New Metal/Rock Rough mix recorded live...

MarcusD777

Dec 15, 2007
www.myspace.com
So i just tracked some quick live demos of a few songs by this band Burning The Canvas for pre production before I have them come down to my school in Boston to record on the ol SSL console... Anyways I brought my portable rig (laptop, Audition 3.0, and firepod) to track shit live (2 guitars miced, bass direct, and 2 OHs, snare, and kick for drums) in their rehearshal space... I posted up a clip off the first song "Loaded White Gun"...

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=803131

*edit* I put up a more "mastered" volume wise version up as well on the site with a lil more bite from the SSL GBuss...

guitar right - VHT pitbull with matching cab miced with a Shure Beta 57
guitar left - 5150 with peavey cab miced with a Shure SM 57
Bass - direct out of Ampeg SVT pro w/ tubescreamer for boost
drums - 2 shitty OH mics, Shure SM58 on Snare and Kick

So far the rough mixes I have done are sounding pretty good considering they were tracked live in the same room and only having single tracked guitars... The kick is all natural (w/ some extensive eqing and comp) soo far but will probably reinforce it later with a blended sample... The natural snare is blended with a DKFH sample but will add in another layered sample later for some more thwack... Unfortunately i didn't have enough inputs to mic up the toms (hence them not being heard in the mix haha) so i will either try to edit them out of the OHs to trigger later or have the drummer replay his few Tom fills miced up... Im not positive on how i should treat the overheads mainly bc the drummer rocked an open hi hat (how i despise open hi hats) for some parts so it cuts through alot more... I ended up trying to squash em for a more aggressive swishy sound... that may change later...

Anyways just looking for any insight on the basic sounds or positive criticism to where the rest of the mix should go... just have the clean guitar jazzy part in the middle to track seperatley and then the vox...

- Marcus

Are you going to record them again, or not? If so, this sounds good enough to use as ruff mixes to get the ideas through. Don't work on it like it's the final recording.

Thanks man... Yea they are going to be pre production stuff but they plan on using them for their myspace in the meantime until we re track them in a professional studio... So although im not going to spend a lot of time on them I still need to get a decently good mix going on... So any other insights are welcome and/or ideas how I can either re track the toms separately or try to edit/copy them from the OH to trigger on separate tracks would be cool...

- Marcus