New Helstar tracks posted!!!

please do not insult Helstar with fucking Pantera. Pantera are not a straight up thrash band mate.

Get Nosferatu first, that guy is insane if he thinks A Distant Thunder is better than Nosferatu.
Then I guess I'm insane.
Don't get me wrong though, I think Nosferatu is very close. But A Distant Thunder has Genius Of Insanity and Winds of War, two of my favorite Helstar songs

Since when was Helstar a thrash band?

I dont really want to argue USPM influence on thrash/trad but basically not like Pantera and it's incredibly insulting :lol:

Well, given the fact that Helstar were making quality power metal some 25 years ago, when Pantera was still producing crap like Projects, that only got to stink slightly less some years later, I can see how comparing Helstar to Pantera would be insulting (to Helstar, of course). I don't think Pantera's best even competed with Helstar's worst (Multiples of Black). I love their first four albums, and am stoked that the core of the classic line-up (even though I think I'd prefer Andre Corbin's solos) is releasing a new album that sounds like it'll be more or less on par with the old stuff.

But Thrash? No, like Nevermore they have the occasional thrashy song, but the quintessential Helstar is great power metal with awesome guitars and fine vocals. James is a much better vocalist than Kiske ever was, too - that's not saying much in itself, but this is: he's not far behind Warrel. I would be surprised if Nevermore fans didn't like the Burning Star - Nosferatu albums, actually. I certainly do and especially Remnants, Thunder, and Nosferatu still get a lot of play time in my CD changer, 20+ years old or not.

It's a little hard to rate the new album based on the overly compressed songs on their site, though. When Empires Fall sounds like classic Helstar, the first half of Wicked Disposition seems to drag on a bit (the second half makes up for that), and Pain Will Be Thy Name sounds like the modern era Thrash we've heard from the Bay Area - not typically Helstar but not bad either. I'm sure I'll pick the album up, in spite of its silly cover, as soon as it's released.

I dont really want to argue USPM influence on thrash/trad but basically not like Pantera and it's incredibly insulting :lol:

Well get ready to be insulted, because the opening riff in that first track is reminiscent of Revolution is My Name.

I'm sick of Pantera too man, but don't get your panties in a bunch because I'm not a fanboy and can remain objective.

The riff sounds like fucking Pantera, only more stale. Get over it.

I don't think Pantera's best even competed with Helstar's worst (Multiples of Black). .

I'm not a very big Pantera fan, but that's a pretty big claim right there. I'll download it and check it out, but basically you're saying that Far Beyond Driven or Trendkill isn't even in the same ballpark as Helstar? Musicianship aside because we all know they weren't the most technical of bands, but they wrote really cool songs in the 90's...Pantera, that is.

I'd say yer exaggerating a bit.

Strike one, right off the bat for Helstar...the singer is fucking annoying. He's talented and has a good range, but I'd hate to sit through an entire set and hear that vibrato all night. Good falsetto, though. And if you wanna talk about range, I've got two words for you: Andre Matos.

Strike two, it's not very original. There are a bajillion other power metal bands doing it better and faster these days. As far as thrash goes, I'll take Exodus or Tankard over these guys, thanks. Even Seed Awakening shits all over anything these guys are doing...those triplets are a bitch.

In my eyes, these guys are 0 for 2 so far...surprise me and prove me wrong with some really kickass metal or else I retain my opinion. Based on these three songs, I'm very reluctant to even download something else from them.

Pantera sucks.

Maybe the new Helstar songs are not that original or breathtaking, but the first four albums are masterpieces.

Pantera >> Helstar

Distant Thunder and Nosferatu are great albums though.

I don't feel like listening to this new stuff though, but Helstar is more comparable to Sanctuary than Pantera, not really the same league.

far beyond driven is still better than almost everything that exists.

Strike two, it's not very original. There are a bajillion other power metal bands doing it better and faster these days. As far as thrash goes, I'll take Exodus or Tankard over these guys, thanks. Even Seed Awakening shits all over anything these guys are doing...those triplets are a bitch.

Hrm. Helstar played metal in the 80s and reformed last year I think, so they are original, they are an orginator of the USPM scene. Please show me 50 more bands that are good in the USPM scene if it's unoriginal and stale, my list is really short due to how obscure it is.

