New Fen Interview.

Hubster

Oct 29, 2003
Bondi Australia
Thursday, July 10, 2008

Fen - Interview

Interview with The Watcher of U.K. progressive black metal band Fen:

1. In your music a lot of sorrow can clearly be heard. There is also an obvious influence from nature (just listening to the music brings to mind images of vast landscapes). What would you consider your main influences?

We draw our influences from a wide variety of sources, from both musical sources and deeper, more personal factors. Landscapes are an intrinsic part of the human experience - often, emotion can be intertwined and almost analogized by the vistas that surround us. Speaking personally, when experiencing powerful emotions such as sorrow, exultation or despair, one's surroundings can almost 'channel' these feelings into a near-transcendental experience. Therefore, Fen is most definitely influenced by – and seeks to inspire – a sense of a merging between landscape and spirit.

Musically, we are rooted in the more reflective and progressive side of black metal where atmosphere and conviction is the main focus. Bands such as Primordial, Negura Bunget, Drudkh, Burzum, Agalloch, Ved Buenes Ende, these are real inspirations for us. We are also all admirers of atmospheric rock music, progressive rock, shoegaze and, currently 'trendy' though it is, post-rock - acts such as Mogwai, Isis, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Red Sparowes and Slowdive are as much of an influence as the aforementioned.

2. Fen are a part of what seems to be a growing number of U.K. Black Metal bands, what is your opinion on the U.K. Black Metal scene and the U.K. underground music scene in general?

UK Black metal is really starting to gather momentum I feel. There are some excellent new bands emerging from these isles right now – Wodensthrone, Lyrinx and Niroth to name but three – and the quality of output from these alone surpasses most (if not all) of the black metal previously produced from the UK I believe the time has now arrived whereby UK black metal can stand shoulder to shoulder with its peers. For too long, UK black metal has been perceived as something comical, something to be derided and this has not been aided by the (in my opinion) passionless, weak efforts from the more well-known protagonists. This is all starting to change.

As for the UK underground in general, like any other country, there's a handful of excellence and a sackful of mediocrity unfortunately. The support is there, the passion from fans and bands alike cannot be doubted, the quality is as always variable. It's certainly healthy though and it's reassuring to observe the number of young bands playing with sheer enthusiasm (see the retro thrash revival for evidence of this).

3. I hear Fen are contributing to the "Toteninsel compilation" could you tell us some more about this compilation?

The Toteninsel tribute is a compilation album of selected artists that has been set up in honour of the Arnold Bocklin painting 'Toteninsel' or 'Isle of the Dead'. The painting itself possesses a mysterious quality that is at once disquietingly eerie yet strangely beautiful. Each band that has agreed to participate has submitted a dedicated track written and recorded specifically for this project.

The project was set up by RH from Sael and he has personally overseen the whole thing from its inception. All of the participating bands were personally invited to contribute so it is a great honour for us and we hope that our track 'Towards the Shores of the End' will do the concept justice (those who have seen us live may know the song as it now forms part of our set). Other bands participating include Frostmoon Eclipse, Blut aus Nord, Angmar, Obscurus Advocam and Art of the Black Blood (which features members of Agalloch).

I can tell you now, I have heard a number of the tracks already submitted and the quality of these songs is mindblowing. All the bands have excelled themselves and this compilation promises to be something very, very special.

4. It seems Fen have come a long way in a very short time, you have released your first E.P. on Northern Silence, and since signed with Code666 and you have supported none other than Agalloch for their recent Belgian show. Did all of this seem to just happen or was it a matter of a lot of hard work paying off? Also, how do you feel about enjoying such success in such a short time?

We have indeed had a very busy couple of years since we formed! It is quite surprising for us as none of us really expected this, the band was created initially as a way for some friends to play music together and share a common sonic goal. We have all played together before in other bands and I feel we have certainly 'paid our dues' so to speak but nonetheless, things have moved very rapidly and we certainly didn't expect the level of interest we have received. If you'd told me a year ago that within the next 12 months we would be playing with Agalloch in Belgium and have a 12" MLP in the racks, I wouldn't have believed you!
It is humbling for me that people have taken such an interest in the band at this early stage and whilst it is of course satisfying that one's output is appreciated, there is an associated pressure with this. People's expectations and hopes are raised – therefore, I sincerely hope that we can continue to deliver a musical and aesthetic experience that people can relate to.

5. From what I gather Fen's live performances are few and far between. How are live shows handled? Is each one an attempt to be something special for the audience?

Well, at the risk of sounding somewhat arrogant, we're not a band that tends to actively seek gigs. We prefer to choose our live shows more carefully and make sure that a more appropriate atmosphere is forthcoming. So far, in the half-dozen or so gigs we have played, we have played with Negura Bunget, Skyforger and Agalloch, all bands with which we have an affinity and these were excellent shows with the audiences really contributing to the whole experience. The Agalloch and Negura Bunget shows in particular were very special and we felt a real affinity with the members of the bands.
When onstage, we try to ensure that we are communicating as effectively as possible, that ourselves and the audience are connecting through the music. No elaborate stage shows or gimmicks, just the four of us immersing ourselves in what we are creating. The Fen live performance is very different from Fen on record – the live experience of music is by its very nature more immediate, more physical and this is reflected in our shows. It's quite a primal encounter when compared to the myriad layerings of the recorded sound, emotions and atmospheres delivered much more directly.

6. What are your plans for the future of Fen?

At this moment in time, we are in the process of recording our debut album. As with 'Ancient Sorrow', we have recorded this ourselves with much of the rhythm work being recorded live to ensure that the record is as organic as possible. The album will consist of seven songs and the material is a continued development from our earlier recordings – in particular, the dynamics are emphasized, the heavier sections more intense, the quieter passages more reflective. We consider it to be a distinct yet logical development of our sound and the album should be out in November.

The Toteninsel compilation is also nearing completion and should be ready for release before the end of the year. Other than that, we are continuing to develop our sound, work on new material and are looking to play some shows in the autumn. Several interesting bills are in discussion so watch this space. Indeed, we'd love to head over to Ireland at some point as the scene there is very strong with some good bands and dedicated supporters. So if anyone reading is setting up an appropriate bill, do get in touch!

7. Finally, is there anything you would like to add to close this interview?

Thanks for the interview and your support Declan. We'd also like to acknowledge all of those who have supported us thus far on the journey, long may it continue.

http://www.myspace.com/fenband