New Gojira

mva801

Nov 18, 2009

I love it so far. I think I read on Pitchfork that the record was mixed by the band. Not sure if that's true? I know they're including a live dvd or something with the physical copies and THAT was mixed by them, but I dunno.

I like this mix so far way better that the last record and Josh Wilbur's over the top clipped snare. It sounds more organic. If they did mix it themselves, they did a hell of a job! Awaiting the full album.....

Reactions: Trodden
I think I read that it was self recorded and then mixed by their FOH engineer. I think that's kind of a cool approach to work with the same ears who helps you translate live. I'm sure another engineer could have gave their sound a cool spin, but it was probably easy for them to work with someone already part of the crew.

Yeah, the mix was done bei Johann Meyer which is also their FOH engineer. (Whoever did not already see them live: their stage sound is incredible!)

I like the song and the mix although I was a bit disappointed when I heard it the first time because I was maybe expecting something a bit heavier with a bit more bang.

Can't wait for the full album.

Reactions: Trodden
That's either a Slate kick or they did a really good job at recreating one.

This. The song is really good imo and the chorus is simple yet catchy as hell. Dig the guitar tone too. Curious to hear the other tunes.

hmm, didn´t like that one song much. Hope there´s better, "more like Gojira", material on that record, not simple and boring stuff like this one

Never really got into this band. I just don't understand the hype to be honest. Maybe I just need to grab an album or 2 and play it out for 2 months and see if it grows on me.

I didn't get them at first either. After I'd heard 'From Mars To Sirius' for about the 8th time all of a sudden I just got it and loved them. They're not the flashiest band. I think they rely more on creating an atmosphere and a groove than on shredding. My favorite Gojira song is Vacuity, which is pretty damn simple. They just strike a chord with me.

Also Mario is THE hardest hitting drummer in metal. He's just pure joy to watch.

Never really got into this band. I just don't understand the hype to be honest. Maybe I just need to grab an album or 2 and play it out for 2 months and see if it grows on me.

Listen to The Art of Dying and Toxic Garbage Island from The Way of All Flesh. If you don't like those songs then it's just a preference thing. They basically sound like Lamb of God had a fuckbaby with Meshuggah.

I don't mean to sound like one of those typical "the old stuff was better" hipster douchebags, but The Link and From Mars To Sirius are the 'original' Gojira and, in my opinion, the far superior breed of metal. They didn't sound like ANY body else on those two albums, and hadn't yet formulated too much of their own sound either. It's really raw, really unfiltered, fucking great techy death metal, well peppered with world-music elements and tons of atmosphere.

Now, with anything after Way of All Flesh, it sounds so phoned in. With the constant trippy kick drum patterns, and those done-to-death pick-scrape noises (which used to be a cool feature) they sound like a covers band doing music "in the style of" Gojira. They still have their own identity, for sure, it just doesn't feel as strong as it did on those other two albums, and it feels like they've fallen into a trap of predictability.

Do yourself a favour and grab those two albums I mentioned, especially Mars. It's up there as one of my favourite albums of all time, from start to finish it's a total journey. Love it.

Reactions: TRUIE
Good song for sure but I don't find any typical Gojira touch in there if that makes sense. The first single sounds more unique to me. Still, this band is really awesome.