New Gojira

Shpongled

Aug 30, 2001
After a couple audio cock teases (I fucking hate how they do this every time they put out an album), Gojira finally dropped a new song. It's actually damned good and I'm even more stoked for the album now.

Reactions: Anvil
This has me like

oh-boy-spanky-George-McFarland.gif

Sounds like the last Alice in Chains album, guitar sound-wise. I like it, it's really catchy. I haven't listened to anything they've done since The Way of All Flesh, as they started to sound watered-down and same-y. This is nice, although it doesn't blow my mind or anything.

I take that back, I heard L'enfant Sauvage but wasn't really taken by it. Good album, but all the songs sounded like they were running together and it didn't stick.

Elephant Sausage took me a REALLY long time to get into. If I didn't love the band already it probably would never have happened. Definitely their least appealing offering to date, but there are actually some really great parts of the album. Hopefully this new one has some heavier shit on it.

yeah this new song is waaay better than the first one. still sounds like the Gojira Lite of that last album, maybe the album will have some more heavy stuff.

Hmm. I honestly haven't paid Gojira as much attention as I could have I guess. The few times I listened to them (a long time ago), there was just something about them that didn't click with me at all. Listening to a few of their past albums now though, I can't believe how much Joe Duplantier sounds like a cross between Devin Townsend and Jens Kidman.

Really enjoying From Mars to Sirius.

Last edited:
Couldn't ever get into Gojira. Something about it bugged me to no end. That no longer is a problem.

Digging it all now.

Saw them last Friday at the Paris edition of Download. The sound was crap for the first 2 songs but then got really better. It's really a good live band, they are at 100%. They played a couple of song from the next album. Honestly, it's just not my thing. I like twoaf, but all their other stuff failed to impress me.

I've heard the whole album now. After only one playthrough, I think it's probably their overall least heavy album. There are some heavy tunes for sure, Silvera being the heaviest, but mostly this album is wide open with lots of trippy melodic stuff going on. LOTS of clean vocals which I didn't expect and NONE of those awesome Gojira signature pick slides they used on every album before this one.

The progression this band seems to be entering reminds me a lot of how Mastodon grew over time. Started out heavy and slowly got more melodic and psychedelic over time. This is still a good album but right now I think it will need to grow on me a bit before I truly love it. Same thing happened with their last album. Sort of disappointed, but also sort of expected this so it's not a loss at all. No band really ever stays exactly the same when they're around as long as Gojira has been. If they do, they usually get boring so ultimately I think this will be a good thing.

Although it's not super heavy, the title track (Magma) has a some really cool guitar trickery going on.