New Metallica album to be good?

i just don't understand how the same people that are making these terrible songs made the first metallica albums. obviously they had a sense of quality in them, what happened to it? or more likely, what were they smoking during the first albums?
Are you referring only to St. Anger? Because if you're also talking about Load and Reload, then please explain exactly what was so terrible about them.

I will definetly get the album when it comes, actually looking forward to it. But I fell from the metallica boat a little after Reload (good album but just kind of got bored with the band) And then I did get ST. Anger when that came out but that was truly a piece of dog crap. Hopefully the new album will be decent, not expecting anything revolutionary, just some rocking music to play air guitar to.

I will definetly get the album when it comes, actually looking forward to it...

It includes recordings of Lars Ulrich, so it's very important to download it for free. I will also get the album but my expectations are very low.

Watching Some Kind of Monster sort of explained quite a bit. James and Lars seemed unbearably whiny and self-centred, having hired a psychologist to erect a containment field of platitudes to prevent their egos from disintegrating the band. James took ages agonising over lyrics that were dismal anyway... it was painful.

Metallica have been in creative freeze-frame slow motion for so long that I guess it's a testament to the impact they originally made on metal that people expect anything of them at all now. Does anyone else have the intuition that sometimes exceptional albums are recorded extremely fast, almost as if the creative inspiration is so strong that the musicians can barely stop it?

This kind of state is the antithesis of the laboured work of the likes of Metallica, Axl Rose et al.

The good songs on Load/Reload blow anything on The Black Album out of the water, imho. Not that that's a particularly grand achievement, but I really don't understand people that are like METALLICA DIED AFTER THE BLACK ALBUM LOLZ, that album is basically just as wussy and watered-down as Load and Reload and with less adventurous songwriting.

It includes recordings of Lars Ulrich, so it's very important to download it for free. I will also get the album but my expectations are very low.

Watching Some Kind of Monster sort of explained quite a bit. James and Lars seemed unbearably whiny and self-centred, having hired a psychologist to erect a containment field of platitudes to prevent their egos from disintegrating the band. James took ages agonising over lyrics that were dismal anyway... it was painful.

Metallica have been in creative freeze-frame slow motion for so long that I guess it's a testament to the impact they originally made on metal that people expect anything of them at all now. Does anyone else have the intuition that sometimes exceptional albums are recorded extremely fast, almost as if the creative inspiration is so strong that the musicians can barely stop it?

This kind of state is the antithesis of the laboured work of the likes of Metallica, Axl Rose et al.

Maybe you're right about that last statement... but it takes me a year to write a song :erk:

i just don't understand how the same people that are making these terrible songs made the first metallica albums. obviously they had a sense of quality in them, what happened to it? or more likely, what were they smoking during the first albums?

one could argue that after AJFA, there were no parts influenced by or lifted from burton and mustaine respectively.

one could argue that after AJFA, there were no parts influenced by or lifted from burton and mustaine respectively.

Based on everything I've heard/read, Burton hardly wrote anything apart from the basslines and a few melodic bits here and there (like the bridge in Orion). I don't buy the "Burton actually wrote every single song pre-Black Album besides the ones that Dave Mustaine wrote" explanation at all, especially seeing as how only a couple songs past Kill Em All could possibly be credited to Mustaine. They just simply wrote better songs then and decided to slow things down with the black album and then listened to a lot of skynyrd during their hiatus and turned into country fried alternative rock band. Some metal musicians actually follow the societal norm and start listening to/composing more boring stuff as they get older, I don't see why it shocks people so much.

Based on everything I've heard/read, Burton hardly wrote anything apart from the basslines and a few melodic bits here and there (like the bridge in Orion). I don't buy the "Burton actually wrote every single song pre-Black Album besides the ones that Dave Mustaine wrote" explanation at all, especially seeing as how only a couple songs past Kill Em All could possibly be credited to Mustaine. They just simply wrote better songs then and decided to slow things down with the black album and then listened to a lot of skynyrd during their hiatus and turned into country fried alternative rock band. Some metal musicians actually follow the societal norm and start listening to/composing more boring stuff as they get older, I don't see why it shocks people so much.

wankerness this has probably been asked before, but what song are those kids singing in your sig? its driving me mad.

Did anyone watch that Metallica documentary?

It amazed me how they wrote the songs for St Anger. It was like, Kirk just started playing some shitty blues riff out of nowhere and Lars improvised the beat, while James put his crappy lyrics over the top of all the racket. It was all just made up on the spot.

I mean, come on! 20 years and they haven't found a better method to create structured music?