new GPU VST plugins

dani

beat defective
Sep 12, 2008
hi all,

i'm writing some new plugins that run on GPUs, i'd just like to know - would anyone be interested in such a thing?

also, what GPU do you have in your DAW rig?

thanks,

Interesting. What are the benefits to running on a GPU instead of a CPU? My DAW rig is also my gaming rig, so I have a GTX 580 in it, soon to be a 780.

That sounds interesting. Do you use OpenCL? I've got gtx760 in my rig and it has a lot of juice that I could use for something other than video games :)

well, GPUs have got tons more compute power available than a CPU - if you can exploit it correctly. a lot of audio plugins aren't what you'd call data-parallel, which is required to get good performance.. i believe i may have solved some of these issues. also, they typically have a lot of RAM..

yes, OpenCL all round.

i just got a GTX780Ti, and that is a BEAST of a card. 10% of that GPU is several times faster than your top end quad core haswell CPU.

anyways, will be good to get more feedback from more people. this is looking to be my next big project.

thanks,

Really nice approach if it means getting rid of perceivable latencies! IR (reverbs) always were really taxing on the CPU whenever I tried them, especially on a big sequence. 760Ti here.

I have been surprised that that aren't more GPU utilizing VST, DX, AU and RTAS plugins, especially DX considering it is one of the most popular multimedia API for windows and every GPU on the market knows how to process DX natively.

Its a smart concept considering that GPUs are DSPs which are unlike the traditional CPU, real-time. They are much faster at crunching raw serial streams of data than any CPU because they are real time. If you give a thread one task and leave it to process data without interruption it is really fast, one thread completely independent and processing one algorithm is crazy fast. Unlike a CPU they don't need to have interfaces for multiple devices with task schedulers, memory controllers, peripheral control etc. There is little overhead, they are lean mean data processing machines.

You can have the GPU processing data and leave the CPU do other things.

HD 7750

What's the difference between Cuda Cores and whatever ATI uses?

So far as I know it's only Nebula that is making use of wasted GPU processing? (and the reverb posted above)

An excellent idea which would take advantage of the new Mac Pro's duel graphics cards, which may be great for making Toy Story 4 but as yet not much advantage to audio as far as I can tell. GPU audio plug ins would make that machine more attractive to pro users at least (be a along time before the rest of us can afford one!).

it can also get even faster. there are some amazing stuff going on nvidia CUDA supporting graphic cards, i saw it on video editing plugins, it is amazing indeed.

interesting to hear.

working on getting this GPU EQ ready, but i have a lot more than that in mind.

as far as loading regular VSTs on to a GPU.. that isn't really something that can be done. at the core of it, the plugins have to be fundamentally different in the way they process audio, and some things aren't even possible to do efficiently on a GPU. besides, writing a translator would be.. a task. haha.

there is no real difference between OpenCL and CUDA, except that OpenCL will run on all the GPUs!

Make a plugin that wraps other plugins to GPU and, you are golden forever x)

Make a plugin that wraps other plugins to GPU and, you are golden forever x)

it's impossible, i'm afraid :(

i'd need to work with the vendors that write the plugins, and even if that did somehow happen, they'd just ship a different product costing twice as much -_-

thanks,

I am trying to think what eats most of my CPU. That is what I would like to offset to something like the GPU.

IR cab sims and reverbs definitely. I will probably try the GPU loader and see how it goes.

Other than that, it is analog modeling plugins. Nebula I think has a GPU option but it doesn't help that much. Then others that try and get the saturation and all that right. VSTi's eat up a lot too.

But as far as the regular day to day plugins ( EQ, compressor, etc.) they don't really hit my cpu that hard at all.