New Kontakt Bass Instrument

FrankTheSmith

Apr 20, 2013
http://frankthesmith.bigcartel.com/products

ofocjn.jpg

Product info box has a pretty detailed description.

Processing info:
D.I.
Bass > Daw
Preset 1
Maxon > Ampeg SVT classic > DAW > SVT 8x10 Impulse > 30% Eq match> EQ > Limiter
Preset 2
Sansamp pedal > Ampeg SVT classic > DAW > SVT 4x10 Implulse > Decapitator > Waves CLA Bass > EQ > Limiter
Preset 3
Maxon > Rat2 > Ampeg SVT classic > DAW > Ampeg VL/Vb4 Impulse Blend > EQ > Limiter
Preset 4
Sansamp pedal > Bugera 6260 matching cab > sm7b - Carvin m68 > DAW > RBass > EQ > Limiter

There is a free download of a minute clip of the bass D.I. with a guitar and drums backing track for you to test out your own processing on

Audio Examples:

Preset 1

Preset 2

Preset 3

Preset 4

Last edited by a moderator:
Half the sample amount/file size. Like 4 down picks, 4 up, 4 tap, etc. Similar to a few of the other cool bass vsti's.
The full one is the one I went above and beyond on with double the usual amount of samples and articulations. 8 down pick, 8 up, 8 tap, 16 alt, etc.
Both have the humanizing script for automatic velocity, tuning and timing fluctuation.
Both come with D.I. tone and 4 preset tones I made.

thats cool! will you make other similar products on future? and one more question, how the 8samples used for example in a breakdown? it will not use the same note and same sample every time?it use 1-2-3 or random algorithm?

I would like to make more of different basses but for right now this is all I need for my mixing/demos.

The picking is in round robin algorithm.

Downpick
d1, d2, d3, d4, d5, d6, d7, d8 Repeat

Up pick
u1, u2, u3, u4, u5, u6, u7, u8 Repeat

Altpick
d1, u1, d2, u2, d3, u3, d4, u4, d5, u5, d6, u6, d7, u7, d8, u8 Repeat

Tap/hammer-on
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Repeat

same with all slides, dead notes, string noise.

nki's look like this
With the humanizing script it comes with every note always has a random velocity, tune, timing so even if it cycles completely around the samples will still have variations.
The amount of velocity, tuning, timing can be changed and turned on and off.

125ibg3.jpg

I worded that wrong.
The lowest actual recorded not is a low A and kontakt pitch shifts it down to low C
So for a drop G# song it will be shifted down a half step.
The preset 3 video at 2:27 is G#
Kontakt handles pitch shifting really well up until around 3-4 whole steps, then notes in general are just too low to even sound good.

Sweet, perfect if i want to play with an 8-string guitar in Drop C an octave lower than normal. Don't even own an 8-string ^^
I guess lower than like F/G sounds like garbage so its probably better to play an octave higher. I'm thinking of buying a 8-string and tune it to like drop D#. But it will probably sound better if the bass is playing an normal D#

The new After The Burial song A Wolf Amongst Ravens is in low C# with the bass in regular C#. Sounds tight.

Here's a short mix test with the FTS Edge Bass using the stems from Born of Osiris' song "Machine"
I took out the bass stem and added the FTS Edge Bass D.I.

Bass processing
CLA-76 > TSE BOD > Compressor/Gate > EQ > Limiter

The guitars fade in and out every few bars so you can get the basic idea of of the rhythm section.

Some more mixes using the FTS Edge Bass.
Also made some PreEQ'd guitar impulses.