaic and tired sounding. Demanufacture, Obsolete and Soul were good because they sounded completely different to each other and to everyone else. This sounds like someone is mushing Divine Heresy with a FF cover band that can't write songs out of shouty verse, clean chorus with bad transitions.

I have to agree, I've always been a huge fan, but Dielectric was a huge "meh" for me.

I like it. Definitely sounds like Fear Factory. But I will say this: Last time I saw them live, The first three songs they played were the first three off Obsolete. Shock, edgecrusher and Smasher/ Devourer.

I left after those three. I was like, well, that's all I really wanted to hear.

Yeah i saw them live here. I got the same feeling after replica. I hope Burton vocal coach worked with him on singing vocals.Live, he didn't hit one note correctly :/

Never been a fan. I hate when people say "every song sounds the same", but I'm going to go ahead and say it. Every song sounds the same for me.

I like it. Definitely sounds like Fear Factory. But I will say this: Last time I saw them live, The first three songs they played were the first three off Obsolete. Shock, edgecrusher and Smasher/ Devourer.

I left after those three. I was like, well, that's all I really wanted to hear.

When I saw them last month, they even played Martyr and Scapegoat and a few gems, and some songs from Digimortal (!!). And 2 years ago at Brutal Assault I was surprised to see them play Archetype cause it's from the time Dino was out of the band. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing them those two times, but yeah, Burton can't sing for absolute shit, it's painful.

Fckin hell, full album stream here!

Killer mix and production!

Andy did the mixing and mastering. I think he nailed it again :headbang:

Last edited by a moderator:
Andy. Jesus. That sounds soooooooooo good. I don't even care about the songs it's immediately going in my reference pile.

Wow three songs in and I feel the need to comment twice. This is absolutely crushing.

Am I the only one hearing an overdose of autotune/melodyne/whatever on almost every single sung parts ?

Also Burton's voice sounds slightly tired imo. It struck me while listenning to Genexus and Mechanize one after the other.

Overall, despite the superior mix (not heard many metal records of this caliber soundwise this year) I find most of the synth/programming awfully dated, and the melodies far beyond cheesiness, even by FF standards.