New Katatonia Guitar Tone

The Incision

Fuck fred durst!
Feb 22, 2003
California
www.theincision.com
Does anyone out there have any ideas or cluesof how to get the guitar tone Katatonia gets out of the new stuff. It seems to be alot more full alot more toneful than all there otherstuffm any suggestions as of why or of how it is possible to get that Katatonia guitar tone? Thanks:confused:

Here's what anders had told about it:

"Getting into details, I could mention that an overall upbeat pace has been applied to the main songs, we've dropped tuning from D# to C"

Originally posted by The Incision
Im just curious as to where you heard that from Anders? I am really looking for info or facts as to Anders guitar playing &/or his equipment. Thanks

You can still find that statement in the news section of www.katatonia.com . As for equipment details, just take a look at the member profiles in the band section :)

According to a recent Dan Swano interview, they were trying to get a guitar sound similar to the one Mudvayne used on their latest album.

Wow, well I new alot of the guys liked the new mudvayne cd but its kind of suprising to imagine katatonia with mudvaynes guitar sound. Aren't most of Katatonia's songs tuned in standard tuning? Almost all tabs I've read all the way back to Discouraged Ones are, but well hell, they could be wrong.

Brave Murder Day and Discouraged Ones are in D#
Tonight's Decision and LFDGD are in C#(though I think The Future of Speech has 6th string dropped in B)
Viva Emptiness is in C

Enjoy D-tuning and C-tuning your guitars:)

LFDGD and TD are tuned in E-flat or D# which is the same thing. Surely if you have ever played a Katatonia song on guitar or seen them play live you would realise that. But yea Evidence sounds like it is in C

Ghost Tears said:
LFDGD and TD are tuned in E-flat or D# which is the same thing. Surely if you have ever played a Katatonia song on guitar or seen them play live you would realise that. But yea Evidence sounds like it is in C

I think you have mistaken about this1. I'm pretty sure that Tonight's Decision guitar tunings are in C#.
Just listen to the intro chords to For My Demons(when the distortion comes in):
the first chord is B (played in C# tuning, which sounds like G# in standard, E tuning); the 2nd chord is A, and, most importantly, the third1 is open E (which sounds like C# in C# tuning), so it has to be C# tuning, as the open chord sounds like C#.

Hope this haven't confused you, but I can't explain this in another way.

cheerz

I've heard the new Katatonia album throughly and I refuse to believe that the guitar tone is supposed to sound like that of Mudvayne! There's a big difference... Mudvayne is terrible and Katatonia is one of the greatest bands ever! How can it be? AHHH!!!

By the way, sense my sarcasm, please... I still HATE Mudvayne though...