New guy in town

Random Axe

Common Sense Man!
Sep 27, 2002
Cincinnati, OH
Visit site
Hello Enchant, Ed and everyone else on this board. This is my first post here, and hopefully it's the first of many as I get to know you. I've been around the prog community for many years and have just now ventured into the realm of specific band forums. There may be many I already know here from the PMX and Perpetual Motion boards. I've been friends with board member Eric Ragno(chynablue) for a while now, so that's at least one person I know. I thought it to be in good taste to introduce myself before posting replies on other's posts without providing a bit of background. I'm too old to get flamed or banned at this point.

I am not a prog head in the traditional sense and have little experience with the prog movements of the 70's and early 80's. My progressive roots lie firmly entrenched in Dream Theater, Fates Warning and some mid 90's bands like Enchant, Altura, Shadow Gallery and most of the Magna Carta catalog of the time. I am driven by three things in music...passion, emotion and dynamics. If a band is passionate about their music and craft, if the band envokes an emotional response and can express themselves in a variety of ways from heavy to acoustic, then I'm all over them. Of course a good singer helps.

My favorites albums almost in order are:

Queensryche - Mindcrime
Dream Theater - Images and Words
Styx - Greatest Hits vol 1 and 2
Lethal - Programmed
Enchant - Blueprint
Vox Tempus - In the Eye of Time

I'll stop writing now, as I've probably bored the crap out of you. I sincerely hope to contribute positive things on this board with my undying sarcasm, cynicism and brutal honesty and sick sense of humor. I also hope to make new friends and learn about new music and bands. Thanks for reading.

Scott
Cincinnati, OH

Hey welcome Scott

Hey if your driven by passion, emotion and dynamics you came to the right place. I think you will find a lot of folks here have the same favorites as you.

From reading your post you should fit right in here, most of the people on this forum have a very open mind and enjoy a wide variety of great music.

We have our roots in progressive music but there are not too many traditional narrow minded prog purists types here, I can't think of any actually.

Just the best of folks who rarely flame on anyone, and I can not recall a banning of anyone or public flogging in some time :devil: we don,t get too many trolls here either.

Thanks for the post Ed

Random Axe said:
Hello Enchant, Ed and everyone else on this board. This is my first post here, and hopefully it's the first of many as I get to know you. I've been around the prog community for many years and have just now ventured into the realm of specific band forums. There may be many I already know here from the PMX and Perpetual Motion boards. I've been friends with board member Eric Ragno(chynablue) for a while now, so that's at least one person I know. I thought it to be in good taste to introduce myself before posting replies on other's posts without providing a bit of background. I'm too old to get flamed or banned at this point.

I am not a prog head in the traditional sense and have little experience with the prog movements of the 70's and early 80's. My progressive roots lie firmly entrenched in Dream Theater, Fates Warning and some mid 90's bands like Enchant, Altura, Shadow Gallery and most of the Magna Carta catalog of the time. I am driven by three things in music...passion, emotion and dynamics. If a band is passionate about their music and craft, if the band envokes an emotional response and can express themselves in a variety of ways from heavy to acoustic, then I'm all over them. Of course a good singer helps.

My favorites albums almost in order are:

Queensryche - Mindcrime
Dream Theater - Images and Words
Styx - Greatest Hits vol 1 and 2
Lethal - Programmed
Enchant - Blueprint
Vox Tempus - In the Eye of Time

I'll stop writing now, as I've probably bored the crap out of you. I sincerely hope to contribute positive things on this board with my undying sarcasm, cynicism and brutal honesty and sick sense of humor. I also hope to make new friends and learn about new music and bands. Thanks for reading.

Scott
Cincinnati, OH

Random Axe said:
- snip -
... I am driven by three things in music...passion, emotion and dynamics. If a band is passionate about their music and craft, if the band envokes an emotional response and can express themselves in a variety of ways from heavy to acoustic, then I'm all over them. Of course a good singer helps. ... - snip -

hey and hello! i agree with u 100% here. :) i think fans from enchant might respond to the emotional side most of all, and not rip songs or live performances to shreds due to technicalities like on some other boards ... *cough* pm board *cough* :D

You'll find elitists on any board, but most do frequent PMX. That's kind of why I have little interest in those people because it's more band bashing than discussion. I know what I like, period. I don't need someone telling me I don't know the true meaning of prog or that my favorite guitarist is technically inferior cause he can't perform an inverted b-flat decending arpegio in 12/5 time.

A band and album that pretty much sums up all I look for is Redemption - The Fullness of Time. It's got Ray Alder on vocals and it's probably the most emotional disc, both in lyric and presentation, I've heard in a loooong time. Definitely is album of the year for me hands down.

Thanks for welcoming me to the board.

Scott