New line up better, worse, or the same live?

awia

Apr 6, 2010
personally the dude got a six string bass and he is finger picking thats an auto step up from the previous guy to me + long hair how bout you?

I think its nice that Sodomizer is doing backups too. He has a good harmony voice, bit like Blakkie.

I've never seen the original line-up, sadly, except in videos so my opinion is a bit void, but I can say at least that the performance was good. I only remember one mistake that was really noticable, but it all came together again in seconds.

Only.. Blakkie didn't scream on Ghost Of The Sun. Please do that again :eek:

Unfortunately I haven't really seen the "Norrman lineup" live... but nevertheless the new guys seem to do it quite well. The only things that were, I guess, a bit unusual to me is the long hair stuff (dunno why, I wasn't really used to associating Katz and long hair =D ) and Sodo's voice, which at first seemed to be kinda too "bright" in comparison to those щи Blakkie and Jonas. But after all it's alright and the backing vocals are now more diverse, which certainly isn't bad. And yep, there were no screams by Blakkheim at all =((( Btw I didn't really manage to see much of Niklas, the only thing I noticed is finger picking, and here I'll also agree )))

personally it was kind of strange and at the first sight norman brothers lack was evident....because katatonia used to be so, for many years.
but during the gig, new members and old :) melt good together. sodomizer and nille are not only good musician but also good looking so, well done. now let' s see

Different but still 100% Katatonia, I'd say.
Both, Sodomizer and Niklas performed excellently and it did not at all feel like they were only temporary replacements. I had the impression they were really into it, not just doing a job. I hope they stay!
The most significant improvement is the vocals. Much more efficient with 2 backing singers. For example, on the last UK- tour, Forsaker sounded a bit incomplete with only Jonas voice. Now, with Sodomizer, I fully enjoy the live version of this song. And of course Idle Blood with all 3 of them singing is great. And I also have to mention Onward Into The Battle, definitely a new Kata- highlight!
Only during the older songs I kind of missed the Norrmans, but it seems I'm getting over it easier than expected, because, like I said, the new guys fit in very well.
Concerning Niklas: Yes, finger picking is cool! And he's very nice. But of course Mattias' style was also very cool.
The hair: There's nothing wrong with long hair, is there?
Friends of mine, who don't really consider themselves as Katatonia fans but have seen the band with the old and the new line up, were positively surprised. And from most of the real Kata fans I talked to, I heard only good feedback. No worries, this band still rules! Go and see them live, you won't be disappointed!
It's so sad the European tour is over, I still haven't seen them often enough...

the new songs seems to be lacking power, from what i can tell from videos, the sounds isn't BIG? enough

edit: i think katatonia is more of a studio band than a live band, anyone agree with that

I hope both Nille and Sodo will continue to play with Katatonia. They were both great on stage, Sodo also with backing vocals - sometimes I liked his vox even more than Anders' - and Nille's got a very metal attitude. Bass is my fave instrument and I always paid attention to their way of playing. Well, of course Mattias had a more rock'n'roll attitude in my opinion, but the Norrman bros left the band so I hope that Nille and Sodo are the future.

P.S. When I saw them playing live in 1996, there was Micke Oretoft at bass, the same guy from the line up of ''Discouraged Ones''. So I've seen Katatonia playing with 3 different bass players.