New King Diamond - Big thumbs up!

ElectricWiz

Steal Your Face
Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
I picked up the new King Diamond today, and can happily say it's great. I've only been through it once, so I can't really give a deep review, but right off the bat I can say that it is very much in line with the last one (the excellent Puppet Master). King seems to have found his new niche with these last couple of albums.....call it King Diamond phase II (or III, or IV...) but he's really onto something. I'd call it a mix of Puppet Master and one of the older classics, ala Them, Conspiracy, or Abigail.......

I'm sure I'll be spinning it over and over for awhile, just like with Puppet Master.

Good stuff. The King can still deliver.

Incidentally, it's about time Andy Laroque got credit as one of the most interesting, technically brilliant, and yet restrained guitarists in metal. He's been cranking out awesome (oftentimes bizarre) riffs for years now. And he's been in the stratosphere solo-wise since waaaay before half the guys people freak out on these days were even playing. Did anybody but me think that Psalm of Lydia from This Godless Endeavor sounded like Jeff Loomis' tribute to Andy? Maybe not....anyway, he should be talked about waaaay more than he is....

I have to agree, really good album. I've read a bunch of reviews for it to kind of get the general feeling for the album and it's suprisingly mixed. I don't get it, because when i first heard it, it got me almost instantly. I realize King's vocals are mixed a bit differently, so therefore not as strong as usual, but other than that, it has solid songwriting, excellent guitar playing by Andy LaRocque AND Mike Wead.

I think it's just as good as The Puppet Master, personally.

And "The Never Ending Hill" is one of King's strongest songs in YEARS!!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

I've yet to buy it, but the samples haven't thrilled me. Of course, being only 30 seconds long, there is a margin for 'error' with placing too much weight in samples. Being that Puppet was, IMO, the best thing he's done since the Eye, and is probably his 3rd best recod IMO, I'm sure I'll dig it.

Soundmaster, I'll send it to ya....spare ya' the purchase in case you don't like it(though I think you will). Dropping you a package soon (I'm working today, so probably Monday).

Cheers!

I dig it! This is up at the top of releases this year. Everything on it is great, and the story is right on for King.

Can't believe I must wait this long to see him though...April...arrghhh

I have to agree, really good album. I've read a bunch of reviews for it to kind of get the general feeling for the album and it's suprisingly mixed. I don't get it, because when i first heard it, it got me almost instantly. I realize King's vocals are mixed a bit differently, so therefore not as strong as usual, but other than that, it has solid songwriting, excellent guitar playing by Andy LaRocque AND Mike Wead.

I think it's just as good as The Puppet Master, personally.

And "The Never Ending Hill" is one of King's strongest songs in YEARS!!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:[/QUOTE

King told me that he didn't rely on falsetto on this album. For the first time you are hearing his natural voice.

i thought it was only a tiny bit below puppet master which i thought was great. not a masterpiece but definately not a letdown and hearing the new songs live at a show won't bring the show down at all or anything. solid album.

I picked this up last week, after miraculously only hearing one song (Never Ending Hill) prior to the release date. For the most part, I normally don't put too much stock in the comments left on blabbermouth.net, but there was an article last week about an interview with King Diamond where a poster went into a significant amount of detail regarding how/why it was blatantly obvious that this album (among others by King) contains the work of, for lack of a better term, a drum machine. I have always wondered why his recent albums have sounded kind of "blah", and now I am convinced as to why.

I have tried to get past that post, and listen to this album, but it's just not working. I got 3 or 4 songs in, and the drums are just, as described, lifeless. Every cymbal sounds exactly the same, and I could play better fills with my hands tied behind my back....and I'm a guitar player. Listen to the snare/tom fills and you'll see what I mean. They are way too basic, especially when you compare them to some of the "footwork" going on. No drummer who is that good with this feet, could possibly be that lame with his hands.

Any help or proof of the contrary, will for sure be appreciated. Sorry to sound so matter of fact with my opinion/disappointment, but I am truly crushed by this discovery.

I have a DL'd copy of the promo (no voiceovers), can anyone verify that the promo sound has been reduced as compared the actual cd? (Sixx?)

I'm diggin' the music, but I'm maxing out my sound controls to get decent bass and treble. If the final mix sounds this muddy I'm not going to buy it on principle alone.

I can accept adjusting all my tone controls for an old 80s album, but in the day and age of Pro Tools there is no excuse for bad production even if you have to mix it yourself (as I understand they did).

I have a DL'd copy of the promo (no voiceovers), can anyone verify that the promo sound has been reduced as compared the actual cd? (Sixx?)

I'm diggin' the music, but I'm maxing out my sound controls to get decent bass and treble. If the final mix sounds this muddy I'm not going to buy it on principle alone.

I can accept adjusting all my tone controls for an old 80s album, but in the day and age of Pro Tools there is no excuse for bad production even if you have to mix it yourself (as I understand they did).

The version I bought and the one I got in the mail are pretty clear in fact the production is slick. Now I will admit with the copy I accessed through the label's press page was a little bit muddy, but I think that was due to how it was compressed and also probably to discourage people from sharing this particular version?! As far as I know there were no discs shipped with voice overs at least in the states. I know for this album Metal Blade didn't even press samplers... That was a little strange as I got samplers with the last three albums as well as review copies...

I thought I was called "Being A Pirate." You have tought me well, Master. One day, I'm gonna kick your ass.:lol:
Aarrg, don't ye be gettin' cocky, me little wench! I'll be kickin' the shite outta yer bloomers.

The version I bought and the one I got in the mail are pretty clear in fact the production is slick. Now I will admit with the copy I accessed through the label's press page was a little bit muddy, but I think that was due to how it was compressed and also probably to discourage people from sharing this particular version?! As far as I know there were no discs shipped with voice overs at least in the states. I know for this album Metal Blade didn't even press samplers... That was a little strange as I got samplers with the last three albums as well as review copies...
I'm guessing that DL I got was the compressed version you speak of. I have to max out the treble and bass controls just to make it sound like it was recorded in 1982 on a budget. I can certainly understand their attempt to diminish unauthorized sharing of a new album before its release date, but that's a double edged sword. See, by making the production so shitty I had already decided not to buy it. As it is, I still need to hear a factory copy somewhere before I open my wallet...just to be sure.

Great release, as expected.
Andy LaRouque really shines through on this release, IMHO.
Perfect follow up to the Puppet Master.
Can't wait for next year's tour w/ KREATOR.

Andy LaRocque is probably the most underrated guitarist, ever. Fucking criminally underrated.

Gosh, I haven't picked up a KD album in years, I am currently spinning Abigail in my car. I might just have to check this one out!