Exodus? They havent been thrash since Bonded By Blood and they aren't even comparable because it's not the same thing.

Please show me 50 more bands that are good in the USPM scene if it's unoriginal and stale, my list is really short due to how obscure it is.

I never said there are 50 other USPM bands that are better than Helstar....I said there are a bajillion other power metal bands better than Helstar. Period. I don't give a rat's ass if they're from Timbuktu or Antarctica....it doesn't matter where they're from. And to be honest, if Helstar is the best power metal the US has to offer (your words), I'll stick with the rest of the world. I'm American, but I think it's stupid to give a band any leeway in terms of whether you think it's good music or not just because we're all from the same country. A spade is a spade. I live in Italy and I think Rhapsody are a joke, even if Luca Turilli is a great guitarist. They're from Trieste, which is about an hour from where I live, but I don't care. I don't like them, no matter where they're from.

If you like a band, GREAT! We're all mature adults here and we all like different things and many of us have clashing opinions about music, but that doesn't mean we're weaker people for it. Like I said, I'm not attacking them personally, I just think the new music is boring. I'm sure they're really nice guys because you don't last 20+ years in relative obscurity with such a cult following by being an asshole.

Exodus? They havent been thrash since Bonded By Blood and they aren't even comparable because it's not the same thing.

Yeah, Shovel Headed Killing Machine is doom metal. Testament's The Gathering shits on almost every thrash album that has come out in the last 15 years, btw. Testament started to lose it after Low and then all of a sudden they nuke everything in sight with that album. THAT'S my Bay Area thrash metal.

Again, I've yet to hear their best stuff, so I'm not gonna pass judgement just yet. But to be honest, those three new songs suck. I pray to the gods they're other stuff is worthy of the obvious buzz they've been getting over the past 20 years. That's another thing; just because a band has been around for 20+ years doesn't make them a good band...it just makes them hard-headed and either unable to take a hint or really driven and passionate about their music. The Rolling Stones haven't put out a decent song since the 70's...well, Start Me Up is ok...but I'm not going to automatically like them because they've got tenure.

IMHO, I think Bruce Dickinson's Chemical Wedding album is better than anything Iron Maiden ever did, and I love Maiden. The only song that comes close for me is Wasted Years.

It's really weird talking to a guy whos probably been into metal twice as long as me and doesnt know USPM and actually good thrash metal. And you're getting way more uppity and in arms than I am so stop that whole opinion shit it's obvious im not a retard.

Not getting uppity or up in arms, just responding to your posts. It started as a harmless, "sounds like Pantera to me" and then your response was like NO YOU'RE WRONG! THEY ARE THE GREATEST USPM BAND EVAAARRRRRRRRR AND IT DOESN'T SOUND LIKE PANTERA LOLZ HOW STUPID!!!! Well, to my ears it did.

All I said was the riff sounded like it was borrowed from Revolution is My Name. I then expanded on my opinion of the other aspects to give you an idea of my tastes.

I'm really picky about my thrash metal, however. I like there to be a song in it and not just 2/4 time or polka beats with tremolo picking and power chords, drowned out by double bass so every song sounds the same, a la Destruction or Kreator. Seen em both at least 4 times and ever time gets more boring than the last. This is just my opinion, but I'm not saying they're bad bands...most of the songs are just kinda like, "Woo hoo, I can play fast!" Well, so can I.

Gimme some good thrash bands because maybe I'm really missing out on something.

Toxik
Realm
Heathen
Hades
Vendetta
Hallow's Eve
Agent Steel(first 2)
Annihilator (first 2)
Ulysses Siren
Cardinal Sin
Slayer (Show No mercy -- if ur gay and dont have this for some reason)
Target
Messiah Force
Su Ta Gar
Usurper(the black/thrash and thrash one)
ADX
Artillery(up to By Inheritance)
Sodom
Sadus
Atrophy
Believer
Blind Illusion
Blood Feast
Dark Angel (Darkness Descends if you dont have this dot dot dot)
Death Angel (UViolence is only 'essential' one imho)
Decimator
Evil Dead
Flotsam and Jetsam (latest and debut only imho)
Forbidden (first 2)
Grinder
Heretic
Incubus
Liar(UK)
Living Death
Necrodeath
Sabbat
Coroner
Vio-Lence
Watchtower
Whiplash