New guy here

PasChris

New Metal Member
Jul 11, 2016
Hi everyone! New to the forum. Thought I would ask a new twist to an old question.

One thing that i appreciate about Theocracy's music is the strong lyrical content. Anyone know of any other metal bands (no screamers, sorry, I'm old school) with biblically grounded, sound doctrine based lyrics?

I'm just not satisfied with "christian-themed", "faith based", "inspirational" or any other of those watered down terms.

So far, I've found all 3 albums from theocracy and "O Ransomed Son" from Ascend the Hill. But the later is more rock than metal.

Thanks for the help!

Also, I've been really impressed by all of Theocracy's music. Anyone know what church Matt and the others are a part of?

Anyone know what church Matt and the others are a part of?

I'll take a shot at this one. The last time I saw Matt discuss this was in a 2011 interview (which is at http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/threads/matt-smith-skype-interview-on-the-slice.741174/). Here's the relevant portion:

"Q: How would you identify yourself as a Christian?

A: I grew up Baptist. The church I'm going to now is sort of non-denominational. I wouldn't say I identify myself in any particular way as far as different sects and denominations. As long as the important core beliefs are the same. People are always going to have minor things they disagree on. We've got...our guitar player Jon is Catholic, so we come from all different sorts of backgrounds, but all have the same core beliefs."

Shawn gave his thoughts in posts #14 & 19 of this thread: http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...ian-denomination-tradition-philosophy.735788/

I'd already read these church comments & some other vaguely amusing ones. So how about the search for non-screamo great power metal bands with strong biblical lyrics? I've been settling for melodic secular & screamo Christian bands since I've yet to find any other group half as good as Theocracy.

Last edited:
Why do the religious leanings of the lyrics even enter into it? If a band is good they're good whether they're espousing Satanism or Christianity or Paganism or whatever. It seems strange to me that religious people would feel the need to listen only to music that confirms them in their beliefs.

They're not saying that's all they listen to.

To the question, I highly recommend Leviticus, a favourite band of mine personally.

They're not saying that's all they listen to.

To the question, I highly recommend Leviticus, a favourite band of mine personally.

I knew some Theocracy fans at university, and they wouldn't listen to any music with even vaguely Satanic themes (so cut themselves off from some of the best music out there). I don't know that that's definitely the case here, but seeking out music specifically for "biblically grounded, sound doctrine based lyrics" makes me think it might be.

Thanks for the suggestion & the support, CASSETTEISGOD.

I love Bjorn Stigsson's "Together With Friends" album featuring the guys from Leviticus, but after all these decades, I don't think I've ever actually listened to Leviticus. Maybe it's time.

Reactions: CiG
Tbh I'm just curious to hear their reasons for why they want music with a specific kind of lyrical content. I'm not "on their case".

I do not listen to satanic or blasphemous songs. Why? I don't want to listen to songs that mock my saviour just as I would refuse to listen to songs that mock my other loved ones like my wife, my son, my parents...
Songs easily get stuck in my head throughout the day (including the lyrics) and I don't want to repeat lyrics I wholeheartely disagree with again and again.

Futher I do believe human brains have a tendency to follow the rule "Put garbage in, get garbage out".

Reactions: Aish!
This whole album isn't in this vein lyrically, but it's a great record nonetheless and this song is perhaps the centerpiece.

I do not listen to satanic or blasphemous songs. Why? I don't want to listen to songs that mock my saviour just as I would refuse to listen to songs that mock my other loved ones like my wife, my son, my parents...
Songs easily get stuck in my head throughout the day (including the lyrics) and I don't want to repeat lyrics I wholeheartely disagree with again and again.

Futher I do believe human brains have a tendency to follow the rule "Put garbage in, get garbage out".

Thought so. My thinking is that any God who actually exists probably has a pretty good sense of humour, and whether or not you choose to listen to satanic or blasphemous music is probably pretty low on his list of priorities.

You've probably already heard them, but Trouble are a good old school Christian band:

One of the things that's interesting about the whole Christian/Satanic music thing is how similar the lyrics and imagery end up being. This from Trouble:

I am the tempter
Ruler of hell
Bringer of evil
Beware

Watch for temptation for it is there
Takes his time but loves to dare
All the people they are losing their minds
He don't care, takes all kinds
Says love won't you take a bite
God appears says "this ain't right"
We are damned for what evil has done
You know now the Tempter has won

I guess it works from either side; as long as you're singing about evil and the devil, it doesn't really matter whether you take them seriously or not.

Last edited: