New Jimi Hendrix!??

bt9x

Feb 28, 2003
northeast
Visit site
your thoughts on any "supposed" "new" Jimi Hendrix

album to be called; Valleys Of Neptune

don't get me wrong-i am a huge Hendrix fan:worship:notworthy:headbang:

his relevance to the music we love and correspond about has/is debatable but undeniable

Ahhh... Rummaging through the Jimi archives once again. Looks like this album is mostly alternate cuts of tunes that have already been released. Could be worth checking out, or could be stuff we've heard before. Amazing how many albums they're released over the years, considering that he was only really on the scene for about 5 years.

there is a new hendrix/stephen stills jam session album due in late 2010 supposedly and the hendrix studio albums are going to be remastered with bonus tracks

there is a new hendrix/stephen stills jam session album due in late 2010 supposedly and the hendrix studio albums are going to be remastered with bonus tracks

There's a bootleg of the Hendrix / Stills jam has been in circulation for ages. I don't recall the material being very intriguing.

There's a bootleg of the Hendrix / Stills jam has been in circulation for ages. I don't recall the material being very intriguing.

i believe that was a bootleg of hendrix/stills during the recording of stills first solo album right before jimi died. i think this new album is stuff stills found in a box a few years ago that was recorded from 1968-1970. i could be wrong though but from what stills has said this stuff is unheard by the public in any form

Ahhh... Rummaging through the Jimi archives once again. Looks like this album is mostly alternate cuts of tunes that have already been released. Could be worth checking out, or could be stuff we've heard before. Amazing how many albums they're released over the years, considering that he was only really on the scene for about 5 years.
Actually one tune was never released according to his estate... the title track: Valleys of Neptune. And another track is a cover of Cream's Sunshine of Your Love... :kickass:

ahh yes, they should never release his legacy so his fans can't enjoy it.. and never mind trying to recoup the costs of releasing such material or to provide for his surviving family members which I'm sure Jimi would of wanted... of course not, what were they thinking...

i saw an interview that said every song on this album is either an unheard alternate take or an unreleased take. maybe thats true. i just got the 4 disc hendrix boxset for christmas that was basically alternate takes and live stuff. its starting to feel a little like SRV now though. a new album where a few songs are unreleased and the rest is stuff we already own

I just heard this today on "Deeptracks". Jimis been so important to me as a guitar player and I was into his first three albums back in the day, give and take a few songs here and there. What was released after he died almost seemed to soil him somewhat. Really bad live performances, unfinished studio work obvioulsy not up to what he wanted or they would have been done and recorded. Alot of guitar work finished by one of his clones that still couldnt capture his magic moments. Frankly if they wanted to do any of that stuff the best it could have been done they should have called in Trower, Marino and Vaughan to sort it out and perform the work for missing or inadaquate guitar tracks and put it out there as being just that. Would have probably taken too much money out of the works to call in the best at channeling Hendrix but at least it would have been THE BEST.

People struggle too much with the "what could have been" with Hendrix. I have for decades myself but today I really think he was headed for falling off the map anyhow. Seemed he didnt know what way to go, his later writting was not what his earlier work was. He was fried ! He wanted to go into fusion/freeform but his freeform jams got horrible too often. Then the black community was pulling hard on him to "come home" so he was doing more soul inspired grooves and to me just seemed so disjointed in his writting.

I just wish they would put out a best of the best live and rare tracks. There has been so much released that was total garbage and should have remained in the closet.

I think the best we could hope for here is a few jems that we will still recogonize as not being up to Jimis satisfaction at the point he left them at.

Actually one tune was never released according to his estate... the title track: Valleys of Neptune. And another track is a cover of Cream's Sunshine of Your Love... :kickass:

Sunshine is on the BBC Sessions cd. I think it's on some of the other official live releases as well. There are just so many Hendrix compiliations that have been released over the years, I would not expect this one to be particulary distinuishable from the others.

Jam version of Sunshine on live at Winterland. Live in Winterland has its moments of brilliance but most of it is spas and not enjoyable listening. Three band members doing solos at the same time... its just not grounded.

Sunshine is on the BBC Sessions cd. I think it's on some of the other official live releases as well. There are just so many Hendrix compiliations that have been released over the years, I would not expect this one to be particulary distinuishable from the others.

this is an official studio version of sunshine though. when i get a chance later i'll post the recording credits of each tune. someone on another forum posted the musicians and recording dates of each tune

Heard a song from this early this morning on XM, it was decent, typical Billy Cox era (band of Gypsys) funky soul sound. Was not Miles on drums, I forget who this drummer was and someone else on harp IIRC, but I couldnt hear this extra player, I was busy getting ready to leave... also forgot the name of the song already. Good song but not a stand out, good guitar work but again nothing we havent already heard him play.

Im not downing it, just reporting in, I didnt expect any new revelations after 40 years anyhow.

I liked it, and yes, very Band of Gypsys. Pretty much them in the studio...give or take. I dig it! And it's a sign of where Hendrix was going when before he died. I will buy for sure, though previously I was skeptical.

I liked it, and yes, very Band of Gypsys. Pretty much them in the studio...give or take. I dig it! And it's a sign of where Hendrix was going when before he died. I will buy for sure, though previously I was skeptical.

i tend to like this period in his career more than the earlier stuff but really there never was a band of gypsys

They did some live gigs Matt. Some of the best Hendrix live improv came during that period which I mostly credit to Cox and Miles keeping a solid bottom as opposed to the Experience's complete free for all jams. His studio jam of Born Under a Bad Sign I believe was with these two and is a improv master piece of Hendrix in his zone. For song writing I prefer the Experience days, with Axis representing his most profound writing and overall guitar skills, not that the other two recordings were absent of various innovations or excellent songs.

They did some live gigs Matt. Some of the best Hendrix live improv came during that period which I mostly credit to Cox and Miles keeping a solid bottom as opposed to the Experience's complete free for all jams. His studio jam of Born Under a Bad Sign I believe was with these two and is a improv master piece of Hendrix in his zone. For song writing I prefer the Experience days, with Axis representing his most profound writing and overall guitar skills, not that the other two recordings were absent of various innovations or excellent songs.

they did some gigs and released a live album that was released only to fullfill a contract obligation to someone but if you read the history of the band and the short time together its not really want hendrix wanted and thats what i was talking about. of course there was a band of gypsys but it was by accident and hendrix got mitch mitchell back pretty quick imo

I'll look into it some more Matt, I had been under the impression he was happy with the change, but its been ages since I read much.

It could be interesting to further speculate his future ventures, such as ELP, Cobham/Hammer, the various musicians that stopped into jam at Electric Lady studios. Pointless but interesting