New Interview w/Ron...Great WT News

gypsyshred

The Anti-keyboard
Jan 24, 2004
South Carolina
SPASTIC INK - Math Metal To The Extreme [Riff Notes - 04.10.10 02:35:23]

BW&BK recently caught up with SPASTIC INK/WATCHTOWER guitarist Ron Jarzombek - the brother of ex-HALFORD/ICED EARTH drummer Bobby - to discuss the latest Spastic Ink album, Ink Compatible. Over the course of the interview Jarzombek discussed his influences, progressive metal in general, and the future of WatchTower.

Influences:

"Most of my influence comes from Rush, but honestly, I don’t listen to a lot of stuff. I’ll check out what’s out there, usually downloading a few clips off the net off of a band’s website. I buy maybe two or three CDs a month. That’s about it. I have both copies of Liquid Tension Experiment, and I think it’s some great stuff. Brilliant writing and killer playing. And Steve Vai has had a serious impact on me. His Flexable CD was a huge influence on me. The song 'A Wild Hare' from Spastic Ink’s first CD, Ink Complete, was a direct result of Steve’s work on Zappa’s Dangerous Kitchen. It’s also very cool that LTE CDs led to Jordan Rudess’ joining Dream Theater, which probably sparked Derek Sherinian to start up a total tech/prog band, which resulted in Planet X. I have their Moonbabies CD and it’s probably one of my top 10 CDs ever."

Progressive metal in the 21st Century:

"The genre has turned into a sad, burned out cliché of itself. It’s become so watered down that they’ve had to create a new genre for the more extreme bands – now referred to as 'technical metal' or 'math metal'. Both of those tags are cool, and I don’t mind either of them, but isn’t being technical somewhat progressive? Very!! So then why are a bunch of lame keyboard metal bands labeled 'progressive metal' and the real progressive bands aren’t? It doesn’t make sense. I feel like I’m getting kicked out of my own house! There are even some bands on current rock radio that are heavier and more progressive than most 'prog metal' bands, namely Mudvayne, Tool, and even Slipknot."

WatchTower:

"In 2000, Tower played the Bang Your Head festival in Germany. Things went very well and it got us getting closer to putting another CD together. We had been writing material since the end of the Control And Resistance tour, and after the Bang Your Head appearance we got together for several months after and nearly completed the CD. Well, several months ago, we played the Headway Festival in Holland, and after coming back we started writing again, but this time we completed the writing for (new album) Mathematics. We are scheduled to start recording drums in a few weeks. After WatchTower completes the recording we’ll probably play a few festivals here in the States and in Europe."

-"Lame Keyboard metal bands..." :D Truer words were never spoken.
That'll be 3 releases in 3 years for Ron, WTF? :confused: